The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 11, 2005, 08:49 PM   #1
busted1200

Can't delete or edit posts

I've looked and looked for an edit button as described and pictured in the FAQ section. There is not one available for me to click on. I've got posts that I'd like to delete and edit. Back on Dec the 28th I sent this email to the staff and received this reply "You should be able to edit your posts just fine. Try clearing your cookies and logging in again, and let me know if you still have issues after that."

--Marko Kloos
Staff Lead, The Firing Line
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 7:41 AM
Subject: forum question

I'm unable to edit or delete my posts? There is no edit button next to the post button. Is there something I'm missing or do you need to enable this feature?

Thanks, Bryan Hirshman

User name; busted1200
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent a reply back stating that it didn't work, but have never gotten another reply back. Is there hope in getting this fixed?
Old January 11, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Let's start by eliminating the easiest possible solutions first.

Look at the bottom, right-hand corner of your post above. There should be a small button that looks like this:
Do you see this button?

Also, assuming the button isn't there - what operating system and what browser software are you using?

With a little more information we should be able to figure this out for you.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old January 12, 2005, 08:06 AM   #3
HankL

Also
Quote:
Your ability to edit your posts may also be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.
This was quoted from the faq section.

Last edited by HankL; January 12, 2005 at 08:08 AM. Reason: to add
Old January 12, 2005, 06:53 PM   #4
busted1200

Yes, there is a Edit button down in the lower right corner of this post. This is the only post of mine that it is visible. What is the time limit for being able to edit your posts? I've got post from Dec, Nov, and Oct and there is no Edit button available.
Old January 12, 2005, 07:24 PM   #5
HankL

Busted, I'm not sure how long the time you are allowed to edit your post is set for. As of right now, I could edit my post from this morning.
Old January 12, 2005, 08:57 PM   #6
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

You have three days during which you can edit your post. After that, only a staff member can edit it.

Think twice - post once and all that...
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old January 12, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7
busted1200

3 days, Well that kind of blows. Why such a short period of time? Seems to me like they would want you to delete your posts if an item is sold or if it is no longer for sale in order to free up space. Well, thanks for the information.
Old January 15, 2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

The limit is set up so that people have some stake in posting decent stuff. There are people out there who love to play games and would have fun going back to change things they posted much later on. Three days is considered about standard.

Obviously, it doesn't make that much difference, but it doesn't tend to cause many problems, either.