The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1
AngloSaxon

Moulds?

Hello,
I have been reloading for few years now and want to take my hobby to the next step with casting, I think I got all the components (electric pot, handles, flux, lube abd size kit, mold release, and some other misc stuff) now all I need is the mold, I have the RCBS handles and I really like their mold #82047. It seems the only place that has it is Midway and they are out till the 3/20.

Where do you get your RCBS moulds?

Thanks
Old March 10, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2
freakshow10mm

Try Grafs, Midsouthshooters, etc.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
WSM MAGNUM

You got the lead?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old March 10, 2008, 11:04 PM   #4
freakshow10mm

I have a dealer account with Graf's. Let me know what molds your are looking at and I can quote you a price. I might be cheaper.
Old March 10, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Crosshair

Quote:
You got the lead?
I was about to say the same. Most of my casting equipment is still on order, however I have stockpiled and smelted a reasonable quantity of lead so I am set to go. When the rest of the equipment gets here.
Old March 11, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
AngloSaxon

Thanks for replys and offers to help, but being impatient I went ahead and placed an order with Graf, ($67 shipped)

I work at an indoor range, so I can get the lead for free just need to separate the copper out.

Are there any negatives with using lead from range traps?
Old March 11, 2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Gbro

I didn't see a respirator on your list.
An old range hood piped into the chimerknee works good for a ventilator.
A bullet hardness tester is good to have. i use my thumbnail to check for pure or very close to it. as i can scrape soft lead with it.
Good Luck
Old March 12, 2008, 11:03 AM   #8
AngloSaxon

I got one of those cheap respirators, but I am also doing it outside and here in Charlotte its always kind of windy. Do I need to invest in special kind of respirator?

One more question: Do you guys water treat your bullets to make them harder? Does it make make any difference?

Thanks
Old March 12, 2008, 04:58 PM   #9
WSM MAGNUM

Quote:
Are there any negatives with using lead from range traps?
Yes. Got this from another website.
Salvaged range lead can be quite the mix unless you’re familiar with the range and know that a specific type of shooting is mostly done. .22 lead is mostly lead, virtually no antimony, and usually about 1-2% tin. Jacketed bullet alloy composition ranges anywhere from pure lead to 5% Sb. As a very general statement, many handgun jacketed bullets have pure lead cores (almost all Noslers, almost all FMJs, and most std. velocity jacketed handgun bullets). Some have hardened cores (e.g. the Sierra 300 grain .44 Mag bullets is 5% Sb). If the range has centerfire rifle bullets, then they are commonly 3% or 5% Sb. So the bottom line is that jacketed bullets can contribute almost any hardness to bullet metal. I have read reports of shotgun slugs being from near pure lead to approximately 2-3% antimony. As with the sail boat ballast, check to see how well it casts and check its BHN, checking the weight against bullets from the same.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old March 12, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10
Shoney

There is nothing wrong with the lead in bullet traps that cannot be fixed by adding more tin.

The trouble with collecting the lead is the super fine dust you will run into mining it. Be sure to wear a lead approved respirator and change out your closthing carefully before leaving the range, you don't want to spread it to your auto and/or home.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 13, 2008, 02:25 AM   #11
Gbro

The Niosh N-95 is probably a minimum standard and easy to get and comfortable.
This is a good one, and none of them work if you have facial hair. I have tried to pass fit tests(mandatory) with even a short goatee, and it just doesn't work.
http://store.pksafety.net/pasp60.html

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Lead-9927204

http://www.cpwr.com/hazpdfs/kflead.pdf

As for the out doors use, Man thats risky,
Any water can cause a violent explosion from steam., Then if you were to go in to get/do something, well its better to have in say a garage, shed, basement w/hood fan.