The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2011, 08:58 AM   #1
thestevens

12 ga, stevens model 67 series E for home defense?

Greetings,

My grandfather passed down a 12 gauge Stevens model 67 series with 3" chamber. I know it's an old gun, but I figure I might as well keep it for home defense.

I was told that the best ammo for home defense is magnum 2 & 3/4 double ought buckshot. Would the model that I have be capable of firing this?

I ask this because it's an old gun.

Thanks.

Last edited by thestevens; November 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
DRJV

Im going to assume from what I saw online as pictures of this shotgun that its a pump action with 3-5( +1) capacity. with that being the case, to answer your question (with another question!) does it have the accessories (or can it be modified to fit the accessories that you feel you need (i.e. flashlight, side saddle/ shell carrier, underslung grenade launcher y'know the essentials )
if it can accommodate all that (any of that you deem necessary to protecting your home that is) then it is adequate for home defense.

Hope this helps

-Desi

P.S. if you have found your gun lacking in any way i would recommend a remington 870 or mossberg 590a1

P.P.S. After reading your ENTIRE post (and realizing that im an IDIOT) is it a 3 inch chamber or 3 inch barrel (that'd be an awfully short shotgun) if the former is true, then yes you can.

Last edited by DRJV; November 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3
thestevens

thanks Drjv

Desi,

Yes, I meant 3" chamber, not barrel. I don't know what 3-5( +1) capacity means, and I don't know what it means to modify a shotgun. I have never owned a shotgun before. I have much to learn.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4
PawPaw

As a matter of fact, my waterfowl gun is a Stevens Model 67. It routinely handles heavy 3" waterfowl loads. I bought it used, in 1973 from a now defunct hardware store in Natchitoches, LA. I paid $85.00 for it.

Quote:
I ask this because it's an old gun.
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. My duck gun is now officially an "old gun". On the other hand, I guess it's still worth $85.00.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 30, 2011, 11:08 AM   #5
oneounceload

The only accessory you need is ammo and trigger time

3-5+1 - he is asking about magazine capacity - can the tube hold 3-5 rounds (=1 in the chamber?)

Many folks feel they need to add a lot of gizmos and gadgets before it can become a serious defense gun - it doesn't - most of those things add unnecessary extra weight ni the wrong places as well as all sorts of areas where a snag can occur as you try to move around.

Go find a shotgun safety course or three, shoot some skeet at a gun club, take a HD course or so, and buy ammo and shoot

Good to go
Old November 30, 2011, 11:49 AM   #6
thestevens

I'm really not sure about the magazine capacity. I should probably go down to my local gun shop and ask some questions as well as find a safety course.
Old November 30, 2011, 12:41 PM   #7
DRJV

very sorry if i was not clear enough with my line of thought oneounceload hit the nail on the head exactly about what i was trying to say. I recently invested in my first shotgun so i was trying to help a fellow newbie. BTW the underslung grenade launcher thing was a joke... because the most im putting on my shotgun is a red dot sight because of my poor eyesight

-Desi