The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2018, 09:56 AM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

RC20's case quote is interesting. Usually, however, the advice for lawn disposal is to spread deteriorating powder on the lawn like fertilizer, not to make a pile of it, and not to do this when the powder is still good.

Deteriorating powder has consumed all its stabilizer. Otherwise, it would not be breaking down. Once the stabilizer is gone, it will continue to break down and release nitrogen compounds. This breakdown is evidenced by the acrid nitric acid smell it has. If you put it in water, the water turns yellowish from all the soluble nitrogen acid radicals in it. Powder in that condition will not go undegraded whether it remains in the can or is put out on the lawn. If it has been spread about, the individual grains are not in contact with one another so it will not sustain burning or flare up as described.

I had a container of old Accurate 3100 that I found had gone over to acid smell when I opened it. I mixed the powder together with the spring application of lawn fertilizer and crabgrass inhibitor. It was well and thoroughly spread out. The lawn seemed extra green this spring, but then there's been a lot of rain, so I can't say if that's just coincidence or not.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 26, 2018, 10:19 AM   #27
BBarn

Smokeless only...

If only a few grains, I sweep it with a broom and into the trash can. For greater quantities I sweep it up and spread it into a narrow row on the ground or gravel driveway and light it. Burns at about 2 or 3 inches per second.

A few grains of smokeless thrown into a fire responds about the same way as a similar amount of fine sawdust. A quick burst of sparks and flame. Fine sawdust burns very suddenly.

Probably nothing wrong with dispersing it in the yard.

I don't use a shop vac since they tend to use universal motors with commutators/brushes that spark. Probably not an issue, but one I avoid in any case.
Old June 26, 2018, 10:45 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

Just keep the filter on the shop vac and put a quart of water in the bottom first. It may not destroy the powder but it sure will discourage any sort of sustained burn.
Old June 26, 2018, 02:02 PM   #29
McCarthy

Been using the vacuum below in my reloading room for small spills around the shell plates. Never had an issue. Granted, I'm very careful and my reloading room looks more like a lab. There is no dirt, no primers hiding under the carpet, no grease sticking to tools, and no major powder mess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M2F7NI
Old June 26, 2018, 04:52 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

McCarthy,

Please read the board rules about posting copyrighted materials. Had to pull the photo out.
Old June 26, 2018, 05:57 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
I don't use a shop vac since they tend to use universal motors with commutators/brushes that spark. Probably not an issue, but one I avoid in any case.
I am the same sort of nervous. Lots of archy sparky going on inside the air cooled slots of one of those motors.

Per Unclenicks practice you may be able to mitigate it to a non issue.

Still does not give me a warm fuzzy.
Old June 26, 2018, 06:38 PM   #32
McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
McCarthy,

Please read the board rules about posting copyrighted materials. Had to pull the photo out.
Better?

Old June 27, 2018, 09:35 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. All yours and bigger and easier to see, into the bargain.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:31 AM   #34
Mike Irwin
Staff

For small amounts and general clean up around my loading area I use a damp sponge. I picks up loose powder, which I then flush down the laundry sink when I rinse the sponge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.