The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 9, 2014, 01:17 PM   #1
MOA Steve

Interarms Mark X - Markings

I have an Alexandria Interarms Mark X in 30-06 that was purchased used and was hoping that somebody would help me learn more about the significance of the markings on the receiver and barrel.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1415556289

I'm guessing that “B 53324” is the serial number of the gun?

I am also wondering about the significance of other three markings;
• Oval mark on left - Appears to be some type of logo
• "RTR" mark in the middle
• “N with a star above?” mark on right

Since these three markings are on both the receiver and barrel, does this mean that Interarms imported this gun with both a Zastava made action & a Zastava made barrel?

Finally, the number 0373 is stamped on the receiver (opposite of the bolt release). Does this signify a production date of March, 1973?

Any and all information about this gun would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all willing to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Receiver.jpg (79.1 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg barrel.jpg (89.0 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg Mark X.jpg (77.8 KB, 480 views)
Old November 9, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Elkins45

The round marking in front of Interarms is a logo that Interarms used on the Mauser rifles-I'm not sure if they used it on all the guns they imported, but I think they did. The other marks are proof marks. Because Zastava was in (at the time) Yugoslavia they were required to follow European firearms proofing requirements. Those marks are stamped on the guns to show they have passed proofing requirements.

I don't know about the 0373. I have one I bought as a bare receiver in the early 90's just before the Serbian/Croatian revolution when they stopped importing them as Mark X guns. I will see what it says.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:27 PM   #3
MOA Steve

Elkins,

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations where to find more info on the proofing marks.

I have heard "stories" that certain guns that shot exceptionally well were marked accordingly, while others that just met specs were marked as such. Don't know if the stories are factual.

To that end, I have seen other Mark X's on gun auction sites that appear to have identical;
• Oval mark on left

and

• "RTR" mark in the middle

but with a different character or symbol above the “N" mark on right.
Old November 9, 2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The RTR and I think the oval crest are Yugoslavian proof marks, the N is a generic Nitro proof most places.

On both receiver and barrel is a pretty sure sign they were made and assembled by Zastava.
Old November 9, 2014, 07:51 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sure that is RTR and not BTB? The latter was (is?) a Yugoslav proof mark. I am not sure they stopped using it on the breakup of the country or what the substitute was.

See: http://www.cip-bobp.org/sites/defaul...D-1-4-14_0.pdf

Jim
Old November 9, 2014, 08:26 PM   #6
RJay

I doubt very serious that they tested any of their production rifles for accuracy. They clamp them in a vise and shoot a few rounds to make sure they work properly and away they go.
Old November 10, 2014, 06:50 PM   #7
MOA Steve

Thanks to all that replied.
Great information, and much appreciated.

One final question - Any idea where I can get the twist rate used on this Zastava barrel.

The gun appears to be their standard "Precision Sporting Rifle" with a 24 inch barrel, Monte Carlo stock, and their "standard field design" trigger mechanism.

Once again, thanks to all willing to share their knowledge.

Steve
Old November 10, 2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Jim Watson

A mass produced .30-06 with something besides a 10" twist would be a rarity.

You can measure it with a tight patch on a swivel handle cleaning rod, marking so you can see one turn and measure the travel.

What will you do with the information?
Old November 11, 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
MOA Steve

Thanks Jim,

Going to start spending some range time with the gun in order to find a load it likes.

With a 10" twist, I will probably start at 180 grain. Limited to factory loads for now as I haven't found time to take up reloading yet.

End goal is tight groups at 100 - 200 yds. (for bragging rights), and hunting medium size game.

Anxious to see what the gun can do.

Steve