The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
mberman09

What to shoot?

So I got my gun, and I love it! AA O/U 12 GA. I'm trying to decide what to shoot while I'm at the trap field and out in South Dakota. Estate has a Heavy Game Load that I think might be good for both the trap field and in the real field in South Dakota.

Now Fiochhi has some nice looking pheasant loads that have gotten great reviews but its really expensive! So I was thinking about shooting this when I hunt in South Dakota, but would I be just as well to shoot Estate Heavy Load all the time?
Old October 17, 2009, 11:08 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For me, I am a cheap butt so I go for them cheap promo "bricks" for +/- $20 for a hundred... Junior paid 7 bucks for a box of those Estate loads when he bought the 870 super mag.
Brent
Old October 17, 2009, 11:15 PM   #3
mberman09

Thats great that you shoot cheap loads, but that still doesn't anwer my question. Estate Heavy Loads what you guys think about those, I know Fiochhi pheasant loads are great, but they are too expensive to shoot all the time.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:25 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

All I know about them "Heavy Loads" is when you miss... you still miss... Junior thought the extra shot was gonna be a "humdinger ringer" to beat the ol' man but I generally do as well or better hitting my target with the promo loads and I can reach on out with my "long range" remington loads that cost a buck or more less...
So in a nutshell, If you wish to run them, they are a decent round. If you need a handicap hitting the dirt doves... I would practice more.
YMMV and this is just the opinion of a cheap redneck...
Brent
Old October 17, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5
mberman09

So you saying you've had luck with just a basic shell? Anyone want to comment on my original question? Estate Heavy Load Vs. Fiochhi Pheasant loads.....
Old October 17, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have great luck with cheap ammo... Never bought "premium" ammo except the winchester silver tips bought for a CC 9mm pistol.

I routinely out do Junior and his guns. I am not real good but am very familiar with my 20 gauge 18 inch cyl bore Mossberg 500.

I also await the replies from the regular dust dove killers.
Brent
Old October 18, 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Waterengineer

WInchester is everywhere

I load but when I have to buy I get: Winchester AA for the target and Winchester Super X pheasant loads because they perform fairly similarly and are available everywhere.

I have shot and really like Fiocchi but refuse to buy. I have never found a deal on them. I also doubt you can find them in the towns of SD, like Aberdeen, Belle Fouche or Mitchell.

Consistancy is the name of the game and taking away variables is a good idea. Thus, settling in on a shell (or two) is a great idea for consistancy.

Where are you hunting p-birds in SD? Have you been before?

If I am hunting the corn or milo in eastern SD the bird will hold and my gun is a 16 ga.

If I am hunting the ranch creek bottoms or if it late when the birds have been pressured for a while (i.e., they bust farther out) then I drag out the 12 ga.

Good dogs are not required to be very successful in SD - there are just so many birds. But the reason I hunt, is largely, to watch the dogs work.

I just don't want to drag around the 12 ga unless I have to.

Tell us what you do and report in after the SD experience.

Last edited by Waterengineer; October 18, 2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: additional info
Old October 18, 2009, 11:21 AM   #8
oneounceload

One thing to consider with the heavy loads at your club is whether they're legal. Many clubs have some form of restriction on shot size and power levels. I wouldn't want to shoot lots of trap targets with a heavy field load.

The Fiocchi golden pheasant loads AREN'T cheap, but in reality, how many shots are you planning on taking? Those are plated shot with buffering, pattern great in every gun I have seen shoot them, and those 6 and 5's knock the birds down quickly
Old October 18, 2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Jeremiah/Az

You do not need heavy loads for trap. When I began, all the oldtimers said that you have to use 1 1/8 oz. at 1250 fps. I noticed that most of them shot release triggers because of flinching. No wonder! I went to 1 oz. at 1150 fps. & broke just as many birds as the heavy loads. Try to find some shells in 1 oz. that are 2 3/4 dram loads.
Old October 18, 2009, 06:17 PM   #10
.45 COLT

Those Estate "Heavy" loads aren't particularly heavy. I have a few boxes, they're 3 1/4 - 1 1/8 - X. If I had only the choice between them and the Fiocchi, I'd pick up Estates in #6 shot. (I don't know right off if they make them with #5 shot - if they do, I'd get some of them too). That should do you for most pheasant hunting, although I prefer a 1 1/4 ounce load of shot for that chore. I would also recommend that you don't get any in #4 shot. Pellet count is just a little too low with 1 1/8 ounces of shot.

Fiocchi makes a good product, but it is a little steep in price. Their 1 3/8 ounce pheasant load is a real killer but the MV is considerably higher than necessary. A busy day in the field, it'll beat the snot out of you.

Neither is suitable for trap. If your dealer sells a line of Estates, get a 3 - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 load. Thje 3 1/4 load is too high a MV.

Them's my opinions and I'm standing by them.

DC
Old October 18, 2009, 07:39 PM   #11
oneounceload

When I was able to hunt wild pheasant, the MOST I could do was 4/day, 8 in possession. That amounts to maybe a half box of shells. Even at the price for the Fiocchis, their quality is VERY good and won't break the bank for 2 boxes or so
Old October 18, 2009, 08:14 PM   #12
rsxr22

i too buy the walmart 100 round packs. They have always worked great for me and im shooting consistent scores that im happy with
Old October 18, 2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Hank15

My friends and I buy boxes and boxes of the Walmart 100 round bulks (Federal and Winchester) and have a day at the range.We do pretty well using those shells with 3~4 different shotguns (depending on what we bring).

I occasionally use Fiocchis (a variety of them) and I get the same results.

I've not shot the Estates, so I can't comment on those.
Old October 19, 2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Scorch

I haven't shot the Estate loads, I usually buy good ammo for my shotguns. Fiocchi is good ammo if you can buy it on sale, but I would never pass up Federal GameShok or Winchester XX shells to buy Fiocchi at a higher price.
Old October 19, 2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Russ5924

For years all I ever shot was my Trap loads the only thing I changed was the shot went from 8 to 6 for pheasant. Never had a problem with wounded birds or cripples but then that is what the dog was for. And he used to bring be back more birds than I shot