The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 2, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
musketman

Best storage lube?

I'm trying to find the best non-petroleum lube for storing my guns for over a year without any rust. Please reply with your favorite lube or recipe for lube. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2
JarYetz

I just got into this black powder stuff, but from what I've gathered Barristol is pretty good. Its on my to-buy list.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Antonio-ES

Your best choice is probably some grease... else take a look at Sentry products: www.sentrysolutions.com

I have been using Tuf-Glide and Tuf-Cloth for sometime now, great stuff, and it doesnt leave any oil.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
CaptainCrossman

the best stuff I've ever seen is Amsoil Metal Protector, it's a synthetic you spray on, it leaves a wax/plastic coating over the gun until next time you want to shoot it.

if I had to store a pistol long term, I'd drop it in a bucket of new lightweight oil, like 3-in-1 oil, then let it drain on a thick rag- then pack it in grease, and put it in a ziplock bag to protect it from moisture.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Smokin_Gun

Cozmoline is still about the best you can keep something preserved in for long time storge.
For my purposes I Hot water/soap washer rinse and dry... and store um in the safe. Wipe um down with an oily cloth form time to time or shoot um :O)
Usually less than 10% humidity here in the Mojave too, that helps.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 2, 2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Storm52

I've been using Steel Shield's Weapon Shield for a few months. Great product. Go to their website and contact for free sample. Good people to deal with.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/store/
Old May 3, 2009, 12:39 AM   #7
arcticap

Eezox

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html
Old May 3, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
musketman

artcticap,
This eezox sounds like an incredible product! Do you use this for both powder solvent and bore lubricant? Do you clean your rifle with this stuff by itself after shooting for the day, or use it in conjunction with something else? I usually shoot real blackpowder since my gun seems to do best with it, and I wipe the barrel inbetween shots. Can this stuff be used to wipe between shots? Thanks!
Old May 3, 2009, 07:21 PM   #9
robhof

robhof

According to EEZOX their lube can be used for everything; I've used it on my B/p and modern pistols and rifles with no complaints.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Xwrench3

i have just been using bore butter inside my m.l. i take it out 3 or 4 times a year to shoot, there has never been any rust come out of the barrel. i do put it in there very heavy though, like a good thick coat of grease. i mention this only because you said non petrolium. the best long term storage product i have used is STP. i stored a browning shotgun for over 20 years, without 1 speck of rust anywhere. i paid for it when i got it ready to shoot again (3 hours of cleaning), but it was well worth it to me.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:34 AM   #11
arcticap

I haven't used Eezox yet but I'm sure that all my guns would benefit from applying a final coat of it as a protectant because it has such a great reputation.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...orrosion2.html

But I don't think that I would use it while shooting because it needs to dry and if too much is applied, the waxy coating may be somewhat sticky.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...corrosion.html

I'd really like to order some to protect the finish on all of my guns from the effects of high summer humidity.