The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 1, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
51_60_colt

Sales on BP

Hey everybody, I was just lookin at cabelas website and they have a bunch of sales on BP revolvers. Do you all think the market for them is shrinking or just a product of a poor economy?
Old May 1, 2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

My guess is that it's the economy...second hand gun sales are up I believe more that usual compared to new gun sales as far as Black Powder guns are concerned..
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 1, 2009, 12:31 PM   #3
CaptainCrossman

word has got around how soft the metal is on those Italian repro guns- the importers got to play stupid for a long time and get $300-$400 for soft metal guns, and brass guns that fell apart in a week. With the internet forums, newbie shooters are becoming educated. If you notice Ruger Old Army guns are selling at a HIGH price, one reason is they are discontinued, but another reason is, the Rugers have vastly superior metallurgy- hardened and heat treated- over the imports.

there's no reason to break the bank on C-B pistols, I just scored a Walker in mint condition used for only $235 to my door, it's a $400 gun new

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

and here's an 1860 Army new at Cabela's for only $229- great value- but I'd wait, they'll be under $200 soon- I passed on one for only $150 used on the net, and at the gun show there was one for only $135- both with steel frames

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4
qwik

Thank you 51_ 61_ colt

I just received Rem58 (5 1/2) bbl @ 240$. Qwik phone call 40$ credit
Thanks for the heads up. umm new cylinder or lol
Old May 1, 2009, 01:11 PM   #5
51_60_colt

Quote:
word has got around how soft the metal is on those Italian repro guns
Cap'n you are the energizer bunny of the Anti italian BP world.

Glad I could help ya out qwik. I just wish I had the cash for more revs. I'm likin the prices right now.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Nate1778

I just took advantage myself, got a 51 .36 Colt and a 58 5.5" Remy. Just unpacked the .36 and must say I am impressed. Action sounds good and tight, I was really surprised at how crisp it sounds. I will be breaking them down this evening and cleaning them up.

This is my first encounter with a B&C revolver, and I must say out of the box, I am more than pleased, for the price. Now I see why you guys get addicted............

Question, where do you guys get your cleaning rods for these. I was just at Bass Pro Shop and all they had was .50 cleaning gear, and wanted gold for it. Can I just stop by wally and buy a pistol cleaning kit, and NOT use the solvents and lube.

PS Wander wads for a .44 were $12 PER 50. I about died, but had to pay it, cause the ones I have on order are back ordered.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Indian Outlaw

Deleted by author.

Last edited by Indian Outlaw; May 1, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:49 PM   #8
gmatov

Nate,

Might be a good idea to ask BEFORE you buy such as "Wonder Wads". They ain't no wonder to them. I don't know what they actually make them of. Some others might tell you if they are woolen.

I soak wool cloth in a lamb/beeswax/olive oil mix and punch out all I need for pennies per hundred.

Go to Wally world or anywhere else and buy a 10 buck or less if you can get it pistol rod and a .45 brush and swab if you want one.

We call these .44s and so did Colt, but the balls are .451 or so. Our modern .44 is .429.

Solvents you won't need, but you can use the lubes. All lubes are basically the same, regardless the naysayers who say you GOTTA use NATURAL fats, cause there was no oil wells when BP was used so they don't like UNnatural fats, except since 1867 we made UNnatural fats, after the first oil well and oiled revolvers, BP revolvers, with any kind of grease that a THINKING shooter would use TO GREASE a pistol.

Face it, gentlemen. SOME of you/us are what you might call savvy as to firearms. Some of the newer posters are here asking for help because they do not know what this sport entails.

Hey, for some of you NATURAL oilers, I bought a couple spray cans of pure olive oil spray, similar to the PAM spray cans but Olive oil. Mebbe you need that.

Cheers,

George
Old May 3, 2009, 05:26 PM   #9
CaptainCrossman

well said George !
Old May 3, 2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Nate1778

Hey George, thanks for the advice, the only reason I paid the money for the wads was to shoot the gun this weekend, turns out that fell through do to weather. I know I could have used Crisco, but I dread the mess.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:16 PM   #11
JarYetz

Hey guys, tossup here.

I currently have 1858 Remmie, w/ 8'' barrel.

With this sale, I'm thinking about getting either:
1- 1858 Remmie w/ 5.5'' barrel $199
2- 1851 Navy Civilian .44 $199
3- Brass Framed Buffalo 1858 Remmie $169
4- Brass Framed 1851 .44 Navy $139

For those prices...does brass really scare me that much? I mean, heck...they'd be nice to get my collection going anyway.

Last edited by JarYetz; May 3, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:25 PM   #12
gmatov

jarYetz,

Go shoot them. I don't know if ANY of them are accurate.

'51 Navy .44, I don't think so. Brass '51 also, not in .44. It doesn't matter.

Oh. Accurate as to age, not as to whether they shoot well. NO pistol shoots well unless the holder can do his stuff.

We brag on 3" groups at 25 yds. I think if Bill Blankenship, the Champion .45 shooter in the US shot them, he would make one holers. Our pistols are not garbage.

