The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Did Lee change their mold design?

Just purchased a Lee mold for 9 MM through Titan Reloading.

I own six or seven other Lee molds and the design of this mold is worlds ahead of the other I own.

Three things are apparent which I like.

1. This mold is held onto the handles by use of Allen screws which (I think) can be removed. I don't know that I would ever want to change molds but it is entirely possible that I might be interested in putting these mold halves on a different set of handles. I put together some spring loaded mold handles a while back but they only work on the steel molds that can be easily separated from the handles.

2. The locating pins are far superior to the locating ridges or shafts that were part of previous designs.

3. The mold is cleary marked with the caliber and weight of the bullet. No more mystery numbers that don't really mean anything on the mold.

Old December 29, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Idaho Spud

They definitely look improved with the pins. Last 2 cav I got was 4 or 5 years ago, the old style. Never really had much problem, though. Bought first Lee mold in 1981. Have more Lee's than any other. Been getting the 6 cavs recently. They ARE an improvement.

edit: don't see vent lines in the blocks.

Last edited by Idaho Spud; December 29, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Just got done casting 200 bullets with this thing

It works pretty good although for now it is a little finnicky.

Seems to want to cool down pretty quickly.

The revised design on the locating pins works pretty well.

In my opinion, I have yet to decide that they are perfect, but they are an improvement over the previous design.

I wouldn't replace my existing molds just to move to the new ones.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Idaho Spud

There's a lot of bearing surface above the grease groove. Let us know how they shoot. I've been using the 358-125 designed for 38/357 sized to 357 in my 9's. Work great in both but need to be seated deep for my M659 Smith.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5
mwells72774

I got a set of lee molds a few months ago and they didnt look anything like that... are those ranch dog molds?
Old December 29, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

MWELLS

They are the standard Lee issue. A replacement for the former design. According to the Lee folks, they figure it'll take about a year for all of the old stock to work its way out of the system. I bought a 45-70 mold about two weeks ago and it was of the old design.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Idaho Spud

Guess the answer to the original post is "yes". The 6 cavs were made this way from the beginning, just took 'em awhile to see the advantage, I guess. Or maybe took that long to run outta the parts for the old design. Put a set-screw in for the sprue plate pivot and they'd be near perfect. Then maybe "Lee-menting" would be a thing of the past.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

I've used a number fo the old style Lee molds over the years and they alwas worked fine. All of 'em that I have are round ball. This looks like a few good improvements with the locating pins instead of the rods. Once I start running balls with mine and they get heated up, I can get a good rhythm going.

I'm anxious to hear from Doc on how he likes this mold after he uses it for a while. I usually "pre heat" mine before molding. I've been looking at some multiple cavity ones for 38 spl. slugs. I've never used a "gang mold" for molding multiples - any "unique" tricks to them?

Doc - did they raise the prices with the improvements that they made? Of course everything i going up but I was wondering if they pumped the price on the new design ones?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #9
TomADC

That looks good, I may have to try Lee molds again.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Same here. I'm working on a CVA Squirrel gun (older sidelock) and have to buy a mould for it.
Old December 29, 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
jmortimer

Threads like this reinforce the wisdom of spending time over at Cast Boolits. The new two cavity Lee Precision molds are a definite improvement.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:26 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

I have the .458 405 grain Hollow Base nose pour mold. It is by far the best Lee mold I have ever used. It is single cavity. No pins. It lines up every time no problem. I do have to keep it lubed. A pipe cleaner with synthetic motor oil works well for that.

I would love to have one like this that is a hollow point mold.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:49 PM   #13
snuffy

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506751

Ummmmm, beat ya to it! Being first to report the new lee design I mean.

I think it's a move in the right direction, the improved locating pins and the smaller blocks. I would imagine the bigger boolits would need deeper,(thicker), blocks.

Mine was/is a .440 round ball, it works very well!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 29, 2012, 07:49 PM   #14
jmortimer

well then get one
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
Old December 30, 2012, 06:48 AM   #15
Doc Hoy

Two responses. Bedbug and Snuffy

Snuffy,

"Beat ya to it."

Ya sure did. I should have known better.

Bedbug,

It lists on the Titan Reloading site for the same price. It was less thatn 25.00 delivered using priority shipping and it took three days from the time I hit the "Submit Order" button until the post person put the package on my doorstep.

I simply can't say enough good stuff about Titan Reloading. Good prices, good service. Good product.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:05 AM   #16
res45

My newest Lee mold was still the old style just like my other 13 Lee molds but it still cast great bullets. I wounder if there shotgun slug molds are or will have the new features,I'll be casting slugs after the first of the year.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Doc Hoy

Res....

If you need to buy a mold, and are interested in the new design, you might try calling a vendor to see whch version they have in stock.

You can always go directly to Lee but they will charge top dollar. I think it works out to be about 25.00 plus shipping.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:35 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
Three things are apparent which I like.
Oh, that's different. Looks good.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #19
res45

Thanks Doc,I started buying most of my Lee stuff from https://fsreloading.com/ you can ask a question about any product they carry.

Really doesn't matter if it's the new design or not,I've not had any problems with the old designs yet.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:01 PM   #20
Doc Hoy

100% agree

I have used Lee molds for as long as I have been shooting and in comparison to Lyman Molds, they stand up, especially for about one third the price.

I am not a purist and I can certainly understand and respect diverging viewpoints.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:29 PM   #21
TomADC

There is a member on castbollits azshtr that sells Lee products he has great prices and ships fast.

Last edited by TomADC; December 30, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:46 AM   #22
458winshooter

Just got a new Lee

I just got a new Lee 310 gr for my 44 mags in a 2 holer from Midsouth Shooters supply the week before Christmas and it is the old style.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Doc Hoy

Yes..Agree

I read a comment from the Lee folks and they say it will take about a year before implementation of the revised design is complete.

The implication was that the delay is the time required for all of the old stock to work its way out of the vendor system.

There was no indication as to whether or not all molds are now being manufactured in the new configuration.

I bought a .45-70 mold single cavity a coupla weeks ago and it is the old style. Then I turned around and bought the 9 MM last week and it is the new style. It makes sense given the popularity of the two different cartridges that the system would be slow in purging 45-70 but already stocking the more popular 9 MM in the new style.

I can also state that the process for manufacturing the 9 MM produced a mold that was less than perfect. It has some scuff marks on it that are not typical of the quality of Lee in the past. I may have received a fluke. The mold is very usable and the blemishes in no way impact the performance of the mold.

The good news is that the old style molds work fine and so there (In my opinion) is no reason to rush out and replace all of my old style molds with new ones.
Old December 31, 2012, 04:30 PM   #24
m&p45acp10+1

Doc the singe cavity 45-70 mold I have it would make no difference at all it is a nose pour hollow base. It works great. It does heat up quickly though. I space about 10 seconds between pours, I can drop about 20 before I have to give the mold about 5 minutes to cool off. I do not do the wet sponge cool off. 5 minutes of time gives me a bit to stand and move around anyway.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:54 AM   #25
Doc Hoy

M&P.....

I think I have the same 45-70 mold as you and I do like it.

I stay away from the wet sponge too.

I also wait a bit longer between castings. (Maybe not much longer) In the cool down time, I am examining the finished bullets for flaws.