The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2008, 06:47 PM   #1
silversmoke

Shooting with both eyes open

I have mono vision, my right eye for distance and left eye for reading
I have ben using my right eye( left eye closed) for shooting, but I realize that my sight picture( front sight and rear sight) is in focus with my left eye
Do I just swap which eye I keep open?, really want to shot with both eyes open!! I also notied when shooting IDPA if I bring my gun to the left of my center it make it easier to use my left eye. It is only practice I need more of?
Old April 14, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
shop20

dominant eyes

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. If I switch to the right eye, I don't see the gun or sights, but the target looks fine! I asked my instructor about this, and he didn't see anything wrong with using the left eye for sighting if it would enable me to shoot with both eyes open. I remember a handgun magazine calling this the "quell" stance, but I don't know if that was some cute name that quickly died out?
Old April 16, 2008, 06:46 PM   #3
redhart

eyes

one of the best shooters in a 22 bullseye league i was part of shot right hand left eye. I am really working on the 2 eyes open, but old habits are ...
Old April 16, 2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Lurper

The more important question is which is you dominant eye?
Many people are right handed with right eye dominance but still see double sight pictures. Others are cross-dominant. If you are cross-dominant, you can turn your head so that your dominant eye lines up with the gun.
Another thing you can do is train yourself to shoot with both eyes open by applying a piece of tape to the lens of your non-shooting side eye. This will eliminate the double sight picture and for some, it will retrain your mind.
You can see the placement of the tape in this video, but transparent tape works best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUtqZ-xjVo4
Old April 16, 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
flyby

I am Cross-dominant(RH/L-eye) ..I Turn my head more towards the right to compensate and bring my dominant eye in better line w/the gun..try it ..Many instructors will tell you to do the same.

^Oops(above post) he said the same..beat me by seconds