Cheers,
George
Old May 4, 2009, 07:24 AM   #13
CaptainCrossman

Jaryetz: I'd steer clear of the open top brass framed guns, yes you can load them down carefully to 10-15 grains and they may live a while, but if you shoot the frame arbor loose and pull the threads, you can no longer buy a replacement frame- you're then stuck with an expensive $150-$200 paperweight. Not worth the risk. The brass framed Remington pattern is stronger by design of the topstrap. With Cabela's selling new steel framed Rem 58's for $169, why bother though.

You can get the historically-incorrect, steel-framed 1851 Navy 44 online for $179 brand new, last time I checked.

prices are dropping like whale crap on BP C-B guns, check out new vs. used- I just scored a used 1860 Army steel frame for $130 today

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 4, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:53 AM   #14
eaglesnester

BP imported guns from Italy and Spain

Most are garbage and are dangerous to the shooter, they blow up, mame and blind. For the most part the guns are stamped as going to the proof house and they only take one sample every three months and proof that one. The rest of the rifles and pistols have fake proof marks from the proof house. These firearms are outlawed in most other countries except for US and Canada. If you want a good BP firearm buy yourself a Thompson Centerfire. They are all proof stamped for real, made in the US and are made from good quality steel.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:57 PM   #15
mykeal

The above post is completely erroneous. It contains no factual data whatsoever.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:12 PM   #16
CaptainCrossman

EAGLESNESTER: interesting post- do you have documentation or accounts of these gun explosions hurting the shooters ? if so I'd like to hear them

not calling you a liar, but that appears to be a bit of a stretch, because I've never heard of a blackpowder replica exploding/killing/maiming a shooter, unless it was loaded with smokeless powder instead of black/pyro/substitute- they've been selling them here in USA for over 50 years now, since the 1950's

perhaps the reason these guns may be outlawed in other countries, is because they can't own any handguns of any type, period, due to their restrictive gun laws- not necessarily because they are blackpowder replicas from Italy.

the brass framed guns will pull the arbor from the frame, because I ruined 2 of them myself, but that doesn't cause an explosion- what happens is, the gun locks up, cylinder won't rotate- or the gun won't shoot because cylinder moves forward, and hammer can't hit the caps

I've been shooting full cylinders of powder in steel frame Italian replicas for decades now, with no problems, and they didn't blow up- the key part is the steel frame- but if you have heard of cases that such has happened, please elaborate

if memory serves, T/C only makes single shots, not revolvers- if one wants the strongest BP C-B gun ever made, the answer is Ruger Old Army
Old May 4, 2009, 01:48 PM   #17
ClemBert

Nate, try this for Wonder Wads.

Personally, I think making your own lube for the purposes of saving money is overrated. I can think of other ways to save money and that would include not getting involved with firearms to begin with. I think a lot of people make their own lube because it gives them the feeling of independence from from those who would like to make a buck off of us. Not only could you make your own wads, lube, or bullets but gunpowder isn't out of the question either. It may be a matter of how far you want to take it. I salute those independent thinkers who do as much as they can on their own with their knowledge and creativity. For me, however, the expense of lubed felt wads isn't a deal breaker for this hobby.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:07 PM   #18
Nate1778

Thanks for the link, I have some on the way from Cabelas for the time being, that said the link has gone into bookmarks for future reference.

As far as the gun powder, giving that ago as well here, your right though if we wanted to save money we would not be in this hobby. Kinda like woodworking, takes a whole lot of money to make cheap furniture........
Old May 4, 2009, 03:14 PM   #19
51_60_colt

eaglesnester, if they are so dangerous then why are they allowed to be imported, and why arent all the guys on this forum dead, or seeing these dangers exhibited? Most of these guys wouldnt have hands right now if that were true.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:11 PM   #20
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Most are garbage and are dangerous to the shooter, they blow up, mame and blind. For the most part the guns are stamped as going to the proof house and they only take one sample every three months and proof that one. The rest of the rifles and pistols have fake proof marks from the proof house. These firearms are outlawed in most other countries except for US and Canada. If you want a good BP firearm buy yourself a Thompson Centerfire. They are all proof stamped for real, made in the US and are made from good quality steel.
Quote:
I'd steer clear of the open top brass framed guns, yes you can load them down carefully to 10-15 grains and they may live a while, but if you shoot the frame arbor loose and pull the threads, you can no longer buy a replacement frame- you're then stuck with an expensive $150-$200 paperweight. Not worth the risk. The brass framed Remington pattern is stronger by design of the topstrap. With Cabela's selling new steel framed Rem 58's for $169, why bother though.

You can get the historically-incorrect, steel-framed 1851 Navy 44 online for $179 brand new, last time I checked.

prices are dropping like whale crap on BP C-B guns, check out new vs. used- I just scored a used 1860 Army steel frame for $130 today
Talk about a load of adult male cow manure. You both are doing a dis-service to the black powder shooting community.
You should be writing comedy.