The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2017, 09:22 AM   #1
CDR_Glock

Alternate AR-500 targets

I love shooting three or four targets at my range. I have a couple of Arntzen targets, a Rubber Dummy and an IPDA cardboard target stand.

However, I am planning to get into competition very soon, and I'd like to get some other steel targets. I'm 95% convinced of getting a Texas Star 8" and a Dueling tree.

Are these AR-500 Targets all made of similar quality? The star is around the neighborhood of $600-$700 and the Dueling tree around $300-$400.

Cost is not an issue. I want something that is safe, durable and well made.

Any recommendations on brands, suppliers, that are out there?

Are there any pitfalls for safety to worry about when shooting them? For example ricochets or splashback? I only intend to shoot 9 mm and 45 ACP, as those are the only calibers I would consider competing with anyways.

The minimum recommended distance is 15 yards, though my club wants all steel out to 25 yards minimum.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 12, 2017, 03:59 PM   #2
PPGMD

A Texas star isn't a horrible thing to have, but it is something that people who do own them rarely set them up. You shoot a star once or twice and you figure out how to shoot it. So the hassle of reset, and setup means it spends most of the time setting in the shed.

Dueling tree worthless for competition shooting. They are fun to play with while you have friends over.

Plate racks are probably one of the best targets to buy, as you don't have to walk down and reset.

Honestly beyond static steel targets, like 8" circles and such, and plate racks my suggestion is to get moving targets like a swinger, drop turner, et al. That way you can get used to shooting and timing them. But even then they are a once in a while target because they are a pain to setup and reset (mine mostly sits in the shed). One of the targets I really want to get is a max trap, but again I am not sure it would get as much use as a plate rack or my static steel targets.
Old September 12, 2017, 06:25 PM   #3
GlenF

Dueling Tree

My wife and I purchased a dueling tree from Action Target for pretty much the same reasons CDR_Glock is considering one. And I believe it’s a fine way to practice acquiring a target and getting off a fast accurate shot.

The dueling tree we got is about 115 pounds. It breaks down into several base parts, a vertical column, and of course the 6 paddles. We keep it in our garage disassembled and transport it to and from the range that way. It assembles quickly with a few bolts.

Multiple friends and a bunch of people I don’t know have worked out with many calibers. Even a young lady with a SBR suppressed 300 BlackOut gave it a good going over. Altogether I would guess about 5000 bullets have impacted this thing either where they should, and some hitting the center column. The only effect all this shooting has had, is paint being knocked off. No dents, craters or any other damage anywhere.

I was sold on this model device when my wife and I got to practice at a private LEO range where they had one, and it had been in use for some time.

By the way, I would like to get a Texas Star also. But from having shot those in competition my wife thinks they were designed by the devil.

Good luck in you adventure.
Old September 12, 2017, 09:01 PM   #4
jmorris

I built auto reset targets that I use most often as you don't have to do anything except shoot, reload and shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIOcNNcLxnU

Also have a couple of star targets but as above its walk down there, bend over, pick up and set steel, walk back then reload, for another few seconds of shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02FNsp4-6NQ

FWIW unless your loading major 9 or 460 Rowland 45 ACP, 3/8" thick mild steel will work fine for them.