The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
ruben205

Why isn't the NRA fighting this unconstitutional law?

So some of you may have heard that last month the ATF said that people who use medicinal marijuana are not allowed to own firearms. This is a clear violation of the 2nd amendment. Why is the NRA remaining silent about this?
If the NRA is really an organization that advocates the right to own a firearm they would fight this. But perhaps because the NRA isn't really a gun rights organization but simply a strong-arm of the conservative right. Ask any cop if he sees more violence from people who are drunk or on marijuana... I'm not here to debate the legality of marijuana but rather to debate the weakening of the 2nd amendment. If we allow the ATF to take guns away from medicinal marijuana users, where does it stop? What about taking guns away from people who get a DUI/Drunk in public? Maybe they will take guns away from people who suffer a stroke. Its a slippery slope.

If the NRA doesn't fight this I'll lose all respect I had for it. What are your thoughts about this?
Old October 26, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
BlueTrain

I have no problem with making alcohol illegal.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 26, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3
ruben205

@BlueTrain: Research prohibition in America in the 1920's and see how well that worked out. Restricting alcohol is completely unconstitutional.
Old October 26, 2011, 02:13 PM   #4
zincwarrior

Quote:
So some of you may have heard that last month the ATF said that people who use medicinal marijuana are not allowed to own firearms. This is a clear violation of the 2nd amendment. Why is the NRA remaining silent about this?
If the NRA is really an organization that advocates the right to own a firearm they would fight this. But perhaps because the NRA isn't really a gun rights organization but simply a strong-arm of the conservative right. Ask any cop if he sees more violence from people who are drunk or on marijuana... I'm not here to debate the legality of marijuana but rather to debate the weakening of the 2nd amendment. If we allow the ATF to take guns away from medicinal marijuana users, where does it stop? What about taking guns away from people who get a DUI/Drunk in public? Maybe they will take guns away from people who suffer a stroke. Its a slippery slope.

If the NRA doesn't fight this I'll lose all respect I had for it. What are your thoughts about this?
because:
1. People who smoke weed are druggies and should not be around firearms?
2. Most members of the NRA are not druggies?
Old October 26, 2011, 02:16 PM   #5
ruben205

Should alcoholics be allowed around firearms? More violent acts are done while under alcohol than Marijuana. And Zinc, you're missing the point. The NRA should defend gun ownership for all Americans because if they ignore this they set a precedent that they aren't really about firearm rights and the 2nd ammendment. By your logic Zinc: why don't we not allow gay's to own firearms as well? Most people in the NRA aren't gay.
Old October 26, 2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Tennessee Gentleman

Pot and guns do not mix.
Old October 26, 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Seems to me that we have had two recent threads on the issue.

Here's one. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=464253&page=3

A new OP discussing the NRA in outrage and bringing in gays, drug usage, strokes, etc. is too ill-defined and will lead to flaming. The responses are already that way.

Do we really want to debate drug policy - the core of the issue? Should the NRA fight this issue specifically of what is a good drug?

No, we probably don't this here.

So from my high horse - I say to thee.

Closed.