The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 15, 1999, 06:48 AM   #1
Harold

Have been in law enforcement most of my life therefore most of my shooting has been of the combat/ipsc type,Now that retirement is here I am interested in getting into a different type of shooting discipline.Cowboy shooting looks like it might be fun.What type of guns are needed to compete in this sport?How many are needed? Is a ruger with adj sights ok?I've been looking over the sass site but cant get on unless I join up with sass first.Appreciate any info I can get.Incidently i am in the penna delaware valley area,any cowboy shooting areas near me?

------------------

Old August 15, 1999, 09:01 AM   #2
Quantrill

Harold-
There are at least 2 CAS shoots in Pa. near you, 1 in NJ and I believe 2 in Del. At first perhaps you may wish to borrow guns to shoot. Most competitors will be happy to oblige. Normally at least 1 Single Action Pistol is required [sometimes 2 are needed for some stages], A lever action rifle in a pistol caliber and a shotgun [usually a side by side or a model 1897 pump are used]. The whole idea is firearms and clothing made prior to 1900 or replica thereof. You didn't say what kind of Ruger with adjustable sights but if it is any of the blackhawks, that is fine as the pistol must be a single action. I would suggest joining SASS as they are the governing body of CAS shooting. Also you will receive a publication, Cowboy Chronicle that will list just about all shoots throughout the world including the Delaware Valley. If you have more specific questions, you may E-mail me with them. I have been shooting CAS for about 5-6 years in the area you describe.
Quantrill
Old August 15, 1999, 09:55 AM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Harold,

Quantrill gave you the basic lowdown on what guns are required in CAS. I'm curious as to the problems you've been having accessing the SASS web site. As far as I know,you don't have to be a member to access any area of the site,even the SASS Wire discussion area. I'd try the SASS site again,and report back here if you're still having problems.

Bellicose Bill