The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 24, 2007, 02:52 AM   #1
mutski

Which .45 for Bullseye?

What's a good .45 for Bulleye competition? Anyone have opinions about Les Baer or Rock River? What model do you like?
Old November 24, 2007, 07:45 AM   #2
papa shooter

pistol

I shot a Colt National Match for bullseye. They are still avaliable on auction sights as well as gun shows. They will cost you around $1200.00-$1500.00 if you find one in good shape. Good luck with this question. I feel you will get a different opinion from every poster from here on out.

Good Shooting
Papa
Old November 25, 2007, 06:10 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

I got to shoot a Rock River Bullseye model. Very nice . If I had the money it would be high on my list.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old November 25, 2007, 08:13 PM   #4
TNT_Shooter

I shoot a David Sams custom 45 built on a Caspian frame and slide. He does exceptional work. It takes about a year to get the gun back once you place your order. His website is http://samscustomgunworksusa.com

Good luck!

TNT

Last edited by TNT_Shooter; November 25, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: changed the website address
Old November 26, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5
10s&Xs

It's definitely a subjective topic, but I bought a slightly used Les Baer bullseye wadcutter at the beginning of the year, and it's been great. Would definitely recommend it.
Old November 27, 2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Tim R

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=C45HB

I have not shot one of these but you can be assured it would be legal for Bulls Eye.
Old November 27, 2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Old Gaffer

I'm quite new to the BE game, and I've only shot three 2700's - all with borrowed guns.

I shoot in the high 600's with the Les Baer's, low 600's with an almost-stock Colt (trigger job and red dot only - not accurized).

When I hit the lottery, I'm most likely going with the Les Baer, though I've heard much good about the Rock River too. Oh yeah, and anything built by Masaki or Curtis. Jump over here http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/ and have a look through the archives. You might just want to subscribe too.

FYI, the only thing I've heard about Kimbers is from a Master shooter - he tells me that a lot of the time when a shooter is having .45 problems, it's a Kimber gun. This is not data - it's hearsay, so grab the salt shake and take a grain or two.

Good luck with your search.

Rob

Last edited by Old Gaffer; November 27, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:53 PM   #8
Isabel1130

Another vote for David Sams

I have both a .45 wadcutter and a Beretta 9mm for LEG matches on order.
Old November 28, 2007, 12:48 AM   #9
mutski

I talked to Les Baer today - 12-16 week wait for a new gun. Rock River said 406 months. Sigh. Maybe used LB from Gunbroker.com?
Old November 28, 2007, 01:59 AM   #10
softmentor

The HK Combat with match trigger is worth looking at. Reduced recoil, awesome reliability, and highly accurate. There's an add for it running in the latest issue of Frontsite Magazine.
Old November 28, 2007, 02:21 AM   #11
Powderman

For an entry level gun that you can shoot right now, I'd go for a Baer. You can find them on the shelves on occasion.

As one poster mentioned already, check out the Bullseye List. It is an e-mail list, you can subscribe easily by going to www.bullseyepistol.com.

One poster mentioned HK. First of all, I love HK handguns; one of the worst moves I've ever made was trading off a USP40.

That being said, even though an HK is combat accurate, it is not bullseye/conventional pistol accurate.

A good bullseye pistol (wadcutter or ball) will consistently deliver 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch groups at 50 yards. Yes, I meant YARDS, not feet, and these are minimum five round groups. The minimum standard acceptable is a 3 inch group at 50 yards. Check out the articles at the site mentioned above for a detailed explanation into why you want a pistol that shoots this well.

At the same time, prepare to make an investment into your pistol. You will in all probability want a dot sight for your wadcutter gun; the best on the market that is affordable is the Ultra Dot.

To get the most from your bullseye pistol, there is a good chance that you will want a custom grip. There are some excellent options; for semi custom grips that will help, take a look at Vitarbo grips, or some of the excellent offerings of Karl Nill (Nill grips).

By far, the best (IMHO) custom grip manufacturer is Randall Fung. Take a look at his website. He makes true custom grips from scratch, built to fit you.

Do you reload? Prepare to start if you don't; unless you have a rather liquid source of disposable cash, centerfire match handgun ammo is EXPENSIVE. The standard for wad guns is Federal GM Match, 185 grain SWC ammo--and it runs about $40.00 per box! Casting your own bullets will save even more money.

This is just the tip of the iceberg--you also need a good accurate and dependable .22 pistol, at a minimum. If you want to go Distinguished, you'll need a dedicated ball gun too--plus there are other items that will make your life a lot easier on the firing line.

My personal bullseye kit consists of a .22 with one backup gun (Hammerli 280, backup is a Marvel conversion on a 1911 frame), a SW M52-1 for centerfire, and a custom 1911 wadcutter gun built by Ed Masaki for the .45 stage. My hardball gun was also built by Ed Masaki, and also serves as a backup gun for the wadcutter gun. I cast my bullets from pure range scrap ; I use the 200 gr. HG 68 LSWC, sized to .452, on top of 3.9 of Clays for my wadcutter gun. It saves a LOT of money.

