The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 9, 2002, 09:29 PM   #1
day5creations

First IPSC math tomorrow morning... Mag question

I am just getting started in cometition shooting (fired an IDPA course 2 weeks ago) and am going to an IPSC match tomorrow.

Question:
"I have a Glock 23 and 4 (10rnd) mags with one double mag pouch, is that enough to compete"? I also have a Mitch Rosen SOS single mag/6P holder if I need to have (3) mags on the belt.

Does IPSC allo me to carry mags in my back pocket?

I would rather use the dbl pouch and have the 4th mag in my back pocket. In the IDPA match I never needed more than 2 mags per stage, and I used a third to "top off" on load and make ready only.

I just wonder how often stafes are set to use more than two mags on the belt?
Mathew 10:16
Old November 9, 2002, 09:34 PM   #2
Jeeper

It really depends. Sometimes you will need the mags not for the round count but for the required mag changes. You are very safe with 3 on your belt. As for the rules, I wouldn't worry to much since it is your first match. I would carry the 3rd pouch though. It never hurts to be safe.

Have fun and watch out, You'll want one of those pretty "race guns" soon.
Old November 9, 2002, 09:45 PM   #3
day5creations

Thanks Jeepers.
I've got my custom 5" M1911 being built now for "Carry/IDPA", and plan on treating myself to an "open class dot machine" next year.

To think a few years ago I was trying to sell my $1700.00 worth of Dillion gear for $400.00! I got off cheap though, as the local dealer was too tight to offer more than $350.00 I thanked him the other day for being a jerk, and trying to steal it from me.

It's pumping out the .45's now for my new found hobbie.

I'm hooked!
Old November 10, 2002, 05:43 AM   #4
Don45cal

I started both types this year as well. Use whatever you have. Bring all 3 mag carriers and leave your back pockets empty for extra's. Shoot some matches before deciding on a new gun and have fun!! Both IDPA and USPSA/IPSC are fun and have taught me new things!!

Be Safe & Shoot Straight
Old November 10, 2002, 11:19 AM   #5
ryucasta

If memory serves me correctly, in IDPA you are limited to 2 magazines on your belt period but to my knowledge there are no limits as to what you can have in you pockets.

USPSA does not have any rules regarding number of magazines on you belt or in your pockets but depending on what division you are competing in there are rules regarding the placement of the holster and magazines on the belt.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old November 10, 2002, 12:51 PM   #6
Jim Watson

IDPA limits you to two magazines on your belt.
Those and the one in your gun are all you may use in one CoF. You can carry a "Barney Bullet" magazine in your pocket to top off your gun to 10+1 as required for a stage requiring a reload, but you may not go to it for a reload. If there are multiple strings in one stage, or multiple stages in one range bay, I carry extras in my hip pocket so I can reload the gun and refill my pouch without having to carry a bag to the line. But those extras are not available for use in one CoF.

Most IPSC/USPSA Divisions, you could have ammo all the way around your circumference if you thought you would need it to get through a 38 shot field course.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:41 PM   #7
2speed

I started out trying to keep up with those widebody "wondernines" in IPSC with a singlestack 1911 .45. I had magazines lined up from my navel to my backbone. (Sometimes those field courses would have 40 rounds.) Then I stuck a few in my back pocket. I might have run out of time, daylight, or even air; but I wasn't going to run out of ammo.

Worked real good after I forgot to reload my mags after a stage.

Now I shoot IDPA style and don't worry about 'em. I currently shoot a Hi-power with three 10 round mags + the "Barney" mag. I don't know if it's because I'm shooting better, or don't care what the "other guy" is doing but I rarely need all 31 rounds. I seem to have better scores too!

Now, if I shoot IPSC; I'll add another two 10 round mags in a holder, tighten up my laces and hold on!

