The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 13, 2011, 11:55 AM   #1
ZVP

Shooting events?

Do they ever run both SASS,CAS events and NCOWS events together so one could participate in both orginizations shooting matches?
I noticed that in the Dixie Catalog, some revolvers are certified for both orginizations.
Does each event takeup so much time that this is impratical?
Say if you shoot Frontiersman in SASS and then could maybe use one revolver in the NCOWS?
I know these are different clubs but I just wondered if the events ever intertwine? It would make for a confusing but cool event! I could envision some intresting sidematches.
ZVP
Old May 13, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Hawg

SASS holds CAS events. NCOWS holds CAS events. I doubt you'll ever see SASS and NCOWS together. NCOWS clubs are few and far between.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
ZVP

Thanks for the reply Hawg.
I know the two assosiations have some rules that differ and combining the groups would likely be confusing!
There are many similaritys between the two.
After I wrote the post, I did a little reserch into NCOWS and found the group really intresting but due to the fact that there are more CAS groups around, there must be something that draws folks into the group!
I have been to several of my Club's CAS shooting events and found them very enjoyable to watch. I bet participation is even more fun! I especally like the wardrobes! There is so much that you can do (even carry old money!).
I guess I better save-up and gear-up so's I can play too!
ZVP
Old May 14, 2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Noz

The major differences between the groups center around authenticity.
NCOWS are much more strict about costuming and usable firearms than SASS. NCOWS actually allow more variety of firearms than SASS but disallow some of the more popular SASS guns.