The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 26, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Ethan.G

Argentine Mauser 1891

My friend brought over this old rifle for me to check out last Friday. I immediately identified it as a mauser but it was like no mauser i had ever seen before, no extractor claw, jungle carbine stile stock. did some research online and learned some things but not enough to be happy with myself and im looking on here for some help.

Based on the serial numbers (E1XXX) i was able to find it is an 1893, and all parts have matching numbers (manufactured by Loewe). I could Not find Any rust on this gun, (we live in the desert so i find it believable) the bore is shiny with sharp rifling and the stock is in Amazing condition and (to me) looks to be the original (no pistol grip) i couldnt believe how it old it was.. However the seal has been ground and polished off, looks to be the work of someone who knew what he was doing as the grinds are square and not too deep. Also it has new sights (adjustable rear sights, looks kind of like 10/22 sights, dont know how else to explain it) and the barrels 'heat shield?' the top of the stock is missing but looks like it was done on purpose.

What I want to know..
Can i be sure this is a 7.65? have these guns been rebarreled, theres no out of place markings on the gun like a ".30" to indicate that its been rebarreled but theres also no 7.65 markings on the gun..
Also where can i get cheap ammo? ill reload some good ammo for it but id like to see how it shoots first.
And Last, How much is a gun like this worth? I understand its been called the last antique rifle/ the first modern rifle. its a beautiful gun the action is Really smooth, No rust but the mods i fear will bring the price down.

Thats all the info i have right now ill get pics up as soon as i can,
Thank You in advance
Old March 26, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
BillyBeards

I usually have good luck finding ammo at gun s shows but from a quick search I did it looks like Aim Surplus has the lowest price for 7.65x53mm Argentine with boxes of 20 just under $15.
I've had tons of fun with my sporterized 1891. I have attached a link of a thread I started about mine.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481975

Have fun.
BB
Old March 26, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Scorch

Sounds like your 1891 Argentine Mauser has been sporterized. It is possible but not likely that it has been rebarreled. They are not the srongest rifles, so they were often avoided for rebarreling projects. If it has the original sights, it is probably chambered for the original 7.65X53mm. Ammo is available, but you really gotta want to shoot it. Many do shoot them, other folks just park them in a closet.
Quote:
I understand its been called the last antique rifle/ the first modern rifle.
I have heard it called the first modern cartridge in the last antique rifle, but neither is exactly accurate. The 1891 was a rework of the 1888 Commission Rifle design, so even though it was stronger it was still not very strong. 7.65X53mm was one of the first truly modern cartridges in design, even so the ballistics left something to be desired until the 1909 Argentine and its more powerful loading came along.

Last edited by Scorch; March 26, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
wncchester

Every 1891 I've seen had excellant machine work and most still have good barrels. I sporterized mine in the 60s; Bishop stock, Pachmeyer pad, magazine is cut to two rounds so it looks right, bent the bolt handle and it carries Rem 700 sights on a barrel cut to 22". I form cases from .30-06. It's a great deer rifle with .300 Savage ballistics as I load it.
Old March 27, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The caliber (if not altered) is 7.65x53, sometimes also called 7.65x54 or 7.65 Argentine.

The receiver was ground in Argentina to remove the National Seal before the guns were sold, then a requirement of Argentine law. Later, gun importers, prodded by collectors, impressed on the Argentine military that a better price could be had if the seal was intact, so the law was changed. As a result, surplus Argentine arms will be seen with both intact and ground seals. Those rifles were made of the best materials known at the time by some of the best craftsmen in the world. Many of those rifles imported were brand new and are simply beautiful.

Jim
Old August 25, 2014, 02:34 PM   #6
rrgardner

Mauser 1891 Parts

I have recently come across a 1891 Mauser carbine and it needs some TLC and a bolt assembly. Would anyone know of a place where I could get some parts and or assistance in this matter? Thanks all in advance
Old August 25, 2014, 04:15 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Try www.gunpartscorp.com for the bolt.

Jim
Old August 25, 2014, 07:14 PM   #8

Some Help

Try. Mauser.com lots of info there

Tags
1891 , 1893 , 7.65 , mauser