The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
ChasingWhitetail91

Winchester Super X?

Getting ready for state land this year so I went to buy some slugs for my new Ithaca SuperSingle 20ga. They were out of Fosters and Brenneke so I bought a couple boxes of Winchester Super X hollow point rifled slugs. Has any one used these rounds with any success?
Old August 30, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
upstate81

I have used those slugs for many years with great success in my 870. However my county just legalized rifle hunting this year so the 870 will be taking a break from the tree stand.
Old August 30, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Being a cheap-skate shooter/hunter I do count my hunting cost as "per lbs of yield" so I buy cheap ammo... I cannot find any difference in a federal slug and a Super X.... I don't. personally, care for the remington express ammo... I just feel it is a bit dirtier shooting and not quite as accurate as either federal or Super X...

I pity any target in my 65-85 yard comfort zone... They are gonna get a hard hit...

Brent
Old August 30, 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
ChasingWhitetail91

What kind of gun and gauge if you dont mind me asking hogdogs?
Old August 30, 2013, 06:44 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am lethal with that round in either of my 20 gauge guns... one being a 25 year old Mossberg 500 18 inch and the other is a 1953 Stevens double gun...

It was cut back so both are cylinder bore...

Brent
Old August 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

When I hunted with a smooth-bore shotgun I always used the Super-X. They worked very well. Shotguns can be finicky just like rifles though. My Remington 870 wouldn't shoot Federal slugs worth a darn and my dad's 1100 liked the Federals and didn't shoot the Super-X as well. Make sure your gun likes them, don't think that because another slug works you'll shoot to the same POA.
Old September 1, 2013, 03:55 PM   #7
shortwave

Good advice Brian. One of my 1100's shoots the Super X better while the other prefers the Rem. Sluggers. Found out a couple years ago both guns shoot Brenneke KO's better then either the Win. or Rem. Go figure.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
ChasingWhitetail91

Thanks all, just trying to get a general consensus on them. I'm chambered for 3, but unfortunately all they had were the 2 3/4. Please correct me if i'm wrong but the 3" will have slightly more velocity then the 2 3/4 will. I've heard its not much of a difference, but any little edge helps when looking for those swamp donkeys.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Winchester Super X?

You don't need 3" slugs to kill deer. All you get Is more recoil. I never used 3" a day in my life.
Old September 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
shortwave

Take Brian's advice.

The 3" doesn't kill deer any more dead than the 2 3/4"...and your shoulder will thank you as well.
Old September 13, 2013, 02:08 PM   #11
MandolinMan

Winchester Super X slugs are the only slugs I've ever used, so I can't say how they compare to other brand slugs. But I can say they work great for me. Know a fellow that dropped a buck at over 100 yrds with a smooth bore 20 ga. using them. No complaints here.
Old September 13, 2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Webleymkv

The only way to tell is to shoot them and see. When I was a kid, my dad's primary deer gun was an old Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga for which he had a 20" smoothbore slug barrel. The gun consistently shot Winchester slugs the best, Remingtons just OK, and you could just about throw Federals at the target more accurately than you could shoot them. Now, I have a Remington 870 Express 12ga with a 20" smoothbore slug barrel and it shoots Federals very well and Winchesters and Remingtons OK.
Old September 16, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
ChasingWhitetail91

By smoothbore slug barrel do you mean it had rifle sights? The 20ga Ithaca I just bought was labeled a slug gun, but has no rifling with rifle sights on it. I always thought a slug gun meant it had a rifled barrel.
Old September 16, 2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Winchester Super X?

Slug guns never had rifled barrels until fairly recently.
I'm sure it varies somewhat with locale but if you went back 10 years in NY, the southern half of which was at the time entirely shotgun only, virtually no one owned a rifled shotgun.
The slugs were rifled, the guns weren't. Even now, unless someone bought a gun fairly recently the odds are good that its a smooth bore.
As an example, my hunting group is 7 guys. Only 2 have rifled barrels. One now, the other guy (me) got rid of the shotgun altogether.
Old September 16, 2013, 01:27 PM   #15
shortwave

Quote:
By smoothbore slug barrel do you mean it had rifle sights? The 20ga Ithaca I just bought was labeled a slug gun, but has no rifling with rifle sights on it. I always thought a slug gun meant it had a rifled barrel.
As usual, Brian's info is correct.

Just because a slug bbl. is marked as such and also has rifle sights, that has nothing to do with the bbl. itself having rifling inside. AFAIK, most smooth bore bbls. marked as slug bbls. do have rifle sights(or something simlilar) from the factory instead of a bead.