The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 13, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
oldcars

Del-Ton Ar15 kit review

Not much of a review because I have not shot it for accuracy yet, but so far I am impressed. I have not owned an AR for several years, but a friend of mine bought a few off-brand (Roggio Arsenal?) stripped lowers during the election a few years ago and after the fear wore off, I bought one for $100. Now I realize that these days $100 is not a great deal for a lower, but he paid $125 so I felt sorry for him. I saw in shotgun news that Del-Ton had a sale on kits last month so I ordered one (Sadly, they would not give the discount over the phone, only by an online order....ok) They said it would take 4-6 weeks which I didn't like( I want it NOW) so I ordered it and forgot about it. Kit price $418.50 + $29.50 shipping

Yesterday, I get home and it's waiting for me! only 13 days after I ordered it! It all went together easily last night and I already had several mags and a cheap set of scope rings from the last AR, so I mounted a new Redfield 3x9 and hit the range. The wind was blowing and I didn't have much time but I tried four different magazines and used up all the misc. junk and odd-ball .223 and 5.56 I had sitting around : two kinds of Wolf, factory Remington, forgin surplus, reloads I can't remember etc. and it worked 100% I was just getting the scope on paper and plinking but so far I like what I see and every thing fit's well, works well, etc. I am also quite impressed with the Redfield scope. I bought it from a local dealer for $100 because it had a couple of scratches on the bell , the magnification adjustment is easy and smooth and I really like the elevation and windage knobs being knurled and click adjustable. Way to go Leupold!

Cliff notes: 20" barreled A3 Del-Ton kit, shipping, cheap lower, Redfield 3x9, $648.03 total for a US made scoped AR that seems to eat anything.

My only complaint is the trigger, but all AR's I have owned were just as bad, I think I might step up to a Timney. I can't wait for a nice calm day to go back to the range with some reloads and see what it will really do!

So far,I would recomend Del-Ton to anyone who want's to build a low Budget AR.
Old August 13, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
DnPRK

I love it when a plan comes together.