The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Spring loaded bullet mold handles

Fellas,

I couple days ago I spoke about a spring loaded handle set up I made for my Lyman molds.

I tried to describe them but then decided to put some photos on the board.

I had to go away for a bit but now I am back and here are the photos.

Tnx,

Doc

http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P5120268.jpg

http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P5120267.jpg
Old May 12, 2009, 09:18 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

That looks good Doc, you should have a very consistent closed pressure on your mold.
Old May 12, 2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Dingoboyx

Very good Doc

Like the clothes peg from hell

I find helpful to have a small brass/bronze brush (a bit bigger than a toothbrush) and after about every 10 openings of the mold, I brush the mating surfaces, so no crud is in there to hold them apart....

Well done tho..... where did you get the springs? out of something else? or did you just buy the spring as a part on its own?
Old May 12, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Raider2000

Very interesting idea, I like it although for some reason I was thinking of the opesite idea of having it spring open..
Old May 12, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

Defeats the purpose, Raider

The idea is to have uniform clamping pressure (squeeze) rather than tired hands having to fight the spring pressure as well

The good Doc has thunk it out well, IMO
Old May 12, 2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Covering several responses....

To DBX and Raider,

Think DBX has this one. My initial concern was inconsistent pressure holding the mold closed. The spring makes it consistent in its present configuration.

Tnx,

To DBX,

The spring came from a clamp that you can get anywhere...Well anywhere like Home Creepo, Lowes, and such. I just drilled out the rivets and then crawled around on the floor until I found the spring which vaulted across the shop when the clamp let go. (Boooing). I like to buy stuff like this at Harbor Freight because if it doesn't have to be of real high quality you can save a couple bucks at HF. I think I gave 99 cents or 1.99 for the clamps. I have about a dozen of then (well...eleven now) because you simply can not have too many clamps.

Also...Good idea on the brass brush. They have those at H.F. too.

Tnx,

To MCB,

I believe that I am....I included the results of casting with the Ideal mold and these handles in the previous post. I got better consistency from that set up than I measured in Hornady store bought bullets. I have found that weight is not a useful comparison for me. I don't have a scale that is precise enough to pick up the minute variations in weight between bullets that are only one thousandths different in diameter (at least not at .454 and there abouts) They consistently come in at about 137 regardless of whether they are .454 or .455. The .451 balls weigh about 133 even though the diameter is plus or minus five ten thouandths. I started weighing them three times to get a good average. Doesn't matter. The average of three times 137 is still 137.

Tnx,