The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 7, 2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Scorch

Does anyone here hunt pronghorn in Wyoming?

I am trying to plan a hunting trip for my son. This will be his first big game hunting trip, so I thought pronghorn would be a good choice since they are a pretty easy animal to bag, IME, yet still hard enough to make it seem like a real adventure for an 8 year old boy. I have never hunted pronghorn in Wyoming. Any suggestions as to where to hunt?
Old March 7, 2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Pahoo

South of Casper

Scorch
Many moons ago, we use to hunted out of Casper Wy. and south close to Shirley basin. Also you might find some good area around the Alcova area. This is a very large area and just about everywhere we went, we had no trouble finding pronghorns. See if you can find an outfit, in this area. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 7, 2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Crankylove

I hunted speed goats for several years on public land in western Wyoming, back when we're actually giving out tags. Also hunted a couple years near Baggs.

There are several units in eastern/north eastern Wyoming where you are almost guaranteed to draw, but 95% of the units are private land.

Goats are everywhere in Wyoming, so is the wind. I'd try and practice, a lot, compensating for wind. Most of my shots were dealing with wind anywhere from a lite breeze, 1-2 mph, to 20-30 mph sustained winds, with gust of 40-50 mph.

Drink lots of fluids that wind will dry you out in a hurry.
Old March 7, 2016, 11:42 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Public land units have very difficult drawing odds. And the easier the access (or the closer you get to Salt Lake City or Denver), the worse it gets.

Your best bet at a nearly 'guaranteed' hunt is one of the mostly-private units in Eastern/Northeastern Wyoming.
I've seen a lot of advertisements lately for trespass fees at $300-800 (some including minimal "guide services"). It's way too much for my bank account and my attitude toward paying for wildlife access, but it works for a lot of people.

I take my chances with Crankylove every year, and just hope to draw some doe tags on a public land unit in the Western half of the state.
Old March 8, 2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Old Stony

It's been some years ago, but I hunted them in the Casper area and down to Glendo. That Shirley Basin area has a lot of them and I always found landowners that were willing to let us hunt their land for a very reasonable fee. They were usually glad to point us to the areas where we were most likely to find the buggers.
The last trip I spent there, 4 friends went with me and we brought back 17 animals. I wish I could remember the names of the landowners we used, but my old brain seems to have lost them. If you spend a little time just knocking on doors and asking, you will make some good connections. Some of the smaller ranchers love to get hunters in as they consider it easy money for them. The last place I hunted there, the rancher lived a sort of primitive life and was very helpful. I remember the nicest piece of furniture in his house being a large Craftsman tool box....nice guy, but rugged.
Old March 8, 2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Wyosmith

Yeah Scorch.
PM me and I'll give you some good info.
I don't know what tags are available for non-residents, but I can tell you where I'd try if I were you.

Get used to shooting from prone and from sitting. Do not be afraid to get your belt buckle in the dirt. If you and your some can get used to being on the ground getting a pronghorn is not too hard.

Most writers in the magazines tell you that you must be able to shoot 400-500 yards.
Not true.

You just have to play the game on your rules, not on the antelopes rules.

Antelope are not very bright as compared to deer and elk.
But their eyesight is like a bird of pray and they speed is not far behind.

So don't make stalks that can be seen or recognized by them, and do not try to out maneuver a heard of pronghorns that are spooked as you might some deer. You will not stand a chance. Learn to use the land to your advantage.
I got one of my antelope last season at only about 10 yards, and about 6 years ago I killed one that was so close I blew some hair off with the muzzle blast.
Pm me and we'll talk.
Old March 8, 2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Pahoo

Great folks out thar !!!

Quote:
I always found landowners that were willing to let us hunt their land for a very reasonable fee. They were usually glad to point us to the areas where we were most likely to find the buggers.
This was my experience as I got to work with a resident electrician that really knew the area and had connections. He and his family, lived in a trailer and even though he didn't ask for a dime, we found a way to express our gratitude. By the way, they also have some monster Mullies.......

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 8, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old March 8, 2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Hunter Customs

I believe it was 1975 some friends and I hunted around Douglas area on the Reynolds Ranch.

At that time there was a tab on our tags we tore off to give the land owner, to my understanding the state paid a set amount for every tab the land owner sent in.

There was a lot of Antelope and Mule Deer.
Our group just had Antelope tags, all tags were filled.

I had read where the Antelope are very curious and the article referred to flagging them.
I had a stocking hat that I wore over my cap, I affixed the stocking hat to a stick so it would blow in the wind, down in a draw I would raise the stick to be about three feet tall get some attention from the herd then lower it, after several repetitions of this I had almost the whole herd within less then a 100 yards of me.

It was fun watching them run full tilt boogie until they get to a fence, then they would drop like their legs were kicked out from under them, go under the fence then bounce back up to start running again, it looked like they never missed a stride.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old March 8, 2016, 03:01 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I had read where the Antelope are very curious and the article referred to flagging them.
I had a stocking hat that I wore over my cap, I affixed the stocking hat to a stick so it would blow in the wind, down in a draw I would raise the stick to be about three feet tall get some attention from the herd then lower it, after several repetitions of this I had almost the whole herd within less then a 100 yards of me.
I had read and heard many stories about flagging and/or the curiosity of the animals, as well.

