The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 8, 2005, 08:57 PM   #1
RAY WOODROW 3RD

NJ / PA Shoot Sat. April 2,2005.........

Buckeye Gun Club’s
“HELP US WITH OUR DAMN RANGE SHOOT”
(Saturday, April 2, 2005)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fsimil...ndex_frame.htm

The club needs some major range improvements so I am holding a shoot to try and get some badly needed cash flow in order to get the equipment and materials needed to do the job. The cost is $25.00 for all the events. Below is a list of things that will be going on. If you have been to any of our shoots you already know that you will have a good time and great atmosphere amongst other gunners. Please help us in upgrading our range.

You will need a minimum of 24 rounds of handgun ammo (.380 caliber and up) and a minimum of 50 rounds of rifle ammo (anything above .22 caliber). Sign ups start at 9:00am and shooting commences at 10:00am.

SELF-DEFENSE SHOOT

Individually, a shooter will load their firearm with 6 rounds, holster the firearm, have a reload of 6 rounds in a magazine or a speed loader and approach the instructor on the range. From 2 yards, at the command of the instructor, the shooter will draw and engage the man-sized target in front of him or her firing 3 rounds from the hip into the target. After firing 3 rounds, the shooter will still face the target and safely retreat to a barrier behind them firing 3 more rounds while on the move. Once behind the barrier, you find out that your “good arm” has been disabled, cannot move and can only hold things but not bend. Reload 6 rounds, via speed loader or magazine, with your “good arm” disabled and fire 3 more rounds at your target behind cover and three more while retreating to the end of the course.

MULTIPLE TARGET SHOOT

Individually, a shooter will load their firearm with 6 rounds, holster the firearm, have a reload of 6 rounds in a magazine or a speed loader and approach the instructor on the range. From 10 yards, at the command of the instructor, the shooter will draw and move behind a barricade. After putting 2 shots into each target and taking cover between each group of 2 shots you will reload and dial 911 on your cell phone. After reporting your location, re-engage the 3 targets while retreating putting two rounds into each of the three targets.

4-EVENT RIFLE SHOOT

1) Load with 10 rounds. From 50 yards, you will start to walk continuously and engage 5 targets (clay/bowling pin) from 50 yards to 30 yards while traversing the range at a 45-degree angle giving you 2 shots for each target.
2) Load with 10 rounds. From 50 yards, you will walk straight towards your target and engage 5 targets while in motion. Once you reach the 30-yard line at the berm you are done whether you shot all 10 rounds or not.
3) Load with 5 rounds. From 20 yards you will walk backwards while engaging a man-sized target for scoring. You will shoot 5 while on the move starting at 20 yards, change up with a magazine loaded with 10 rounds, shoot 5 while on the move once you cross 30 yards, and the remaining 5 before you cross 40 yards.
4) Load with 15 rounds. From 50 yards you will shoot a man-sized target, 5 rounds in the prone, 5 rounds in the kneeling, and 5 rounds in the standing for score.

If you can make this, please answer up on this board so I get a good head count.

Thanks,
RW3

"The key to success in ANY battle is effective communications."

From NJ? Check out "njcsd.com"
Old March 10, 2005, 07:09 AM   #2
K80Geoff

What are the Magazine laws in Noo Joisey???

30 rounders OK??
Old March 10, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3
David Park

15 rounds and under, Geoff. It's a shame it's in NJ, my AR would be great for the rifle shoot.

Sounds like fun, Ray. I might be able to make it.
Old March 12, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Geoff.......

I'm sorry that I have to drag you and others on the "freedom side" of the iron curtain back behind it but it is for a good cause, "The salvation of a gun range in NJ!"

The neighbor in the mafia mansion that gets along with us is moving and I need to build up the range and sound proof it a little better.
Making it better means I need "MOOLA" to get it done. I hope I don't get one of those liberal bastards moving in next to me.......

Anybody that is gun friendly want to purchase a mansion in the Pines of NJ?

It is listed for a mere $645,000.00.

Come on Geoff.....
You can afford that!!!!!

RW3

Old March 12, 2005, 09:48 PM   #5
David Park

That's actually cheaper than a townhouse in Old Town Alexandria. The commute would be a little far for me, though.
Old March 13, 2005, 06:49 AM   #6
K80Geoff

I am interested in how you will sound proof the range. I want to do that for my backyard range so I can shoot stuff larger than 22 cal.

Done any serious research on the subject?
Old March 13, 2005, 11:16 AM   #7
FlyinGN

you guys serious about the mags? So that means that I cannot bring my 17 rounf Beretta mags?? Damn
even empty locked away in a case??
Old March 13, 2005, 01:34 PM   #8
David Park

Quote:
2C:39-1 y. "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.
Quote:
2C:39-3 j. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army.
See also here:
http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html

If I understand the NJ code correctly, a "crime of the fourth degree" is a misdemeanor.
Old March 13, 2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Jamie Young

Quote:
I am interested in how you will sound proof the range. I want to do that for my backyard range so I can shoot stuff larger than 22 cal.

