The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 31, 2015, 10:05 AM   #26
bearhuntr

Have to be prepared for anything out there.

For close ranges:
1895SBL in 45/70 (Versatile round for deer through bear)
1894SS in 44
TC 460 S&W

For distant ranges and open terrain:
30-06
Old December 31, 2015, 10:34 AM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I go through most every season using my custom Savage 11 chambered in .243AI, my Encore Pro Hunter handgun chambered in 7mm-08 and a "Filth Blaster" that some folks call a Black Powder muzzleloader.

This year I could have just brought my sleeping bag and no gun, since I literally did not see a deer when I held a gun in my hands.
Old December 31, 2015, 07:33 PM   #28
old roper

If I draw buck tag same season as my bull elk tag, I'll use same rifles, one that I hunt with and back up rifle. If I draw separate season buck tag I have couple rifles just for that tag and same with cow elk tag. Bear tag have rifle for that and same with antelope tag if I draw one.
NRA Life Member
Old December 31, 2015, 10:14 PM   #29
Dirty_Harry

I always take 2 rifles to camp with me. I also always take my Glock 20 whenever I am in the woods. I like semi auto rifles. I took my 450 bushmaster to the UP this year, and plan to take my M1A scout squad next.

Go figure, the only deer killed in camp this year was by a friend using my 308 bolt gun.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old December 31, 2015, 10:42 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Go figure, the only deer killed in camp this year was by a friend using my 308 bolt gun.
Better than my average.
The only "animals" in my camp this year were skulls from moose, beef, a coyote-killed fawn, and some elk bones from the archery season. (We collected everything but the elk bones.)
Old January 9, 2016, 01:01 AM   #31
bamaranger

Multiple

As a bonafide rifle looney, there are lots of choices in my safe for deer. Sometimes I'll rest a rifle for a season, others see regular use. Over a 3-1/2 month gun deer season, there's lots of opportunity.

I sort of use the "golf club" approach, in that certain rifles fit the circumstances, or conditions anticipated . Example: One rifle that sees steady use every year since I've bought it is a stainless steel/synthetic Ruger 77MKII in 7.62x39mm. Loaded and scoped, I doubt it weighs more than 6-1/2 lbs, appreciated if hoofing it in a ways. In wet weather, low maintenance required, stainless steel. I don't worry about nicking the boat paddle stock when using a climbing stand, seems like I'm always wacking something with that dang stand on my back. I hunted it just this AM. Didn't see nothing.

I'll set another rifle out for longer ranges, when hunting the R.O.W;s near my home. For that, there's a Walmart Rem 700ADL in .270 and a 3-9x scope, and recently, a .308 Savage Hog Rifle too, with a 6x42 on it. Both of those are on deck this year, but the .270 has not been afield.

I've got some genuine brush rifles as well, and one of those generally will see use through the season, a scoped Mini 30, or a pair (one scoped the other with XS sights) older Ruger .44 carbines. This year the XS .44 has taken a rather unlucky 5pt, who had a worse morning than I did, after running out of gas on the ATV, killing the battery attempting to restart, than finding someone already hunting my desired spot. Took a walk primarily to scout in new territory, and along he came. Likely the last deer I will ever kill with peep sights.

Finally, I have an nostalgic streak, and will hunt a few rifles for sentimental reasons. The highlight of this year so far has been another buck that fell to my Grandads 1956 Winchester 88/.308. The old lever rifle has not spoken for blood in a long time. My notes show that the last deer I killed with it was Thanksgiving Day, 1993!!! That's 22 seasons ago. Basically retired as a family heirloom, I rescoped it this fall with a Leupold 6x36 (the old Bushnell Scopechief my Dad put on it was just not bright enough anymore) and took a small 3 pt meat buck for a disabled friend last Sunday with an easy 45 yd shot from a shooting house.

Hmm......! Should I hunt tomorrow........what rifle?
Old January 9, 2016, 02:07 PM   #32
Geezerbiker

I sight in and practice with 2 rifles before hunting season. I hunt with one and the other is in the truck in case I need a back up. A damaged scope or similar problem could ruin a hunt so why not bring a spare?

This year I hunted elk with a scoped .30-06 but I also brought along a .45-70 with a peep sight in case I got into a place where the hunting would be shorter range. In the hills of western Oregon there probably won't be any long shots anyway so either rifle would be OK...

Tony
Old January 9, 2016, 04:45 PM   #33
Crankylove

Depends on the tags I end up with.

Antelope usually get my .270 or .30-'06.

Deer hunt gets .22 Hornet, .270, or .358 Win.

Elk get .22 Hornet, .30-'06, or the .358.

Which one gets used depends on the terrain I plan on hunting that day, the weather, and how much weight I feel like packing that day.
Old January 9, 2016, 06:30 PM   #34
MGMorden

Quote:
Elk get .22 Hornet, .30-'06, or the .358.
. . . 22 Hornet is legal for elk?
Old January 10, 2016, 03:31 PM   #35
Crankylove

Quote:
22 Hornet is legal for elk?
It's legal in Utah for big game. Has to be a centerfire cartridge, fired from a rifle, using an expanding point bullet. Could use a rifle in .25 Auto if you wanted.

I've taken it on the elk and deer hunts for several years now. But never used it. I realize the limitations of that cartridge, and take it in the hopes of a one in a bazillion shot. You know, the one where I'm sitting at the campfire, and a nice cow or calf walks out of the woods, stops broadside 25 yards away, and patiently waits for me to retrieve the .22 Hornet, set up my shooting sticks, and put one into her head.