About 5 years ago in Western Wyoming, I was hustling down a dry river bed to close the gap on a herd. One of the times that I climbed the bank and popped into the sagebrush to check my position, I was busted by two bucks about 75 yards away (also trying to get to the herd).

I stood still for just a moment, trying to assess the situation as the goats got more agitated; and that's when the flagging and curiosity popped into my head.
I took off my orange cap and slowly waved it around a bit with my right hand, while I bobbed and weaved my head around like a drunken cockatoo, occasionally popping my whole upper body out of sight below the sagebrush and then back up. My family was watching the entire stalk from a small hill outside of our camp, and said my little 'dance' looked absolutely ridiculous.

But, after about 30-40 seconds, the bucks looked around slowly, put their heads down, and started picking at some sagebrush. I dropped back down the bank and finished the stalk with a 180 gr Norma Vulcan (.30-06) right through the bridge of a large doe's nose, and out the base of the skull, at about 125 yards. ...From behind a natural sagebrush blind and rifle rest, sitting comfortably on my butt. They never knew what hit her, and were so confused by the doe dropping and then the human appearing over her, that even while yelling at them about how stupid they were, I ended up with most of the herd only 75-100 yards away while doing initial field-dressing. But, of course, mine was the last tag that needed to be filled, so the stupid/curious herd was of no use to us.
Old March 8, 2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I've hunted public land around Casper a few times. Area 25 I believe.

Anyway, great area and lots of antelope.

A few tips...

Make sure you know exactly where you are. Public land isn't marked well and slipping onto private land can be a big deal. I have found that a lot of people will let you hunt if you ask them nicely, otherwise never assume. A good GPS with BLM maps is invaluable.

I have always been drawn for my first choice. You won't likely get a world record in 25 but you will get drawn and can kill your limit.

They can run up to 50 mph. We had a buck race us one day and we got the rental up to 50 before we backed off. I've heard they occasionally race cars and this one did. Ran
parallel to us and picked up the speed every time we did. Very cool to see.

They can jump fences but prefer to go under.

If you stalk one and it sees you but doesn't run, stop moving. In a minute or two they seem to forget about you and you might be able to resume your stalk.

Shots can be any place from 20 yards to 300 yards. Close shots happen more often than you might ever guess.
Old March 9, 2016, 03:49 AM   #11
Old Stony

We played around with them a lot when I was a kid in Nebraska and Wyoming. They have a strange thing when they get to running alongside you...they aren't really racing you, they want to cross in front of you. It doesn't seem to matter much which side they are on, but in open areas if you let them cross in front of you they go about their business.
They also really don't want to cross fence lines most of the time. If they are working their way away from you, they will generally follow the fence and only cross under it if pushed into a corner.
Strange critters, but a lot of fun to hunt.....
Old March 9, 2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The last place I hunted there, the rancher lived a sort of primitive life and was very helpful. I remember the nicest piece of furniture in his house being a large Craftsman tool box....nice guy, but rugged.
For sure. Generally very nice, helpful people. They love hunters and a few times we actually had people stop us and offer us their land to hunt on in exchange for the landowner tag.

Great people but as you said, some are rugged. Still a bit of old west in them.
Old March 9, 2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Ben Dover

Anyone who tells you that you must take shots at 300-400 yards has never hunted antelope. I've harvested several dozen in the Rawlins area, and NW of Cheyenne with almost all shots under 100 yards.

A 6MM Remington loaded with 85 grain Speer boat tails has worked quite for me and I've never lost an animal.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old March 9, 2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Old Stony

Quote:
A 6MM Remington loaded with 85 grain Speer boat tails has worked quite for me and I've never lost an animal.
Strange...but the last time I hunted antelope, I was using 85 gr. Speer HP bullets in a 6mm also. Really a nice round for antelope....
Old March 11, 2016, 02:36 AM   #15
Scorch

OK, guys, thanks for all the info. For right now, looks like I will be looking in the NE around Newcastle based on fish and game recommendations.
Old March 12, 2016, 08:08 PM   #16
Rembrandt

I hunted the New Castle area for about ten years, then they raised the tag prices to a point where we lost interest. Nice area and great people.
Old March 14, 2016, 11:15 AM   #17
kraigwy

Quote:
OK, guys, thanks for all the info. For right now, looks like I will be looking in the NE around Newcastle based on fish and game recommendations.
I live in Newcastle (or 10 miles from town anyway. I suggest area 7, tons of public land, and lots of Walk In Areas.

I never fail to tag out early the first morning.

Keep me in mind, if you draw area 7, PM me and I'll advise the best spot.

Prone isn't the best position. The grass/sage will block your view. Practice setting and kneeling.

Watch for rattlers.

Remember, its the law in Wyoming, if you shoot prone, setting or kneeling you have to set up in prickly pear cactus.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 14, 2016, 10:56 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

You forgot about the ants, Kraig.

Prickly Pear Cactus in the middle of an ant hill.
Old March 15, 2016, 12:41 AM   #19
Scorch

OK, Kraig, will do.

As far as the prickly pear, been there, done that. No fun.