The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Road_Clam

Kimber 10mm Target II LS first range trip

It all started about a month ago at my gun club when I made the mistake of shooting a club buddies' Colt Delta Gold Cup 10mm. I was initially apprehensive as i'm strictly a novice handgunner. The Colt definitely had some snap but not what I expected. Actually was very comfortable and a huge bonus was the fact I actually shot an unfamiliar handgun excellent. I have extremely poor eyes (nearsighted) so shooting handguns has serious challenges for me. I was now very intrigued by a 1911 10mm. Been doing my research and where I already handload .40 S&W for my wife's G22 Glock, the 10mm made very practical sense. I enjoy target out to 50 yds so I was thinking long slide. I ended up buying the Kimber Target II LS and what a VERY nicely built handgun for common production. Great price point as I payed $929 from my LGS (they actually had one in stock). Got to the range today with some misc factory ammo and ripped off about 80 rounds. Realized immediately it doesn't like Sellier&Bellot 180 TC ammo. I had frequent failure to enter full battery. (I knew this from doing my research). I also had some Sig 180 RNFP's and the gun cycled flawlessly with this ammo. If I load 8 rounds I seem to have a random issue with the first round not quite going fully into battery. I'm pretty sure this is simply because everything is new and stiff and needs breaking in. If I load only 7 rounds, everything functions perfect. My SA 1911 RO 9mm was the same exact occurrence, very stiff new mag springs caused feed issues when new, after about 500 rounds my SA 9mm performs perfect. Next was how well I shoot this pistol. I typically struggle with all of my handguns, i'm NO expert, and I really have to focus on improving my deficiencies to shoot well. I learned today that my Kimber is absolutely the easiest for me to potentially shoot with consistency. This is SO encouraging for me as I get frustrated with some of my other platforms. Yes, the 10mm has some elevated recoil, but where i'm just a recreational slow paced shooter it's not any significance. My Glock G22 in .40 S&W has a much sharper recoil smack than my Kimber. I was ecstatic that I was able to ping 6 out of 8 shots at our steel dueling tree at 25 yds ! The flip paddles are 6" in dia and even my missed shots were close (high). The ballistic energy of full bang 10mm is VERY impressive as the caliber thumps and flips the dueling tree paddles with fierce authority even at 25 yds ! This is a perfect out of the box shooter for me. After today's range trip my takeaway is this pistol needs NOTHING for mods to fit me, grips feel just right, and the trigger feel is perfect at about 4 lbs and a sharp break. The sights are excellent with the red fiber optic (a plus for me as I love Dawson front sights). So if any of your are pondering 10mm take my $.02 and treat yourself and do it ! Generally speaking every handgun i've purchased thus far I always had an initial minor gripe, but the Kimber is just "excellent" at all aspects. Very glad I purchased the Kimber as I was also considering the RIA 10mm LS.

Old October 7, 2018, 05:06 PM   #2
rock185

RC, Thanks for the report. I saw one of those in a gun shop a few months ago. I knew I dare not handle it, lest my finances take a hit

BTW, I agree about the G22 in .40. The math may not support it, but my perceived recoil in shooting the .40 is more unpleasant than just about any 10mm I've shot in the several 10mm pistols and revolvers I've owned.......
Old October 7, 2018, 06:33 PM   #3
NH15-45

That's a great pistol, at a great price.
Can I ask where you purchased it. I too live in NH and have been looking for a Kimber 10mm. All the shops I frequent don't stock Kimbers in 10mm and will only quote me MSRP to order one.
Old October 7, 2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Stats Shooter

Does the kimber have a fully supported chamber? I have two 10mm's . A G20 I put a 5.3" alpha wolf barrel in to ensure full support, and a Ruger Sr1911 Target with integrated feed ramp and full support.

I have a load using 200 gr Nosler jhp's running 1250 fps in the 5" 1911 and about 1280 in the the 5.3" alpha wolf barrel.

I also have a light plinking load pushing 180 gr LFN around 1200 in the Glock and 1175 in the 1911.

The hot load would smile in a standard glock barrel or Colt Delta but casehead expansion is low and I only use new brass for that one. PM if you want the recipe.
Old October 7, 2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats Shooter
Does the kimber have a fully supported chamber?
I'm not a 1911 expert so I took some pics to help.

Old October 7, 2018, 07:49 PM   #6
Stats Shooter

It looks like from the pictures that none of the case in front of the extraction groove is exposed....thus fully supported. But that's what I'm talking about. Otherwise in full throttle 10mm loads you will see a crease or "smile" in the case, possibly a bulge where there is no chamber support. Or worse yet, a rupture

Glocks are notorious for this, hence me getting an after market barrel. Basically if you have a case inserted, and much of the case in front of the extraction groove is exposed, it isnt fully supported.

look at this link here
Old October 9, 2018, 12:56 PM   #7
bamaranger

kimber

A pal showed up this summer with that same pistol..........but no ammo. I produced some ammo, both factory and reloads, and we shot it a bit. We experienced quite a few "failure into battery" feeds. However, Sammy advises that all cleared up around 200 rds or so.

The long slide was pleasant to shoot, and had a distinct feel.....very impressive pistol. Hope you continue to enjoy yours.
Old October 9, 2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
We experienced quite a few "failure into battery" feeds.
It's an issue with the Kimber 10mm. The problems is with certain "TC" (truncated cone) type ammo. You will get much better feeding if you run typical "RNFP" (round nose flat point) type ammo. My Sellieer & Bellot was TC ammo and I have some random FTF's. The Sig ammo was RNFP and performed excellent.
Old October 9, 2018, 09:36 PM   #9
rock185

I have used some other ramped 1911 type barrels. The Kimbers have the best case head support of any I have used,e.g., Springfield, Storm Lake, STI, Dan Wesson, etc.
Old October 10, 2018, 09:22 AM   #10
Stats Shooter

Quote:
I have used some other ramped 1911 type barrels. The Kimbers have the best case head support of any I have used,e.g., Springfield, Storm Lake, STI, Dan Wesson, etc
If true, then there should be no issue running full throttle 10mm in the kimber.