The most important part of prep for a BE match is practice--and lots of it! Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Best of luck in your quest. Bullseye is, to me, the most challenging type of handgun competition--and I enjoy it immensely! See you on the firing line!
Old November 29, 2007, 03:18 AM   #12
mutski

I called Les Baer, found out that I must choose either scope or iron sights - can't switch back and for like I do with my .22, since the screws that hold the mount onto the frame are stress points - change back and forth and get cracks. Also, get the mount for a scope, you get no iron sights. That makes it a difficult choice; I'd like to be able to switch back and forth. My eyes are old, I certainly see the red dot better. On the other hand, I've shot some pretty good targets with .38s from a revolver with iron sights.
Old November 30, 2007, 04:55 PM   #13
4EVERM-14

How about this idea.
Get the Hardball gun. It can switch to wadcutter by changing the recoil spring plus a grip type scope mount. It may not be the best set up but you get dual purpose.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 5, 2007, 03:46 PM   #14
bluetopper

I've been looking at an STI Rangemaster or Targetmaster. Just seen them on the net, but not in person.
Do any of you have an opinion of these?
Old December 5, 2007, 05:38 PM   #15
Powderman

Parisite:

It has been said that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The true test to see if a gun is good to go for Bullseye competition is to test it out. Ten rounds in a Ransom rest will tell the tale.

Bottom line--if it won't hold 3 inches, MAXIMUM, at 50 measured yards, it is not suitable for Bullseye shooting. You can get it accurized, if you wish.

Your best bet might be to contact the manufacture, and ask some questions. Ask: how accurate the pistols are, do they do custom work, can they guarantee accuracy, price, etc.
Old December 5, 2007, 06:43 PM   #16
bluetopper

Powderman you are exactly right. It's just that no one will let you test fire for accuracy a brand new gun. I had 90% made up my mind to purchase an STI Rangemaster 45 till I started reading this thread today and found the link to champchoice with the Les Baers. That price to me seems very good. About $150 more than I can get a Rangemaster for.

As far as rimfires, I have 3 Hamden High Standards, model 102 8'' Supermatic Citation, model 104 5'' Citation, and a 107 Supermatic Trophy w/7.5'' barrel. They aren't Hammerli's or Pardini's but they will do......I think.

BTW.......I also have thought about a Pardini 45, but don't think I would like the double stack grip. Have never held one though.

While I'm at it, the most surprisingly accurate gun I ever shot in my life is my 45acp revolver, model 455, made by........Taurus, yes Taurus. I can group better with it than my Dan Wesson Pointman 1911 w/ a match barrel. And it is a wonderful 1911.
Old December 5, 2007, 08:26 PM   #17
mutski

OK, abrubt turnaround. I found a Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, chambered for .38 special. Hope to have it soon from a seller in SD. Not a .45, but I have to drive 350 miles to get to a three-gun match, and I already have the dies to load .38s, and this is a classic gun. I'm way looking forward to shooting it! Thanks for all the advice... maybe next it will be the Les Baer.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:56 PM   #18
OldShooter

Bullseye

I still a beginner. I shoot with what I've got. When the gun gets to be a limiting factor I'll buy a better gun. Mostly I enjoy shooting and competing with myself. So far the guns shoot better than I do. And at the rate my eyesight is going I'll probably never have to buy a better gun.
Old December 23, 2007, 06:54 PM   #19
Buckeyenomad

I first started shooting bullseye in the late 70's. I started out with a Colt Gold Cup and moved up to a Clark Heavy Long Slide....and I'm still shooting it. Clark was a Bullseye shooter and knew exactly what was needed.

Other choices would be used Pachmayr, Giles etc.
Old December 24, 2007, 07:22 AM   #20
Joe D

It all depends on how serious you are. I have a Kimber Stainless Target that is accurate enough for the casual BE shooter. It shoots under 3" at 50 yds with proper loads.
If you are serious I would go with a gun built by one of the good Bullseye gunsmiths. Back in the day our Army guns were built by Jackie Best - AMU gunsmith. A couple of my .45s would easily group under 2" at 50 yds out of a Ransom.
Old February 4, 2008, 01:58 PM   #21
pappyo

I use a Colt model 70 with a dot and Herter grips. The gun was done over many years ago and the trigger done again about 15 years ago. That gun shoots better than I ever will.
Old February 4, 2008, 03:20 PM   #22
cdrt

Clark makes an excellent Bullseye gun.
I have a Clark Heavy Slide .38 Special 1911 conversion that Clark Sr. built for me back in 1984 and it is still a shooter. I did have the bushing replaced this year and it will still shoot inch and a half groups out of a Ransom rest at 50 yards.

And I have a Clark Heavy Slide in .45 ACP that Clark Junior built about 4 years ago. I had to send it back because the grip safety did not work and it would sometimes go to half cock during rapid fires. Both problems were inter-related and he fixed it, no problem.

One of the fellows here bought a Les Baer hardball gun last year and immediately got Leg points with it and he placed in the President's 100 at Perry.

Bottom line, either a Clark or Les Baer would be a good choice.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)