The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
zcar75

Conversion cylinder ammo

Hi all, I just bought a R&D conversion clyinder 45 long colt for my 1858 Remmi, I find that all the retailers are on back order for this ammo. What other loads will this cylinder tolerate besides cowboy; can I use factor smokless loads, if so what kind? Hey, thanks for your help. Safety is a big concern for me.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:39 AM   #2
ClemBert

This is exactly the reason why I started reloading. Even if you were willing to pay $1 per cartridge you still couldn't find 45 Colt on the shelves. Now I reload my own BP cartridges for less than $0.25 per round and I have it whenever I want it. My smokeless rounds are less than $0.20 each. My conversion cylinder has never seen factory ammo.

Sorry, I don't have the answer for you but just food for thought on possible future alternatives for ya.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
noelf2

The only factory smokeless loads you can use are "cowboy action" smokeless loads. R&D even norrows that down to only a few brands. I took up reloading a few years ago for cost savings, but have now expanded way beyond just 45LC. I reload 45LC cowboy ammo with BP and smokeless.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

I would contact the manufacturer of the conversion cylinder you are using and adhere strictly to their advise.

There are consequences that are undesirable.

Old March 16, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5
zcar75

thanks....the photo says it all....I think I will stick with cowboy loads.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:43 PM   #6
herb

WOW!!! Bet that cylinder was fed 45LC+ (high pressure loads). Very similar to 44 mag performance. Makes you believe in instructions!