The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 12, 2019, 07:46 AM   #26
USNRet93

I pocket carry a Taurus M380 all the time. Have a 'ClipDraw' clip on it..looks like a knife clip..the VERY long DAO trigger makes it safe..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4105 copy.jpg (39.1 KB, 31 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 12, 2019, 08:02 AM   #27
jar

Pocket carry often and for many decades. Ustawuz snub-nose revolvers but more likely a 380 or other 9mm flavor semi-automatic. Usually weak hand pocket.

Sig P230 or P290RS. The former 9mm Kurz (380) in an Alessi pocket holster and the latter could be either 380 or 9mm in a Desantis Pocket holster.

For many years an East German Makarov in 9mmMak in the same Alessi holster as the P230.

When even smaller size is the best option either a Remington RM380 or S&W M&P BG380 is the most likely choice in a Beretta pocket holster that came with the Beretta Pico.

The Pico has night sights so it is the one most often carried in low light or as bedside first choice.
Old May 12, 2019, 08:04 AM   #28
jmhyer

I'm down with th LCP in just about any made-for-pocket-carry holster. Break it down every week to blow or wipe out any pocket lint/particles and add a tiny amount of lubrication to the rails.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:08 PM   #29
unclenunzie

pocket options

Your parameters are 6'4, 200 lbs, clothes on the tighter side, work in a professional environment so potential exposure is not acceptable. Gear choices are 9mm or 38 special. DA or single action with safety. I will assume that DA means DAO for a revolver and similarly a hammerless/striker type pistol.

I think a 642 or LCR with boot grips in the front pocket might work, but these are slightly larger than a semi auto and this will make a difference.

Better for concealment would be a true pocket nine because they are flat and small, though if you are open to 380 or even 32 the flattest and easiest to conceal guns are in those calibers.

The only pocket size nine I am personally familiar with is my Kahr PM9, which when fully loaded with gold dots weighs just under 20 oz (without holster). I have used a Desantis super fly holster which has a velcro-attached anti-print panel which can be adjusted. It's a little thick and tends to be a lump in the pocket like a paperback book or perhaps a larger wallet. I also have an Aholster kydex front pocket holster which is thin and very well made, but can print some if your pockets pull tight to your leg.

Attached are pictures in and out of Aholster kydex front pocket holsters for comparison.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190512_114220 smaller.jpg (189.1 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg 20190512_114013 smaller.jpg (153.4 KB, 467 views)

Last edited by unclenunzie; May 12, 2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: embed images
Old May 12, 2019, 01:12 PM   #30
TomNJVA

I keep my LCP II in the Ruger pocket holster it came with. Since it is an SA pistol without a mechanical safety, it never leaves the holster unless I intend to shoot it. Then I withdraw the holster and gun together as a unit from my pocket.

I realize this means sacrificing a second of time to discard the Ruger holster in a quick draw situation, but I am squeamish about withdrawing the gun from the holster while still in my pocket given its light SA trigger, especially in a panic. This is why I have resisted the temptation to get a DeSantis Nemesis holster with its viscous material that holds the holster to my pants. I think I would rather separate the gun from the holster when outside of my pocket where I have more visual and manipulative control.
Old May 12, 2019, 01:48 PM   #31
wild cat mccane

Truth be told, if someone offered me something around the length of a dollar bill and an inch think to carry in my pocket, I would say no thank you.
Old May 12, 2019, 03:26 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

Some of you have big pockets!
Old May 12, 2019, 03:33 PM   #33
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
exactly.

6'04" at 200 lbs. is skinny, coupled with wearing tight pants, none of those pocket carry options will work. sure they'll fit in his pocket but everyone will know he's got a gun because of the printing. relatively tight cuff straight leg pants also rule out ankle carry. if he leaves his jacket on, a small auto worn IWB could work well.
Old May 12, 2019, 03:45 PM   #34
dgludwig

At this time, my pocket carry gun choices include two revolvers (a vintage Colt Cobra and a S&W Model 12; both chambered in .38 Special and both having a 6-shot cylinder capacity) and one semi-auto, a Ruger LCP, chambered in .380 ACP). One disadvantage revolvers have when a reload is needed is that bulky speed loaders should be carried on the same side of the body as the gun-easy to do if you're wearing a jacket; not so much if not (unless you store them in a speed loader carrier on the belt; not the best option when concealment is wanted, the very reason the revolver is being carried in a pocket in the first place).

Spare magazines for autos, of course, are best toted on the opposite of the body from where the pistol is being carried, exactly where they should be if one is needed in a hurry.

Just some things to consider when carrying a handgun in a pocket.

Last edited by dgludwig; May 12, 2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 12, 2019, 05:02 PM   #35
gbclarkson

Kel tec P32 or an LCR .38 in a Desantis Super Fly pocket holster have been my pocket carry choices.
Old May 12, 2019, 07:06 PM   #36
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
I do. One of the things I look for.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 12, 2019, 07:08 PM   #37
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenunzie View Post
Your parameters are 6'4, 200 lbs, clothes on the tighter side, work in a professional environment so potential exposure is not acceptable. Gear choices are 9mm or 38 special. DA or single action with safety. I will assume that DA means DAO for a revolver and similarly a hammerless/striker type pistol.

I think a 642 or LCR with boot grips in the front pocket might work, but these are slightly larger than a semi auto and this will make a difference.

Better for concealment would be a true pocket nine because they are flat and small,
A snubby revolver has a more irregular, lumpish, shape than a small flat auto. And the Mika holster really works well to hide the profile.

As always, standard Internet disclaimers apply: IMHO&YMMV.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 12, 2019, 07:13 PM   #38
jclayto

For me, the LCP II is nearly impossible to beat when wearing office attire. I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster but often prefer the Ruger holster than ships with the pistol. I find the Ruger holster to be just a tiny bit thinner.

