The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 30, 2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Mobius_matt

H&R "top break" help just a bag of parts

Hey guys. I am new here but I was reading threads on this style of top break guns and I felt this site had the most experience and could possibly point me in the right direction.
The simple story is a friend of mine inherited some guns after his father passed. Most are in great shape with the exception of this one. From what I am told he was in the process of restoring it. Now that he passed I would like to restore it for my friend. I know a decent amount about firearms but in this case I was just handed a bag of parts.
Any information would be appreciated.

. what model is it ?
. do i have all the parts (missing a pin)
. can it be put back together
. will it ever shoot again?

Any thoughts ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0674.jpg (183.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.jpg (115.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0677 (1).jpg (184.9 KB, 84 views)
Old November 30, 2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

It'll come alive again, (caliber), I have no idea, but it's more that likely stamped on the top rib. Look at the book *Exploded View Gun Parts* it will
help determine if all the parts are there. The only thing that I notice is one
pin is bend (no big deal there).
Old November 30, 2017, 06:42 PM   #3
Mobius_matt

Well for the caliber I measured the cylinder and its coming up as .33 so I imagine its a .32 S&W ... however I am having a hard time finding the exploded parts view since I am not sure on the model
Old November 30, 2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Caliber is .32 S&W.
Old November 30, 2017, 08:46 PM   #5
Tidewater_Kid

If you are interested in restoring it, check with Numrich. All of these old top breaks are similar. I have several of the Iver Johnson's and the parts look the same.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hr

I would try Google'ing H&R Top Break and look at images. You should be able to match up something. Looks like the 1904 or 1905 models.
Old December 1, 2017, 03:41 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Caliber is .32 S&W.
.32 S&W Long. The models with 6 shot cylinders were made with a longer cylinder and larger frame.
Old December 1, 2017, 03:44 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Is there any writing on the left side of the barrel? The earlier H&R's didn't have any marking on the barrel of the cartridge, then at some point around 1900 (give/take a few yrs) they started doing it.

What this tells us is whether the gun is rated for smokeless powder or not.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Well, Truthtellers- why don't you have a look at the picture, and then tell me it's .32 S&W long? Because it damned sure isn't!
It's better to have people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old December 1, 2017, 10:40 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Well, Truthtellers- why don't you have a look at the picture, and then tell me it's .32 S&W long? Because it damned sure isn't!
It's better to have people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Alright Bill, then tell me why in MY 6 shot .32 H&R I can chamber and fire .32 S&W Long? Me thinks it has something to do with it was built to fire the .32 Long.
Old December 1, 2017, 11:37 PM   #10
Mobius_matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Is there any writing on the left side of the barrel? The earlier H&R's didn't have any marking on the barrel of the cartridge, then at some point around 1900 (give/take a few yrs) they started doing it.

What this tells us is whether the gun is rated for smokeless powder or not.
No writing on either side of the barrel. Ya I was curious if I could use modern ammo. I guess I should focus on putting it back together first.
Old December 1, 2017, 11:40 PM   #11
Mobius_matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater_Kid View Post
If you are interested in restoring it, check with Numrich. All of these old top breaks are similar. I have several of the Iver Johnson's and the parts look the same.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hr

I would try Google'ing H&R Top Break and look at images. You should be able to match up something. Looks like the 1904 or 1905 models.
cool thanks Ill check it out now
Old December 1, 2017, 11:52 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

All those old guns were made and intended for .32 S&W (aka .32 S&W Short). The .32 S&W Long didn't exist until 1896 when it was introduced for S&W's first side swing revolver. In many H&R and IJ revolvers, the older guns will take the longer round because the chambers are drilled straight through. Both cartridges are very low power and there is probably no danger in firing the "Long" in the older chambers, but the guns were not intended for it.

FWIW, the Gun Parts Corp. catalog includes that gun under the heading "Automatic, Police Automatic" (H&R's term meaning "automatic ejection" or ejection when the gun was opened, as opposed to "hand ejection", or requiring manual action to eject fired cases.)

I see some missing parts in the picture of that gun, mainly the lever and spring (hand and hand spring). The trigger spring is not correct; it may be home-made or from an Iver Johnson, but an H&R spring should be a V type. I don't see a sear and spring, either.

Jim
Old December 2, 2017, 01:56 AM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
In many H&R and IJ revolvers, the older guns will take the longer round because the chambers are drilled straight through. Both cartridges are very low power and there is probably no danger in firing the "Long" in the older chambers, but the guns were not intended for it.
Ah, that would explain it. Thing is, mine with the writing on the side chambers .32 S&W Long, but it won't fully chamber .32 H&R Magnum, so at some point H&R must have gone from boring the chambers straight through to having a chamber throat.

I agree with you, I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting .32 Long in a .32 S&W top break so long as it was made for smokeless. I think the OP would be fine if his revolver chamber the .32 Longs and shot black powder loads in it.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:21 AM   #14
Smoke & Recoil

I can help put an end to your frustration...pack it up and send it to me, as a gift of course. Only trying to help.
Old December 3, 2017, 09:40 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .32 H&R Magnum is a modern cartridge, intended for use in solid frame (not top break) H&R revolvers. It has more power than the .32 S&W/.32 S&W Long, but less than the .327 Federal Magnum. The latter is a high pressure round that should not be used in any revolver not made for it. Other .32 revolvers should never (NEVER!) be altered to fire the .327 Federal Magnum, or the .32 H&R Magnum, for that matter..

Jim
Old December 3, 2017, 11:18 PM   #16
Gaucho Gringo

Another thing is a lot of this type of gun were only intended for black powder loads. I know the Iver Johnson's unless they have bolt notches in the cylinder they were black powder only guns and your cylinder has no bolt notches. Even though .32 S&W short is a low power cartridge, the smokeless powder rounds you get today have a higher pressure spike than black powder ones. Another thing to consider if you get it back together and want to shoot it.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old December 4, 2017, 01:18 AM   #17
TruthTellers

Gaucho, my .32 H&R with writing on the side of the barrel that indicates it was made in the smokeless era doesn't have the typical bolt stop slots, it's the old black powder style, but it works with smokeless loads.

Your advice is sound though, I just don't want the OP to think the way the bolt stops look are the only telltale sign of black powder vs smokeless. In the Iver's it is, but not the H&R's.

When smokeless loads are used, best to use starting load charges in the top breaks. I tried some moderate .32 S&W Long in mine and it felt a bit too strong for regular shooting.