The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 17, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
IwntTOhnt

Im buying a new rifle

Hello im 13 years old and im buying my first rifle i need some help to find out which rifle would be a good starter. Now I've shot a 20 gauge shotgun before and a 9mm hand gun but i need to figureout what would be good. Also im looking for something that isn't too much money. So if you could help out that would be great thanks.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Buzzcook

What will you use the rifle for?
For the vast majority of people, young or old, the best first rifle is a .22 Long Rifle of some type.
That caliber rifle is generally the least expensive. The ammunition is by far the least expensive.
Whether you opt for a semi-automatic or a single shot rifle, or something in between, what you learn using a .22lr can be applied to larger centerfire rifles.

Of all the rifles I've owned the one I shoot and enjoy the most is a Marlin Model 60 .22lr. If I had several hundred dollars to spend I'd buy a nice bolt action target rifle in .22lr such as an Anschutz. If I just had a couple hundred I'd be looking at a used .22 from Savage or Remington.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Paul K

A good bolt action .22 is what you want. Buy a name brand and you wont have a problem. They are very accurate, and cheap price-wise. Splurge and get a wood stock, you'll thank me later on.
Its easy to want a super AR-15 or something crazy but the fact is you got to build a platform of which to stand on. .22s are great tools to learn on, and they are simply facinating in their own right.
When you are older and get into bigger guns you will always have your first .22.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:59 PM   #4
globemaster3

+1 to above. You cannot go wrong with a solid .22LR to start with; bolt, single shot, or semi auto! If you do a little searching on here, you'll see we provide this advice pretty much every time for folks in your shoes.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here and willing to help.

The big thing, since you are 13, is make sure your parents are on board with you buying a new rifle. It will not go over very well if you bring it home from a friend's house without your parents knowing.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Delaware_Dan

Look the Ruger 10/22, it was my first .22 rifle and I still have it.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6
trailgator

Ditto on the .22. But if you really want/need a centerfire, the Savage 110 is affordable and accurate.
Old February 18, 2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Baba Louie

Gotta agree w/ the "Go .22lr" crowd. Check out rimfires on the following, with your guardian-type parental units (whoever is going to "gift" it to you... legal technicality, but important nowadays). As others have already mentioned Rugers 10/22, check out Marlin and Remington.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...imfire_rifles/

Then... w/ "parental unit" in tow (let them drive maybe?) maybe check out local shops or pawns for lightly used versions of your choice. Before last Nov. you could often find pretty good deals on Marlin 60s in pawn shops. Those little Marlins are plenty accurate for target shootin', tree rats and cottontails.

Should centerfires float your boat, look for a Savage in .223 perhaps or if deer are in your sights, a .243 or 7-08.

http://www.savagearms.com/

I'd also add, stick to open sights until you've got that down cold, (darn these kids w/ youthful, perfect eyesight anyway) only thinking optics once you've got the basics down pat.

Those 3 (or 4 if you add Ruger) are pretty fine firestick manufacturers and have affordable models for beginners that will last you a lifetime (and maybe your kids and grandkids sometime down the road).

Consider also (never too early to learn) joining the NRA for learning info about arms, safety, hunting and the political reality of firearms ownership in the US.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 18, 2009, 03:52 PM   #8
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day IwntTOhnt and welcome to TFL. I started out at about the same age you are. .22lr single shot with open sights. after about 18 months to 2 years I got a semi auto .22 with telescopic sights. You wont regret a .22lr.
Be safe.
Old February 18, 2009, 06:37 PM   #9
chucksolo69

Gotta go with the .22 as well. I got my first 22 at around 16 and it was a Marlin .22 bolt action with 10 rnd detachable magazine and a scope installed. It was a great shooting, accurate gun and I regret ever getting rid of it. I regularly outshot my friends with their fancy semi-autos.
Old February 19, 2009, 01:51 PM   #10
James R. Burke

What is it for

Hi,
Just wondering what you would be using it for? Sounds like everyone is right with the .22lr they are a great rifle to start out with. I prefer the wood stock also. If you could swing the money a Ruger 10/22 is really nice in stainless. Good luck, and have fun.
Jim

Tags
gun , hunting , rifle , starter , starter rifle