The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Bird3897

Chrony

Looking for recommendations on a good chronograph that is priced right.
any suggestions?
Old March 23, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2
chris in va

http://www.shootingchrony.com/
Old March 23, 2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Ruger # 1

You can get a F-1 ShootingChrony for well under a hundred bucks. They don't have all the bells and whistles, but they are darn handy. Mine has served me very well.
Old March 23, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4
rbernie

Chrony Beta - Midway has the 'master' version (with remote display) on sale for $120. I have one, and love it.
Old March 24, 2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Oldphart

Good Chrony

I'll second that!
Old March 24, 2005, 03:03 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

I think you mean the "Shooting Chrony" brand, beta version. That's what I had the Beta version with the "master" option (the master beta of course). But I sold it because it wouldn't give readings a lot, gave some suspect readings, and was pretty user un-friendly (3 buttons for 20 functions means memorizing a bunch of non-intuitive sequences to get what you want). I just purchased a GOOD chrony, the Oehler 35P, but haven't yet used it, so cannot comment other than to say it's supposed to be the best non-commercial grade one out there - we'll see - it's certainly got nice features, like the adjustable length, from 2 feet out to about 10 feet, for more accurate readings, and 3 skyscreens if you like, rather than 2, to give verification of a reading, to throw out the mis-reads. If I had to do it again, I'd save up and get a better one than a shooting chrony from the get-go, since I took a loss on it.
Old March 24, 2005, 11:16 PM   #7
Selfdfenz

I got the beta chrony with remote and the printer and eventually the lights to shoot inside.

Works just fine. Like the printer.

Outside I have qc's reloads, tested factory ammo, even shot a ball bearing thur it with my wrist rocket

Inside I've used it to measure 177 pellets from my rifle and pistol.

I would buy it again if I had it to do over. I wish I had it years ago!

Funny thing is, I used I a lot for a while, till I answered all my reloading questions but not nearly so much now days. I could have spent more but I'm not way sure the overage would have been totally justified in the long run.
Old March 25, 2005, 12:40 AM   #8
scottys1

I bought an Oehler 35. 30 years of auto repair has taught me not to skimp on tools. I didn't get the printer option as I can handle a pen and paper just fine.
I like the idea of an extra screen that automatically throws out suspect velocities. You have two measurements of every shot and if they don't agree pretty closely, the chrono labels it as suspect.
With any chrono I like the idea of having the electronics next to me on the bench where they won't be shot accidently. Replacing a skyscreen is easier than replacing a whole chronograph.
Old March 25, 2005, 07:05 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

choices

CED, Oehler ('Cadillac'), PACT.

I have a PACT One (going on 7 or 8 years), very satisfied with product and service ('cause you shoot parts, then you gotta call and get more, you know....).