I just try to remember that I'm competing against myself, not the other guys. That helps when "the other guys" beat ya like a dog!
Old November 12, 2002, 08:40 AM   #8
kbear38S

Quote:
I started out trying to keep up with those widebody "wondernines" in IPSC with a singlestack 1911 .45...
If you're shooting IPSC/USPSA, you shouldn't be competing against "wondernines" with a 1911. You should be shooting in Limited 10 division where you are only competing against other guns limited to 10 rounds in the mag. Futhermore, you're only competing against the people in your Class, within your equipment division.

I assume you know that but your post may give a different impression to others who are unfamilier with the specific IPSC rules and who are routinely subjected to the 'equipment race' propaganda so frequently dished out by the major gun magazines. (and by writers with a vested interested in the success of IDPA)
Old November 12, 2002, 02:22 PM   #9
AZ Jeff

As an USPSA shooter for over 15 years, here is my two cents worth:

You asked: "I have a Glock 23 and 4 (10rnd) mags with one double mag pouch, is that enough to compete"? ......Does IPSC allo me to carry mags in my back pocket? .....I just wonder how often stafes are set to use more than two mags on the belt?

Since you are shooting a G23, you will be shooting in "Production Class", and will be competing against other similar guns. You will NOT be competing against M1911's, and/or "raceguns", but your challengers will be shooting mostly 9x19 double action pistols, or Glocks in 9mm as well.

Most USPSA stages are no more than 24-30 rounds, so 4 ten round mags will be fine for starters. And, yes, you can use your pockets to hold the spare mags, but it will slow you down on reloads, but I suspect you already are prepared to deal with that.

If you find you like USPSA, invest in some cheap mag holders (the Glock polymer ones work well, but are not noted for long term durability). Just remember, HAVE FUN!!
Old November 12, 2002, 04:29 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Well, day5, "tomorrow" has come and gone.
Did you shoot?
Did you have a good time?
Old November 12, 2002, 05:47 PM   #11
day5creations

Quote:
Well, day5, "tomorrow" has come and gone.
Did you shoot?
Did you have a good time?
I made, and had a blast. The highest round count I remember was 29. I did use all 4 mags on that one. The people were great and it was a nice shoot. I shot the G23 in Production Class with one other guy (Trey on this forum) and talked to him after the match. He said he had been shooting IPSC for a year, so I felt good about winning 3 of 6 stages from him, even though he got me on the overall time. I didn't see by how much.

I like IDPA better myself, but will probably keep shooting IPSC in the Limited 10 when my gun is finished next month.

Good time, even in the rain, but I'm a native Oregonian, so the web-feet helped.
Old November 13, 2002, 02:12 PM   #12
AZ Jeff

I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I do have one question for you:

You stated you like IDPA better, even after shooting this USPSA match. Out of curiousity, why do you feel that way?

I DON'T want to start an IPSC versus IDPA flame war, but I am curious as to what you like better, considering you were competing against other "street" guns, and not the racegun guys.....
Old November 13, 2002, 03:54 PM   #13
Jeeper

IPSC sucks
IDPA sucks
USPSA sucks

Everything sucks!

That is my contribution to a flame war
Old November 13, 2002, 10:45 PM   #14
day5creations

What Jeeper's said!

Actually, it's hard to describe. The IPSC match seemed more concerned about stratagy of winning the stage via when to change magazines, than about accuracy and speed. I have a real hangup with throwing 1/4 loaded magazines on the ground because I need to so I can make the correct number of changes that will et me through the stage without running dry.

Just apersonal preference. I will probably do both, but if I had to make a choice between the two it would be IDPA for sure. IDPA is more in line with how I practice for confrontations on the street.
Old November 14, 2002, 06:15 PM   #15
AZ Jeff

You gave me a good answer as to your preference for IDPA. You use the matches as a way to practice for CCW, and for that, IPDA may hold a slight edge.

I have shot both IPDA and IPSC, and in my opinion, BOTH of these sports are less that totally effective in training you for "the street". The reason I say so is because both of them require the shooter to be imposed with constraints that would not exist in the real world.