I also own and carry a Kimber Solo 9mm and LCR 38spl but find both of them a bit too bulky for pocket carry.
Old May 12, 2019, 07:13 PM   #39
105kw

I carry a 442 S&W, using a Blackhawk pocket holster.
In winter usually in a coat or vest pocket.
In warmer weather, in my front pocket.
Old May 12, 2019, 07:15 PM   #40
Carmady

I've noticed something about this pocket carry business. It seems like it could be viewed in two ways.

1) pick your pants (pockets) to fit your pistol, or

2) pick a pistol to fit your pants (pockets)

If you like tight pants and revolvers, and want to pocket carry, something has to change.
Old May 12, 2019, 07:16 PM   #41
FITASC

With basic shorts I have carried a 642, Kahr CM-9 and the LCP. The LCP gets carried the most in the pocket because I can wear it with ANY shorts, including basketball type that have no belt.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 12, 2019, 09:45 PM   #42
7.62 man

I carry a SIG P938 (9mm) in a Uncle Mikes size 36 pocket holster.
It works great in a jeans pocket or a baggy shorts pocket for summer wear.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:33 PM   #43
Prof Young

Couple of good guns . . .

Lotta choices for pocket carry these days. I can tell you about Beretta Pico and Kel Tek P3AT. The pico is a well made gun. Relatively easy to care for and, in my experience quite reliable. I just couldn't shoot mine as well as I wanted to, and switched over to the Kel Tek P3AT, which I can shoot much better. It too is well made and reliable. I think the difference between the two is mostly in the trigger. Anyway I've pocket carried both guns, always in a pocket holster, usually in a circumstance where I can't comfortably carry a bigger or better gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 14, 2019, 07:16 AM   #44
jackstrawIII

So, did some experimenting the other day. Seems like you guys are pocket carrying a pretty wide variety of sizes and shapes.

I have a Sig P365 (I carry it IWB at times) and I was trying that out in the pocket the other day (unloaded) and it was super obvious. I have a remora holster and the whole package was way too bulky.

Would something like the LCP be noticeably smaller?

Or should I try the P365 with a different holster before I give up on it? I was also looking at the Sig p938 (because of the 1911 style safety) but it’s basically the same size as the 365, so that’s not hopeful. But maybe a better holster would make a difference?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old May 14, 2019, 07:22 AM   #45
2wheelwander

When I pocket carry its a Smith 642 Airwieght in a DeSantis. Duluth brand pants have large pocket, very we made and seem designed for CC
Old May 14, 2019, 07:27 AM   #46
SATRP

I've tried more than a few. I've found that the Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM to be the best of the best. But that's merely my opinion.
Old May 14, 2019, 08:42 AM   #47
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
So, did some experimenting the other day. Seems like you guys are pocket carrying a pretty wide variety of sizes and shapes.

I have a Sig P365 (I carry it IWB at times) and I was trying that out in the pocket the other day (unloaded) and it was super obvious. I have a remora holster and the whole package was way too bulky.

Or should I try the P365 with a different holster before I give up on it? I was also looking at the Sig p938 (because of the 1911 style safety) but it’s basically the same size as the 365, so that’s not hopeful. But maybe a better holster would make a difference?

I have the Sig P290 in both 380 and 9mm as well as quite a few somewhat smaller 380s.

First, I've never had a problem pocket carrying my Sig P230 or an East German Makarov or one of my Sig P290RS provided I use the right pocket holsters. For the two former I find a heavy leather Alessi holser for the Sig P230 works best and for the two latter Sigs I use a Desantis 111 MK.

But they are all larger and heavier than my modern 380 Pocket pistols.

Of the pocket 380s I find the Remington RM380 the most comfortable to shoot with my S&W M&P BG380 very close once I put some grip tape on the slide and added a Hogue HandAll on the grip. My Beretta Pico has slipped to third place among the small pocket 380s and the latest iteration Ruger LCP is simply not even close and has been relegated to guarding the safe.

Here are some pictures as size comparison with a Sig P290RS that was the predecessor of your P365.

Of the three, the Pico is by far the slimmest yet soft in hand at the range.

The BG380 has been near perfect after an initial issue of the slide not locking back that required a quick trip back to the Mother ship.

The RM380 simply fits my hand as though it was made just for me. It's the one I liked enough to buy two so I would have a spare on hand.

Old May 14, 2019, 05:30 PM   #48
Cosmodragoon

Quote:

If you like the P365, try another holster first. Pocket holsters should cover the trigger, manage pocket orientation, and help to break up the profile for less printing. Sadly, it might not be enough. I talked a little about this in my earlier post. Needing to have the magazine inside the grip imposes limitations on both grip shape and angle. Once you get up into 9mm, the overall package can get more awkward for pocket carry.

At least for me, a pocket .380 like the LCP or Bodyguard is easy. I haven't tried the P365 but other small nines like the PPS and Shield really push the envelope. The LCR is bigger than the pocket .380s but works because the overall shape is different.
Old May 14, 2019, 06:56 PM   #49
tallball

With cargo shorts it's a Ruger LCR 38 special in a DeSantis pocket holster.

In a breast pocket of a flannel shirt, or jean's pocket, it's a Ruger LCP 380acp in a Desantis Nemesis.

I have small 9mm's, but they are noticeably larger than the micro 380's.
Old May 14, 2019, 08:08 PM   #50
Onward Allusion

I pocket carry a NAA or a P3AT as a BUG. Back pocket in a pocket holster. No printing whatsoever.

Tags
concealed carry , edc , pdw , pocket carry , recommendations