The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 01:43 PM   #26
1911Tuner

The Nam: Tales of Rice Paddy Daddy

Quote:
I carry mine just like I did in Vietnam, condition 1 cocked and locked at all times.
I was unauthorized to carry a sidearm. (0311) Got caught carrying one near Dong Ha and got reamed out for having it...and having it in C-1. It was a Light Colonel. I asked him: "What're ya gonna do? Send me to Vietnam?" He coughed and told me to keep it in my ruck, and the matter was dropped. I had to open it up and clean the mud out of the innards once.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:46 PM   #27
bikerbill

Always cocked and locked ... if for some reason you don't feel comfortable with the gun in that condition, there are tons of other choices (at the moment, anyhow) that will offer you options, like a revolver or a semi like a Springfield or Glock ... well, maybe not a Glock ...
Old January 25, 2013, 09:44 PM   #28
Verbal Clint

Condition 1...for the WIN!
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old February 8, 2013, 05:02 PM   #29
sixgunluv

Condition

I prefer condition 2 but i wouldn't feel any different carrying it in condition1. I believe you should carry however you feel comfortable....the most important safety is the one between your ears. To me drawing and cocking the hammer is as easy as any single action revolver. I also have an aversion to grip safeties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holster 2.jpg (166.0 KB, 31 views)
Old February 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #30
jimbob86

Condition 1: Cocked and locked.

The way God and JMB intended.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:44 PM   #31
rebs

If you carry with the hammer on half cock or hammer down on a chambered round and drop the gun and it lands on the hammer will it fire ?
Old February 8, 2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Vartarg

Condition 1

Hammer back, on safe.
If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King
Old February 8, 2013, 07:47 PM   #33
Skadoosh

Condition 1, baby!
Old February 8, 2013, 09:52 PM   #34
k511

C1: cocked and locked

Edit: no if working properly the 1911 platform will not discharge at half cock if dropped, also will not should not discharge at full cock with thumb safety off....
Old February 8, 2013, 11:23 PM   #35
Edward429451

Quote:
No, it wasn't designed specifically to be continuously maintained in Condition One, nor was it the intent of JMB or anybody else.
Perhaps, but it sure wont hurt it.

Condition 1 for me, since 1984 same gun. the only time it's not in condition one is for cleaning, then it's reloaded, back into the holster cond,1. Never had a problem with it.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:34 AM   #36
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
Perhaps, but it sure wont hurt it.
Never said that it would. I said that "Cocked and Locked the way JMB intended" is a myth, that...while very popular...isn't based in fact.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

John Browning designed the 1911 to work the way the Ordnance Department wanted it to work. The original prototype didn't have a thumb safety -- that was added per Ordnance Department request. What we're really asking isn't how John Moses Browning intended the pistol to be carried, but how the Ordnance Department intended it to be carried.

If you scare up a copy of the original field manual for the M1911, it says to keep it with the chamber unloaded and the hammer down when in "safe" areas, and to load the chamber and apply the thumb safety when action is "imminent." In the context of WW1, it would seem that "imminent" would be when the enemy was making a mass attack, or you were making a mass attack.

For us, today, we carry a 1911 for self-defense. Muggers and assailants don't make appointments, so IMHO any time I'm out on the street (or in my house, for that matter) the need for my sidearm may be "imminent" at any time. So -- I carry in Condition 1 because IF I need it, I'm going to need it quickly.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; February 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 9, 2013, 09:27 AM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

Aguila Blanca, just explained and said it perfectly.

Different time now. Different needs.

Civilians and LE carry them now.

I haven't seen such a good explanation yet. Good call!

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:55 AM   #39
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
If you scare up a copy of the original field manual for the M1911, it says to keep it with the chamber unloaded and the hammer down when in "safe" areas, and to load the chamber and apply the thumb safety when action is "imminent." I the context of WW1, it would seem that "imminent" would be when the enemy was making a mass attack, or you were making a mass attack.
That's pretty much military protocol regardless of the weapon. Not even naval guns are maintained with chambered rounds until the signal is given to hoist Baker.

"Line of departure. Lock and load."
Old February 9, 2013, 10:12 AM   #40
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Tuner View Post
That's pretty much military protocol regardless of the weapon. Not even naval guns are maintained with chambered rounds until the signal is given to hoist Baker.

"Line of departure. Lock and load."
I'm not much of a 1911 fan (don't even own one), so I have no dog in the fight. But in the military we didn't even keep the magazine in the weapon unless there was an elevated threat. On the rare occassion I was issued a side arm for a few hours - I was an electronics wennie and seriously more valuable there - I had an unloaded 1911 with two mags containing 5 rounds each. Not really Barney Fife, but my job was to call the real guys if anything big came down. The officer in charge made that decision.

I did have a 45 marksman ribbon, so at least I knew what to do with it. Unlike some other guys. I was afraid of getting killed by them.

Last edited by mrbatchelor; February 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #41
Skadoosh

Quote:
But in the military we didn't even keep the magazine in the weapon unless there was an elevated threat.
Navy, Post 9/11,... any watch that requires wearing of a sidearm will be wearing it in condition 1.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:43 AM   #42
DATL

I carry "condition 2" most all of the time. I personally haven't had a need for "condition 1" unless I was hog hunting or responding to a bump in the night to appease the wife or a neighbor. As I'm sure many of you do- I seem to be able to cock it from "condition 2" pretty fast as I reach down to unholster the firearm- just cocking it with my thumb as I roll/pull it out of the holster.

I don't carry a 1911 too much for SD. I don't really like SA for CC. Plus I have both experienced and heard at the range "Oops my 1911 doesn't like this ammo". For SD carry I like to use handguns that love ANY ammo! Like a fat kid loves cake! Not bashing the 1911's I love them.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:15 AM   #43
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh View Post
Navy, Post 9/11,... any watch that requires wearing of a sidearm will be wearing it in condition 1.
I do note that as I drive around bases that a lot more people are armed than 30-35 years ago, and the magazine is always inserted, unlike my day. I'll accept your statement that it's in condition 1.

Since most of the gate security details I see usually have 2-5 enlisted people, all clearly far more heavily armed than I remember in my day, I assume that if some event happens at the gate they have standing orders and a protocol to follow to escalate that includes deadly force?
Old February 9, 2013, 11:26 AM   #44
h2otoo

Cocked & Locked. Usually IWB with thumb break under the hammer. OWB without thumb break. (typically my usual CC is something smaller)

Bob
Old February 9, 2013, 07:10 PM   #45
Skadoosh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
I do note that as I drive around bases that a lot more people are armed than 30-35 years ago, and the magazine is always inserted, unlike my day. I'll accept your statement that it's in condition 1.

Since most of the gate security details I see usually have 2-5 enlisted people, all clearly far more heavily armed than I remember in my day, I assume that if some event happens at the gate they have standing orders and a protocol to follow to escalate that includes deadly force?
I can assure you their sidearms are carried in Condition 1. All DoD security force personnel are trained to the deadly force continuum with regular refresher training.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:08 PM   #46
Texshooter

What condition is carrying empty chamber but with hammer back to make racking the slide quicker & easier?
Old February 9, 2013, 09:26 PM   #47
ScottRiqui

Quote:
What condition is carrying empty chamber but with hammer back to make racking the slide quicker & easier?
That doesn't correspond to any of the traditional conditions of readiness, but I guess it's closest to Condition 3, except that in Condition 3, the hammer's forward.