It is those constraints, however few, that make the shooting sports of limited value in training for lethal confrontation. Probably the best training tool/competition is the National Tactical Inviitational, but that's a pretty narrow spectrum of participants.

Both IPSC and IDPA DO give you one thing: improved skill at handling the gun under pressure. That alone is worth something when it comes to "street survival".

Just don't ever think either of those sports manage to equal the challenge one would see in a real gunfight!
Old November 14, 2002, 07:01 PM   #16
day5creations

Quote:
Just don't ever think either of those sports manage to equal the challenge one would see in a real gunfight!
Well said, and I agree totally. Also I would imagine (never having been in one) the stress of a timer is just a very,very,very little taste of a live confrontation.
Old November 14, 2002, 07:02 PM   #17
Navy joe

My contribution to the flame war. All plans are great until the buzzer goes off. Being able to keep track of your rounds as you shoot is a valuable skill, you can't always plan mag changes as the round count varies from the plan once you start shooting. Keeping your gun from running dry is a great skill. I shoot L-10 and most of my mags have zero to two rounds left in them. The ideal for me is zero left but one chambered. I rarely end up at slide lock unless some piece of steel is taunting me. That's the best thing Production and L10 teach you, reload every time you move, lots more reloading practice than IDPA thanks to higher round count. I hope no one ever ends up dead on the street and they are found with their hand in their pocket trying to secure a partially depleted mag. Those habits do get ingrained, I watch new IPSC shooters that have done IDPA do it all the time, it's great fun to watch. I just try to keep perspective and realize that USPSA use of cover is less than ideal and practice that on my own.
Old November 16, 2002, 05:34 PM   #18
day5creations

Just to be clear, I got the match results today in the mail. I was not shooting against Trey Allen, but Kelly Allon. I helped Trey break down the stages and he made the comment "you were the other production shooter", so I assumed incorrectly that he was the other. Trey shoots limited 10 and is way above my skill level.
Old May 22, 2004, 03:31 AM   #19
Tacblack

Quote:
I have a real hangup with throwing 1/4 loaded magazines on the ground
Then don't did anyone tell you that you had to do this, the nice thing about IPSC mag changes are you can do any one you like. Unless is was a mandatory like in IDPA. Mags are pretty cheap get a couple more and you will be set and its nice for IDPA too, shot 2 or 3 stages before you reload.

Quote:
IDPA is more in line with how I practice for confrontations on the street
Did someone tell you that you could not practice in a manor that you would like? Could you not use cover if you wanted too, could you not run your mags dry, were you not allowed to wear a cover shirt, stow mags.

Please don't take this as me picking on you day5creations but I get tired of people stating things like there is some rule against it in IPSC. You can shoot and IPSC match like a IDPA match pretty much, but you can not shoot at an IDPA match like it was an IPSC match with out lots of penalties or a FTR. Its all up to how you want to play in IPSC, don't go to any match to beat someone else only go for yourself or you will always lose.

I shoot both if you wondered and have a good time with all my shooting friends they cross over to the other match when time permits. I hope you will stick with both for a while, but if you enjoy one more then the other and just want to shoot it thats good too. I have found that shooting both is helpfull to me, I have improved at both matchs, did take a little while for me not to mix them up.

Between your glock and your 1911 you can shoot 2 classes in each sport, more trigger time good.
Old May 22, 2004, 08:49 AM   #20
WESHOOT2

Nomex-skinned thoughts

Has anyone noticed the MMU's shoot IPSC?

(okay, back into hole...)

--------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"
Old May 31, 2004, 09:39 PM   #21
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I haven't. What's an MMU?

Marine . . . . . Mudpounding. . . . Unit?

Naaah.
Old June 1, 2004, 05:01 AM   #22
WESHOOT2

Military Marksmanship Unit

I wonder why top IPSC shooters train elite military units in 'handgunning'; very curious.......

Okay, not really.
Curious, I mean.