It goes along as more of a joke than anything else, but does make a good coyote/rabbit/squirrel gun.
Old January 10, 2016, 09:25 PM   #36
johnwilliamson062

I generally use one firearm for regular gun season and then my muzzle loader. Shotgun, rifle, or pistol. Several years I have just used my muzzle loader. It is my most accurate if the cap immediately ignites the charge, and it has the best ballistic/recoil characteristics out of the guns I currently have at my disposal. It is a real pain to clean and dealing with an un-fired load at the end of the season is a real PITB.

Next year I might hunt with two centerfires for the first time. Probably not the best idea. I also bought a new ML barrel with removable breech plug for next year which will aid in cleaning. Hopefully the TC barrels of today are as accurate as the ones of the 90s.
Old January 11, 2016, 05:41 AM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It is a real pain to clean and dealing with an un-fired load at the end of the season is a real PITB.
I know the circumstances of your hunts are different than what I deal with, but I take the easy route for unloading.

At the end of each day on a muzzleloader hunt, the rifle gets fired into a stump, berm, or improvised target.
Clear it out. Give the barrel a quick scrub. Start fresh in the morning.
Old January 12, 2016, 11:27 AM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
At the end of each day on a muzzleloader hunt, the rifle gets fired into a stump, berm, or improvised target.
Clear it out. Give the barrel a quick scrub. Start fresh in the morning.
Voluntary, daily torture instead of once at the end of the year.
Old January 12, 2016, 04:08 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

I've done it both ways. A lot depends on the location of my hunt and time I quit. I try to avoid firing after legal hunting time, especially on public land. I had the privilege of being checked by a state wildlife officer this year. He was pleasant and all my documents and equipment were in order, but, like an IRS audit, I prefer to avoid the experience.

I definitely do not unload daily though. Our firearm hunting seasons are 2-7 days. As long as it isn't soaked, I wait until the end of the season. I hate to leave pyrodex in the barrel for longer than that though. The 7 days is really pushing it, but I have never hunted all 7 days of gun season with it without a reason to discharge.
Old January 12, 2016, 05:34 PM   #40
azkid

I am relatively new at the hunting thing, having started only several years ago.

I've gotten one of each: pronghorn, elk, and deer, here in CO. All with one rifle. All I could afford. Deer at 70 yds, other two at nearly 300. So... I guess I don't need more rifles

But I wouldn't mind having a shorter, lighter brush gun. Maybe a lever gun cuz I have always wanted one.

It'd be fun to try a super accurate long range rifle for the speed goats but... not really required, for me at least.

More rifles = more fun right? Then again since I am also fairly new to rifles, maybe it's best to be really confident and proficient with one and just keep others as range toys.
Old January 15, 2016, 10:21 AM   #41
mouser868

I've used about 30 different calibers to hunt deer with, not all in the same season, but the end results were all the same, dead is dead
Old January 16, 2016, 12:41 AM   #42
Win73

Bow season opens Oct. 15 here in Alabama and runs through Jan. I hunted with my Barnett crossbow until the muzzleloader season opened on Nov. 16. I then switched to my NEF .50 caliber muzzleloader. Regular gun season opened on Nov. 21 so at that point I switched to my NEF .30-06. I didn't kill anything with the crossbow or muzzleloader. So far I have killed a five point buck (would have been six point if he hadn't broken off part of his right antler) with the '06.
All of our seasons run through Jan. so I hope to get at least one more deer. I have been thinking I might try to knock one down with my 1873 Winchester in .38-40.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 16, 2016, 02:35 PM   #43
Keg

2 at a time.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.JPG (125.5 KB, 13 views)
Old January 17, 2016, 06:52 PM   #44
FairWarning

Started as a youngster with .30-30, then went 8mm Mauser and never turned back.

I carry either my K98 Euro sporter or Remington 700 Classic in 8mm for deer, although I've always wanted a Sako in the ~7mm bore range, which I plan to get for next season. Would also like to pickup a CZ 550 in .308.
Old January 17, 2016, 07:50 PM   #45
Boogershooter

Today was the last day of deer season down here in louisiana and I pulled my seasonal log book to mark down what was killed with which guns. Here's a list of guns used in no particular order.
H&R 35 whelen
Winchester mod 70 fw 308
Winchester mod 70 fw 7mm-08
Winchester supergrade 338 winmag
Weatherby mark V 300 weatherby mag
Remington 700 30-06
Remington 742 30-06
Browning abolt 2 300 wsm
Sako forester 243
Winchester ext weather 264 winmag
Needless to say I didn't score with each of these but they did get out atleast once. Next year I will use some others.
Old February 21, 2016, 10:20 PM   #46
Duke1977

22 hornet for Elk? I'm a Utah boy and Ive never seen it done, not saying you can't but I wouldn't

Predators: 22lr, 17WSM, 223, 243

Deer and Elk: 243, 260, 270WSM, 7mm RM
Old February 22, 2016, 12:07 AM   #47
tahunua001

well it changes every year.

last year I harvested both whitetail and elk with an AR15 in 6.5 grendel. in addition to the grendel I proceeded to hunt deer with a 6.5 swedish mauser, and an sks. turkey were hunted with a mossberg 535 shotgun and grouse with a ruger 10/22.

the year prior to that was nearly identical with the exception that I didn't have a chance to harvest an elk and I didn't use the swedish mauser.

year prior to that, I harvested a black bear with a type 44 arisaka carbine, an elk with a 300 weatherby, a deer with a 9mm, turkey with the same shotgun, grouse with the same 10/22 as well as other grouse with a 44 mag...

this next year I will likely be hunting with an ar15 in 7.62x39mm with the SKS as backup, and a remington 700 in 243 and possibly a M1 garand for elk.
Old February 22, 2016, 06:11 AM   #48
RaySendero

My go-to rifle case this last year had an iron sight 303 and a scoped 30-06 in it.