The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 9, 2018, 12:00 AM   #51
briandg

Quote:
At some point, all owners will rent to a lady escaping from her violent X.
Yes, it's incredible the frequency.

A very bad case happened here. Woman in trailer home with son. Spurned man comes, she calls, guy kicks down door, and he follows her to the bedroom. She shot him when he broke down the bedroom door. 911 was still online when she fired.

Interesting part of the story was what the news reported.
Quote:
the district attorney does not plan to file charges.
We have a liberal castle law, yet the press thought that she was open to prosecution.
Old February 9, 2018, 08:11 PM   #52
HiBC

I used to live in a fairly high drama neighborhood.Twice that I can recall I got the late night frantic banging on the door.
I guess the fact I had a phone in service was locally unusual at the time.Once it was my neighbor to the north,once it was from two doors south.
One was a daughter saying "Dad's beating Mom" the other was "He's got a knife and my kids are in there"
I let them in and showed them the phone. Then both of them got around to noticing I was holding a shotgun.That how I answered the door.

Then both of them asked "What is that for?"
I told them it was for if he came through my door. They did not seem to like that idea.
With one of those ,later,there was another knock.I had a little glass window up high in the door. I saw it was a LEO. I put my palms on the glass and told the officer I had handgun on me and a Win 97 at the couch.
He said "Good idea.Not a problem.I just want to ask you about....."
Old February 10, 2018, 01:22 AM   #53
kozak6

Bratty children my my neighborhood have a fondness for ding dong ditch. Ripped out phone lines suggests something else entirely. That's pretty frightening.

Sounds like you handled it pretty well, but it's still troubling.

They might have been hoping for an unoccupied house, hence the second ring and moving on when they saw lights. But with cars in the driveway, who knows? It's not good, regardless.

Don't forget to talk to the wife/kids and your neighbors. Now they know the police response time, and 10 minutes is probably enough time to cause some trouble. It would be a shame if someone just opened the door for them.
Old February 10, 2018, 07:40 AM   #54
Siggy-06

Time to play pretend detective:

"Your wife hired a hitman to take you out! She has an alibi for being at her parents house. The professional knew about your existing landline, the box location, and the motion sensor light. All that was left to do was lure you out and take the shot. Pull her bank statements and follow the money!"

Now on a serious note: It sounds like it might have just have been a dumb attempt at a burglary. Thinking your alarm system was connected to the landline, it was cut. You turning on the light most likely sent them packing.
Old February 11, 2018, 05:50 PM   #55
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
I did something similar when I was 22. I grew up and got a lot smarter since then.
Remember, The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

By doing nothing you are enabling these criminals.
Old February 11, 2018, 08:02 PM   #56
K_Mac

Quote:
Remember, The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

By doing nothing you are enabling these criminals.
Your conclusion does not follow your premise and is made of straw. Unlocking your door and lying in wait to ambush and kill the intruder is certainly doing something. I agree with with briandg, that it would be the act of an immature and unknowing person though. Good men don't stop evil by doing stupid things.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:15 AM   #57
5whiskey

OK, ringing the doorbell at the wee hours of the morning to see if there are lights turned on is a common tactic for burglaries. If the house is occupied they generally move on. Cars in the driveway would indicate the house is occupied but it's not a sure sign. I've seen numerous B&Es where this exact tactic was used. When the homeowner ignored the doorbell and the house appeared unoccupied, they frequently had their door kicked in. Turning the lights on in an unoccupied room was smart. Ripping the phone lines out was probably directly related to security system signs (some of them still depend solely on a land-line, though that is less and less frequent).

My guess is they rang the doorbell, saw no sign of anyone home, went and ripped the phone lines, went back to the door and rang the bell one more time just to be sure. You hit the lights in one unoccupied room (VERY smart move), they saw that and moved on down the street. Granted it could be stupid kids doing stupid kid stuff, but the phone lines being pulled out suggests otherwise IMO.

In all OP, I think you responded as well as you could have. Good job.

Quote:
I think we err when we assume "right makes might" in a lot of these discussions. Underestimating those who wish you harm could be a major mistake.
Fact. There's a saying among cops that "if criminals were smart, our jobs would be hard." Busting a crack head who does something stupid out of desperation for drug money is not hard. Those aren't the only criminals, they're just the ones easily caught. There are professional thieves and burglars who are not stupid. They treat their criminal activities like a business, use risk mitigation strategies (like ringing the doorbell to make sure no one is home), and are much more difficult to make a case on. There are more 30-something year olds with clean criminal records out there that have never had a real job and supported themselves with crime than most realize. Many of them have nice cars and own a home. Underestimating them is dangerous business.
Old February 13, 2018, 11:24 AM   #58
L2R

Here is another great reason why you don't want to be involved in a shooting if you don't have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptqyKH6-whM

Last edited by L2R; February 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old February 13, 2018, 07:42 PM   #59
briandg

joe, the situation was a couple guys feeling up my doorknob. quietl sliding the dead bolt aside to let them in was on my mind. it may be that they were lost, someone yelled 'its over here' and they moved on. it took three minutes or less and i dont know if the cops ever came.

yep, i thought about luring two guys into my house and killing them. that would be a bad thing to do.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:28 PM   #60
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Here is another great reason why you don't want to be involved in a shooting if you don't have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptqyKH6-whM
This fellow's advice is valid if you intend to deny that you shot anyone, and want to avoid making it easier for the state to prove that you did.

But if you have ever used force of any kind in self defense, you will not be able to do that, nor would you want to try. You will admit to having done the deed, you will want to claim that you did so lawfully, and you will have to present evidence supporting your claim.

The advice in the video will not only prove absolutely unhelpful to you, it may well work against you.

See this:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ounter.589272/
Old February 15, 2018, 12:26 PM   #61
MementoMoriTactical

Sounds like you did everything as you should have. The only thing I can think of to change that is a relatively simple fix is: Replace the signs that your security company put up with generic signs/ stickers. If a potential home intruder is familiar with your particular company, they could have figured out a work around.

Stay Safe!

Mike
Chief Instructor
mementomoritactical.com