The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
BuckRub

Pocket holsters - good ?

I recently got a Beretta Minx 22 short. I want to start carrying it around in the yard (country) just to shoot at this and that. Are the pocket holsters good for such. I might even want to carry it to town because its so small. Are the pocket holsters any account ?
Old October 10, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2
JimmyR

The Minx's are good little guns, and for the size, I think a pocket holster would be pretty good.

Another (similar) option would be the sticky holster- very similar to Remoras. They make one sized for the Bobcat, which is the same size as your Minx. They are designed to be IWB holsters held by friction between the body and the belt/waistline of the pants. I use one for my J-frame, and it goes in my pocket as easily as it does my britches. That's what I would suggest for the Minx.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
BuckRub

Midway carry this ? What do I type if I want to view this on google ?
Old October 10, 2013, 01:37 AM   #4
JimmyR

They have a website where you can order, or check some of your local shops

Sticky Holsters Website

You can also buy them from their eBay presence:

Check the sizing chart, but the Minx should fit the SM 1.

I reccomend buying in person with the gun in hand to make sure it fits right, if able.
Old October 10, 2013, 03:15 AM   #5
Carry_24/7

I have pocket holsters for my LCP and NAA Pug .22 mag. They are just what's needed for carrying such pistols.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:40 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

.22 short...

I wouldn't rely on a .22 short caliber for any serious defense.
Im also not sure what "this or that" means.
I would not carry any semi auto pistols smaller than .380acp for defense even as a back up or 2nd gun.

Clyde
Old October 10, 2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

The first SW revolver was 22 S. So if they had a time machine and read this - they wouldn't have made it and we would still be shooting BP guns?

I think the OP was talking about plinking. I have a 22 S Mini from NAA. Cute as a button.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8
BuckRub

Yes I was talking about plinking. Birds, trees, armadillos , rocks (this and that) sorry. No heavy duty defense work with this little baby but I'm sure most people got hit from it would feel like they're dying. I always like to have a gun on me and at home is no different. I shoot at everything. May just carry it in my pocket. Without a holster.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

I use DeSantis Superfly pocket holster every day for my Elsie Pea. Also have their Nemesis pocket holsters for KAHR CM9, and Ruger LCR. They work very well, are comfortable, and make concealment very easy.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...RS/The-Nemesis
http://www.desantisholster.com/store.../Jetfire-Minx-
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 10, 2013, 11:16 AM   #10
dayman

if you're not carrying it for real defense, and you're not concerned about it getting scuffed by (or scuffing) anything else in your pocket you might as well just not keep on in the chamber, and go without a holster.

I'm not familiar with the minx specifically, but I had a 950 in .22 short I use to keep in my vest pocket like that.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:53 AM   #11
BuckRub

Yes sir. I think I made up my mind. I contacted another person who carries in pocket with no holster and that's what I've decided to do. Don't have to worry about a holster or trying to get it out of a holster in my pocket. Thanks everyone.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Yes sir. I think I made up my mind. I contacted another person who carries in pocket with no holster and that's what I've decided to do. Don't have to worry about a holster or trying to get it out of a holster in my pocket. Thanks everyone.
Unloaded I hope!

But this part doesn't make sense:
Quote:
or trying to get it out of a holster in my pocket
A non issue with the right pocket holster. But loading the gun is. (An empty chamber is an empty gun)
Two very good rules of pocket carry:
ALWAYS use a holster
NEVER have anything else in the same pocket.
Old October 10, 2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Yankee Doodle

BuckRub
The last time I checked, testicles are not considered to be disposable items.
Do yourself a BIG favor, and get a holster for the piece.
Check out Rob't Mika pocket holsters. Hand made, and custom fit for the gun. Best pocket holster on the market, bar none. Very reasonable prices.
Old October 10, 2013, 04:48 PM   #14
ripnbst

People seem to really like the Desantis products. I have no personal experience with them.
Old October 10, 2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Keep in mine even with an empty gun there is still the possibility of lint, and other pocket debris getting into places you don't want, jamming the action, or causing barrel obstructions. While a pocket holster is no absolute guarantee against It, there is not one single viable reason not to use one!

A simple answer to the question raised in the OP, "Pocket holsters-good?".....Yes, very!
Old October 10, 2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

The Minx is safe to carry with hammer down in a pocket.
.22 short is not nearly as anemic as most people think.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:55 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do get some sort of holster for it and don't put anything else in that pocket.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Auto5

I use a techna pocket clip on my Ruger LCP. I can clip it to my pocket or inside the waistband.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Coyote Blue

For my S&W 340PD .357 Mag Airlite, I have a fine,tough pocket holster from Kramer Leather. After 6 years, it looks and feels as good as new.

I like Kramer products. They're extremely well made and built to last.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old October 10, 2013, 11:51 PM   #20
Locoweed

I carried a Kel-Tec P3AT in my pocket without a holster for many years. The gun was always full of lint, the finish of the gun became scuffed over time, and all the pockets of my pants wore out quickly. For the past few years I've been using pocket holsters and most of my problems have disappeared. The pocket holster keeps the gun aligned inside the pocket and eliminates wear to the gun and pocket. When you draw from a pocket holster the idea is that it will hook and stay in your pants or will fall out onto the ground out of your way. As an aside, I think the state of Georgia requires all handguns to be carried in holsters and it may be that way in other jurisdictions. Get a holster and use it. I never carry anything else inside my gun pocket.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:10 AM   #21
BuckRub

It wouldn't hurt me to scuff my gun. I just don't want to fumble around trying to get my gun out of holster out my pocket. Idk , I contacted a member on here I knew pocket carries and he said he never uses a holster. It's just a outside gun to play with. Sounds good to have holster if I'd give me my gun and holster stay put. I also have a 38 double barrel derringer. With a small uncle mikes belly holster. I never carry it but when I do it's hard to even draw your dang gun. If like it if it were easier.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:46 AM   #22
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman
I'm not familiar with the minx specifically, but I had a 950 in .22 short I use to keep in my vest pocket like that.
The Beretta Minx is the Model 950B or BS in .22 Short. Same gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckrub
May just carry it in my pocket. Without a holster.
I didn't ask earlier, but do you have the 950B model (Italian made, no safety) or the 950BS (American made, thumb safety).

I would personally reccomend keeping it in something, even just simple leather pocket holster, just to keep the barrel clean and free from obstruction. A .22 caliber muzzle doesn't need a whole lot of lint to become obstructed.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:55 AM   #23
BuckRub

950BS. Yes I noticed last poster saying he didn't know what a minx was. Lol. And I thought about grit/sand in barrel.
Old October 11, 2013, 01:07 AM   #24
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckrub
950BS. Yes I noticed last poster saying he didn't know what a minx was. Lol. And I thought about grit/sand in barrel.
Considering the Minx has been out of the public eye for a few decades, I'll give a pass on that. It really does get confusing.

As to carrying the Minx without a holster, I would say you might get away with it if you carry hammer down. I would never carry one of those cocked and locked. I don't trust a thumb safety loose in my pocket.
Old October 11, 2013, 01:20 AM   #25
BuckRub

Agree on carrying hammer down. My brother bought this gun used about 27 years ago from a friend for $5.00. Looks brand new. Anyway my brother passed away and I just received it. Cute little gun and man it will hold about 8" groups at 75 yards. Very accurate for little gun. Heck to get ammo for. Been waiting for about a month and LGS just got some shorts. Had to pay $50.00 a brick but at least i got some.