The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2010, 10:05 AM   #1
shooter_shooter

Bypassing .22 for 9mm?

I wrote here the other day about looking for a light semi-auto .22 for my wife and I but my thinking might have changed and I wanted to get some opinions. Realistically I don't see myself starting to collect guns but rather find one good one we can enjoy for the long term. I have a slight worry that we might outgrow the .22 and want something more challenging/exciting. Are there any real drawbacks to just going with the 9mm? I know it's more complicated than the S&W 617 revolver we have now but we're smart and teachable. That being said, can you all recommend a 1st 9mm that is light, fun, reliable, accurate and easy to operate?

Thanks!
Old April 8, 2010, 10:27 AM   #2
greyson97

Quote:
Realistically I don't see myself starting to collect guns but rather find one good one we can enjoy for the long term.
that makes me lol.

and actually, in regards to one is enough in .22lr and 9mm

in 9mm, i have: a snubbie 9mm revolver, 2 sub compact 9mm pistols, 1 full sized 9mm, a glock 22 (.40) that i converted to a 9mm, and a cx4, which is a 9mm carbine. I recently got 3 33 round glock 9mm mags, and theres a few other carbines out there that take those mags

but .22lr is the worst. I have a browning buckmark (pistol), a taurus tracker (revolver), a cz 452(bolt action rifle), a marlin 39a (lever action), a gsg47 (semi auto rifle), i plan on getting a .22lr ar-15 and tricking it out. plus i saw a beretta 87 and it looks so pretty

so, do yourself a favor, and get a .357 or a 10mm.

with the 10mm you will probabbly only own one full sized pistol

with the .357 you can own, one full sized revolver, a snub nose revolver, and maybe a lever action rifle chambered for it, and maybe a desert eagle

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old April 8, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
greyson97

as for a 9mm recommendation i will throw in

Beretta PX4 in 9mm
Pros:
Medium Priced
Light recoil
Adjustable backstraps to accomodate hand size
easy to field strip
good looking
good DA/SA trigger
hammer
safety/decocker
reliable

Cons:
despite having a 4" barrel, the sight radius is shorter than a glock with a 4" barrel, by almost an inch
sight picture for me has been cover up, and not lollipop

I own this gun, and i am very happy with it. It has never failed me in any way and i have put more than 1500 rounds through it, with all sorts of ammo, even steel cased

Old April 8, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
shooter_shooter

I'm sensing some sarcasm here. Now that that's out of your system, how about a real recommendation?
Old April 8, 2010, 10:34 AM   #5
shooter_shooter

Thanks, you were too fast...
Old April 8, 2010, 10:36 AM   #6
greyson97

no seriously, once you get a particular caliber, you start to find different guns that use the same caliber that way you dont have to stock multiple types of ammo, but still get to shoot different styles of guns.

like, shooting a .22 bolt and a .22 lever are both fun in completely different ways, and because of the common caliber, its cheaper/more economical

Old April 8, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7
shooter_shooter

I'd also like to find a gun I don't have to wait a year to get, unlike some of the Browning Buck Marks...
Old April 8, 2010, 10:40 AM   #8
shooter_shooter

Greyson- Can you explain this to me- "sight picture for me has been cover up, and not lollipop"
Old April 8, 2010, 10:40 AM   #9
cwok

Fun and Light and 9mm may be one tooo many

A 9mm is going to be quite a bit more powerful than the .22 you have been using.

I can't do the math on recoil of 9mm versus 22 (others can), but if you shop for a light 9mm you will be find yourself ooking short barrel (4 inch probably) pistols that may weigh as little as 20 ounces.
Thats not an uncontrollable package -- but it is quite a bit more noise/recoil than the .22

If you drop the light part, and go for weapon weighing more like 30-35 ounces, possibly with a five-inch barrel, you'll probably find it much easier to control (longer sight radius) and better sights, and probably more of a fun gun.
Most of the small/light guns in centerfire calibers are built that way because the manufacturer assumes the user will be:
a - using it for concealed carry
b - wearing in a holster on duty

The only other issue is $$$ for ammo, over anything but the short term, you'd save money by keeping that 22 and using it for practice.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:40 AM   #10
greyson97

what state do you live in?

Academy Centerfire Pistols

Bud's 9mm Pistols

With buds, you have to add 3% if you use credit card, and factor in a ffl trasnfer fee. shipping is free. their turn around time is 1 week.

Even with the +3% and the FFL transfer (i pay $25), i find it cheaper than a local gun store + sales tax.

this only works if you dont live in kentucky

Old April 8, 2010, 10:42 AM   #11
greyson97

Quote:
Greyson- Can you explain this to me- "sight picture for me has been cover up, and not lollipop"
usually a pistols sight picture looks like this

(O)
ooo

where O is the bullseye, and the ooo represents a 3 dot sight picture

with the px4, at 7 yards, the middle o in ooo has to cover up the 0 bullseye inorder for you to hit there

Old April 8, 2010, 10:43 AM   #12
shooter_shooter

Thanks cwok, good points.

Greyson- I live in NJ
Old April 8, 2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Enoy21

If this is for your wife , let me give you a very valid concern before making the purchase.

I went with my GF to get her new (EDIT: It's a P250) in 9mm. I tried and tried to talk her into shooting the gun before purchasing it. She was going off the recommendation from her former boss who is a competitive 1911 .45 Shooter.

She trusted his recommendation ..... and now Hates shooting her gun. She had always shot .22's in the past, and was not prepared for or comfortable with the bigger sound and recoil of the 9mm. ( Also I think that long heavy DOA trigger sucks- even I can't shoot it for **** )

So my suggestion before making the step up. Go to a local range that allows you to rent guns. Rent a few in different sizes..... See which one she feels the most comfortable with.

