The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2008, 05:07 PM   #1
mniesen89

Did I screw up my .223 cartridges?

So I went to my local bass pro shop and bought what I thought were CCI small rifle primers. I reloaded my .223 cartridges and soon realized that the "&%#@&" behind the counter gave me 1000 CCI Small MAGNUM rifle primers.

I only reloaded about 50 rounds before I noticed....so what do I do?Are they okay to shoot?Do I need to whip out the puller?
Old March 10, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
armoredman

If you load is not max, or just under max, you should be OK. The companies have been dropped max loads under liability fears for years, anyway. if you're truely worried, then get an inertial bullet puller, (you need one as a reloader), and pull your bullets, and start over. Won't hurt 'em.
Have fun!
Old March 10, 2008, 05:36 PM   #3
mniesen89

yeah I'm at the starting load, 23 grains of IMR 4064.I didnt think there was anything really to worry about,just like opinions though!I'm very familiar with using my bullet puller though.thanks for the input!
Old March 10, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Tim R

If you are at the starting load with the mag primers I would shoot them. Pulling 50 rounds is going to be a pain in the rump.
Old March 10, 2008, 06:10 PM   #5
WCW

Swapping to a different primer can sometimes produce a great load combination with a specific powder, so since you have 1000 to play with, you might as well try and see what sort of a load you can develop. I’ve personally had some surprisingly sweet results from swapping out a standard to a magnum primer in .223 when using a load of WW748 that I had to load down slightly as my measure would overfill the case when throwing charges. I got a little more velocity, and a tic upward in accuracy.
Old March 11, 2008, 03:31 AM   #6
moose fat

A "Rule of Thumb" that I have heard here and other places is if using Mag Primmers when Small rifle primmers are called for is to start 15% bellow starting loads and work up.

Be safe

I'll be doing that too. Got mag primmers instead of small rifle.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.