Give the neighbors ear plugs!
Old March 14, 2005, 06:53 PM   #10
RAY WOODROW 3RD

FlyinGN............

I will have my 92FS Beretta there with the "politically correct" mags if you need to use them.

RW3

Old March 14, 2005, 07:07 PM   #11
FlyinGN

I have (2) 10 rounders Ray Is that enough to compete??
Old March 14, 2005, 07:19 PM   #12
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Yes sir..........

We are only loading 6 per mag so we semi-auto people are "equal" to the revolver people.

RW3

Old March 17, 2005, 09:20 PM   #13
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Come on now "FIRING LINE" people of NJ and PA...

Only 3 people? Only 3 "possible" people?

We can do better than that!!!

Help out a fellow brother and show some support.

RW3

Old March 18, 2005, 12:06 AM   #14
m0ntels

I'd have to try and find a holster. All I've ever done is regular target shooting so I havent needed one up until now. Is a SKS legal over there? And no HP ammo too right?

Randy
Old March 18, 2005, 06:18 AM   #15
FlyinGN

I can lend ya a holster. Im not sure about thr SKS but HP ammo is NOT legal.

This is a fun time. I highly recommend it.. I can't wait.
Old March 18, 2005, 06:58 AM   #16
m0ntels

Well then we should be good with the holster setup cuz I see you have a 6" 686 as well. If the SKS dont fly though, that leaves me with 12ga slugs or the K31 I'll have to see what I can dig up on that one. At least if only 4 of us show up I'll only be the worst of 4 instead of 40...lol.

I'm on vacation the week of this thing but cant afford to go anywhere, so I'd def be in.

Randy
Old March 18, 2005, 07:06 AM   #17
m0ntels

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NJ
Quote:
SKS with detachable magazine type
Quote:
Any firearms which are substantially identical to any of the above firearms; any semiautomatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a conspicuous pistol grip, or a folding stock; a semi automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds. Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine unless the person has a registered "assault firearm" and the magazine is used for DCM sanctioned shooting matches.
Well that leads me to believe it's legal if I leave the original 10rder in there.

Randy
Old March 18, 2005, 07:29 PM   #18
RAY WOODROW 3RD

m0ntels...

SKS is legal in NJ as long as it has the fixed ten rounder.
Norinco SKS CAN NOT have a bayonet on it.

BUT...

Russian, Yugo W/grenade launcher, Albanian, etc. can have the bayonet.
(I know it does not make sense so don't waste the brain power trying to figure it out)

I won the last time with the SKS so you are in good company. I am trying to get those AR15.com people out to this thing again but I think the "cheap commie gun" that beat the expensive AR's might have scared them away. I added the rifle shoot just for those guys. Frank can tell you that this used to be an all pistol event.

As for being the worst out of the group, this is NOT I say again NOT an agressive competition. We all laugh and have a great time together. You will fit right in.

Thank you for supporting my club as well.

RW3

Old March 18, 2005, 08:06 PM   #19
FlyinGN

hey Ray.. gonna do any trap shooting? i gotta try out my new shotgun..
Old March 18, 2005, 10:38 PM   #20
m0ntels

That sure is a goofy rule about the bayos I dont leave mine on anyway since it doesnt snap in so tight anyway. I tried mine for the first time at 150yds the other weekend and kept a pie plate sized group with Wolf ammo. Much better than I expected. My first 20 K31 loads didnt do so well in comparison. D'oh!

I've only been shooting about once a month for the last year and a half, so I expect myself to do about that well, but no matter how I do, it's always fun to launch a pile of lead. Plus it's a new style of shooting, so it should be a blast. Meeting new people is a bonus as well. All those great things for only $25 and an hour's drive. Cant beat that! LOL

Randy
Old March 21, 2005, 01:25 PM   #21
FlyinGN

ttt for Ray!
Old March 24, 2005, 09:36 PM   #22
RAY WOODROW 3RD

T-minus 8 days and counting...

Anybody else from "the firingline" coming to this thing?
Let me know ASAP.

RW3

Old March 24, 2005, 10:27 PM   #23
m0ntels

I still plan on coming...

Randy
Old March 28, 2005, 12:11 AM   #24
RAY WOODROW 3RD

Rain or shine Guys...

We have a large club house with a large fireplace that can keep you dry so don't let a little water scare you...

If you ask others that have come to these events it is kind of like a tradition to have some rain at Buckeye!

Rw3

Old March 28, 2005, 06:44 AM   #25
K80Geoff

I am in a quandry. I only have one 10 round mag for my AR and it is a "Frankenmag" from the AWB era. It will jam with consistency.

Maybe I will just bring my Winchester 92! It will hold 10 + in the tube