An uncomfortable gun that scares her will be either a dead gun sitting in a drawer or a dangerous tool because she won't be comfortable enough to shoot it.

I may also suggest and in-between size such as the Bersa Thunder .380

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

It's cheap, comfortable for smaller hands, aesthetically pleasing and a very popular and a solid built gun. I plan to get one for my Fiance' when I can afford it. I even want one for myself !!!

Last edited by Enoy21; April 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:48 AM   #14
greyson97

actually if you dont want someone to be afraid of 9mm bang and recoil, have them shoot a .44 mag in a shortish barrel. even .357 and .40 get this effect

when ever you go from a big monster caliber to a smaller caliber, it seems so much more enjoyable

I was at the range once, and some girl was shooting her grandfathers Colt 1911, and she fired 5 rounds, and i only saw one hit very low on a rather large target. she was terrified of it, and her hands shook every time she tried to pull the trigger. (i later got to shoot the gun. it was really nice and smooth with a good light trigger), So I walked up to her and offered her my browning buckmark and a handful of .22lr

when she shot it, the look on her face was a mixture of joy and amazement. and she was able to hit inside the 8" ring

Old April 8, 2010, 10:53 AM   #15
shooter_shooter

I don't think it's really a fear factor regarding the recoil/noise for her. Honestly it's just about getting tired too fast holding the thing.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:55 AM   #16
Enoy21

In that case .... then by all means.... Move up to something that can be a great SD gun as well ( 9mm or higher ).

I still recommend the rental for different weights and calibers to determine what you two will like the best.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:05 AM   #17
Sarge

I've qualified new officers, many of them women, and many who never handled a handgun before entering an academy. Frankly I think the 9mm is ideal for this category of shooter, particularly in a Beretta 92 or Centurion. I find guns in this class to be as easy to shoot as a .22, until you get into the +p loadings, and even those aren't bad.

You can learn on anything and so can your wife. Make a decision based on your needs/wants and get busy. Whatever you choose, make sure both of you can adapt to the grip and reach the trigger OK before you plunk down your money.

Some competent, entry-level training will speed things along for you both. Be careful and have fun.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:08 AM   #18
towelie

Start with a walther p-22 and then get its larger replica the p99. Everyone needs a 22.
Old April 8, 2010, 05:38 PM   #19
JimK66

22lr....then????

Shooter Shooter, I don't believe you can ever get tired of that little 22lr. The S&W 617 is a great, fun little 22 revolver. However, that being said, the right 9mm semiauto can be just as much fun for you and your wife and serve as an excellent PD/HD weapon. I would suggest considering either a Sig P6 or a Sig P229. They are DA/SA wigh Decocker (making them very safe for new shooters), of medium size and weight, very reliable, accurate and fun soft shooting pistols. The P6 German police turnins can be found for between $350-500 and are usually in fantastic condition.
I just ask my wife (5', 105 lb.) very conscious of recoil for her thoughts on this topic. After she read your post she said "your wife would probably also like shooting the S&W Chiefs Spicial CS9". She's right but those little sweeties are hard to find. Yet, if you could find one you guy's would fall in love with it.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Old April 8, 2010, 05:47 PM   #20
PointOneSeven

If I were to buy an all around 9mm pistol as my only gun, I think Glock is the way to go.

There are plenty of guns out there for specific purposes, but glocks are great all around workhorses.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
Barbicatter

If you going to limit yourself to one pistol. I would consider a CZ 75, very reliable, accurate, small ergonomic grips, low recoil and manual safety. My husband and I both have one, because I won't share. I don't care for polymer pistols most of them feel blocky and big to me. Both of you should shop together that way you can fill both your needs.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:32 PM   #22
chris in va

I recommend getting a pistol that accepts different caliber changes. For example, you can get the Sig 226/228 in 40 and later get the 9mm or 357 SIG barrels. Ditto for the EAA Witness line, just change the slide and mag.

BTW don't assume your significant other will like the 22 or 9mm. My friend absolutely adores my Sig 220 45ACP. She recently told me "I will no longer get on your case for buying primers and powder. Keep making my 45's."

I have the added advantage of up or downloading my rounds. Mild recoil for the range, or higher power factor for other activities.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:45 PM   #23
cougar gt-e

Some (.45 acp gunners) will say that a .22 and a 9mm are about the same for self defense...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Many good guns in 9mm. XD and XDm are very popular and reliable. I think the m hold 19 in the mag. More than enough.

jb
Old April 8, 2010, 11:41 PM   #24
pilpens

Shooter,
My GF now gets bored shooting .22LR ( she has a Buckmark Bullseye). If we could afford the ammo. MY GF will probably only shoot my 1911 9mm or .45
Old April 9, 2010, 09:00 AM   #25
shooter_shooter

I'm copying this reply from another forum just to see what you all think:

"Buy a gun that's simple to operate. This would exclude the DA/SA guns, especially any that require a decocking action.[/B] (which is most of them)

Also avoid a Single Action only that requires engaging/disengaging a safety prior to and immediately following firing. This would include the Browning HP and the 1911's.

I would suggest the Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm. Possibly the five inch "Pro" version, but it's not necessary. Still, you might find the balance better than the 4".

Or the Springfield XD 4" or again, the 5" version if your wife can handle it and likes the balance. Or, split the difference and get the XD-m with a 4.5" barrel. A new, shorter version, the 3.8 has just come out and has a great balance.

The M&P and the XD-m both have interchangeable backstraps, so you have the option of fitting it for your wife or to you, depending who's shooting it. The M&P allows you to do this at the range, the XD-m requires a pin-punch and hammer.

The Glock 17, Gen 4 is another option. I don't care for their interchangeable backstrap solution, but it's better than it used to be. It requires a punch to change them out, but you can do this at the range, since a hammer is not needed."