The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Crapshoooter2

Bullet seating Die Suggestions

Crapshoooter2.... a newbie but have been loading and learning for the past 4 months. I currently have Lee 4 die deluxe set for 223( later will be doing 204). I have been working on three different grain bullets. It is time consuming to use the Lee bullet seater. All you have is the top nob. When going to a different bullet, you start over or use a mark or you count turns to get near and making small adjustments is almost as bad

Figured it might be worth it to go to a Micro type seater. Not trying to start a Chevy vs Ford thing but with a budget of around $100 or so would appreciate some suggestions or thoughts. I use a classic Lee.

crapshoooter2
Old March 31, 2019, 05:17 PM   #2
BBarn

The micrometer type are nice, and I use the Hornady one with their dies that you can move from one die to the next.

But instead you can make a dummy of each bullet/cartridge combo and identify it and set it aside. Then the next time you load that combo you can grab that dummy, back off the seater a few turns, load the dummy, raise the ram, and screw the seater down until it touches the bullet of the dummy. That will get you real close to your preferred setting for that bullet/cartridge combo.
Old March 31, 2019, 05:22 PM   #3
LineStretcher

I use the RCBS Competition die set.
Old March 31, 2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Crapshoooter2

Yes I have being using the dummy round method. Any comments about Micro type with a window to but bullet into die? Also I see some comments that there are better shell holders. Should I change them out at same time?
Old March 31, 2019, 05:58 PM   #5
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoooter2 View Post
Yes I have being using the dummy round method. Any comments about Micro type with a window to but bullet into die? Also I see some comments that there are better shell holders. Should I change them out at same time?
The RCBS Competition set comes with a full length resizing die and the Seating die you're looking for. It also has a special shell holder that goes up into the die and keeps the case aligned.
Old March 31, 2019, 06:15 PM   #6
zeke

Would consider the Forster bench rest seater for value/function. If funds limited you can get a Forster br seater without the micro adjuster, and consider seating bullets straighter more value than convenience. If not budjet constrained, would opt for Redding comp seater.
Old March 31, 2019, 07:27 PM   #7
cw308

I like the Redding Competition Seating Die .
Old March 31, 2019, 07:39 PM   #8
USSR

I also use Redding Competition Die Sets for precision rifle rounds.

Don
Old April 1, 2019, 12:43 AM   #9
Metal god

For your budget I recommend the Forster ultra micrometer seating die http://www.creedmoorsports.com/produ...gaApW2EALw_wcB

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 1, 2019, 04:10 AM   #10
HiBC

Step one: I'm not sure if this is true with a four die set,but most SEATER dies have a built in crimp function.If you run the seater die down to contact the shellholder,you will have problems with collapsed shoulders.

You can try removing the seater stem from the die.put a round of brass in the shell holder.Run the ram up.Screw the die body down till it contacts the case neck.Note the gap,die to shellholder..You want a touch more gap.Its not critical,but maybe1/8 turn. You want to be able to repeat this adjustment,I suggest you find a washer or something the right thickness to use as a setting gauge.Ten you can set the die body for zero crimp same height every time.

The floating sleeve micrometer dies are nice.If you go Forster (And I like them)realize they have a unique spindle in the SIZER die. The expander plug is high on the spindle. Read and understand the instructions.
Old April 1, 2019, 07:12 AM   #11
Old 454

Lee dies are inexpensive .. you can probably buy a couple more setting dies for the price of a micro seating die.
Just mark the appropriate setting die with the size/grain bullet
Old April 1, 2019, 09:39 AM   #12
pete2

Old54, how in the world do you remove and reinstall a Lee die and maintain adjustments???? There are no lock rings. I gave up on them, even after putting on real lock rings there is no way to lock the seating stem.. Get Rcbs or Redding and use dummy rounds to set the depth with.
Old April 1, 2019, 11:43 AM   #13
RC20

I have both the RCBS comp dies and the Forster.

Forster is better with accuracy when chaning the dial large movements but small changes are equal.

RCBS is a bit easier to get the bullet set with the side loader port.

Either would be fine, Redding I don't have, but costlier by some amount I think.
Old April 1, 2019, 12:16 PM   #14
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
I have both the RCBS comp dies and the Forster.

Forster is better with accuracy when chaning the dial large movements but small changes are equal.

RCBS is a bit easier to get the bullet set with the side loader port.

Either would be fine, Redding I don't have, but costlier by some amount I think.
I was on a thing where I was buying Redding dies but I didn't see that they were all that much better, if at all. I tried the RCBS Gold Match and then the Competition and I like the Competition better. I have some Forster products and like their quality but ran into some availability issues. Not a big deal but often when I need something, I think I need it now so it sours me when I can't get it.
Old April 1, 2019, 03:43 PM   #15
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
I was on a thing where I was buying Redding dies but I didn't see that they were all that much better, if at all. I tried the RCBS Gold Match and then the Competition and I like the Competition better. I have some Forster products and like their quality but ran into some availability issues. Not a big deal but often when I need something, I think I need it now so it sours me when I can't get it.
" Patience is truly a great virtue to possess "
My Mom would tell me this when I wanted something ASAP... it usually meant I wasn't going to get it anytime soon so I better stop bugging her .
Old April 1, 2019, 05:47 PM   #16
9MMand223only

This is what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Reloa...gateway&sr=8-1

Redding Competition. Then you keep a "card" next to your bench on the wall that lists all your bullet types and what to dial the die to to get desired OAL.

I have over 80 bullet types, there is no way I could use anything but dial type.
Old April 1, 2019, 08:06 PM   #17
hounddawg

I use the RCBS micro seater die in .223. the bullet feed slot eliminates pinched fingers and makes for smooth seating when starting those itty bitty bullets.