The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 26, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1
rcos152

Moving to Michigan

Hi, I will be currently moving from PA to MI this summer for work. Currently I own several long guns and one hand gun (for now). I also have PA's CCW license. I was wondering how I will have to transfer my handgun into MI and also if I will be able to use my current PA CCW until the years run out on it. I know that both states honor each other's permits so that's why I was wondering. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old January 27, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
ACP230

Check out the website of the MI State Police for info on bringing your handgun to MI.
An outfit called MCRGO has a website that might supply some info also.

I think that, once you are a resident of MI, you will need a Michigan carry permit.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:29 PM   #3
langenc

You will need to REGISTER the handgun and to CCW will need a CPL.

Your out of state is not recgonized when you are a resident. Mi rcgonizes all other state permits for non-residents. At what point do you become a resident?? Im not a lawyer.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
EricPE

Be Preparred - Keep Aware

The law as stated does not necessarily mean the treatement you will receive in the court or by various people. There are many groups and unusually nosy people in certain parts of the state who will not support the ideas of you having a CPL / CCW. In fact, many highly powerful persons do not like the idea of self-defense with a gun. Certain persons within this state are not always consistent, nor logical, nor forgiving.

Before you come or as soon as you arrive in MI try to immediately interview some lawyers who can help you if an incident arises. Also, try to get as many good references and responsible persons to know you within the state.

I would say more about the harsh treatment one can receive, but would like to avoid the risk.