The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 8, 2009, 08:32 AM   #1
olmontanaboy

CAS guns?

I know some of you are involved in cowboy action shooting, I think they have seperate catagorys for the different types of guns. Do they have a catagory for percussion black powder guns and if so do many shoot them as opposed to cartridge guns? Also, would double action revolvers be permitted?
When I lived in Montana I'd heard of a group who used to shoot targets while mounted, but they were a couple hundred miles southeast of me and I never did get down that way to see them.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Walther22lr

If you go here, all your questions should be answered. http://www.sassnet.com/

If you can, go to a local match and check it out. It is a lot of fun to watch and participate in! Lots of good people there who will be more than willing to help you out.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Jim Watson

There is a category for cap and ball revolvers, Frontiersman, I believe. You still need a lever action rifle in a pistol caliber and a double barrelled shotgun.

You may not use double action revolvers in SASS but NCOWS allows real period guns of the type.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Hawg

In SASS you can shoot C&B in every class tho there are classes that allow only C&B. Adjustable sights on them are not allowed except for dovetailed sights of original design. SASS does not allow double action revolvers of any type. I can't say about NCOWS or Western 3 Gun but those organizations are few and far between. SASS is much more prolific. SASS has a mounted category but not at every club. SASS requires two revolvers a lever rifle in a pistol caliber and a shotgun, either a SXS or a Winchester 87 lever action or a Winchester 97 pump. The 97 is the only pump allowed in SASS.