The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 10, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1
The Immortal

Carry at Home

Who, why and what do you carry at home / house?
Old June 10, 2007, 01:32 AM   #2
gunmetal

I'm not sure how to answer the question of "whom do I carry," but as for the rest of the post: same as outside of the house.
Old June 10, 2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Manedwolf

I have a security system. If that goes off, or if cats, the secondary security system, go alert, (they go visibly alert if someone even comes close to check the electric meter or something) I have something close at hand. At night, likewise.

But carrying in the house? I'd think that's like older people who keep their watch on and wear dress shoes in the house till they go to bed. I couldn't do that. That's a bit over the top, IMO.

Need to relax sometime, or you're shortening your life.

(plus if you have a girlfriend who stays over a lot, well...)
Old June 10, 2007, 11:07 AM   #4
yayarx7

Pants go on, gun goes on.

Why have a gun if you do not have it at hand. You could alternatively hide weapons all around your house so you are never more than a step or two away from one. But I keep mine in the safe.
Old June 10, 2007, 11:17 AM   #5
nass

I'm in the pants on, gun's on category. The only time that's not true is going to work (strictly banned).

Reason... Never know where I'll be on the property if something comes up....like the invading chipmunks!
Old June 10, 2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Don Lu

If i'm very comfortable (shorts or sweats). I keep my .357 snub in my pocket. If I have company and I'm wearing jeans or slacks The gock is IWB. I carry at home b/c you never know....
Old June 10, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7
revjen45

Whom I carry is Mr. Steyr. I'm not in the pants on,gun on category, though. I carry in the pocket of my bathrobe too, with 2 extra mags in the other pocket. When I retire Mr. Steyr goes on the nightstand where I can reach him without taking my head off of the pillow. Am I paranoid? You bet. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you. I am not involved in any illegal activities, but if the police can get the wrong address so can criminals, who are a lot less intelligent. We live in the middle of town in an area frequented by denizens of the rescue mission and the bus station. Besides, I LOVE guns and like having at least one on my person whenever possible. You might say Mr, Steyr is my 9mm Teddy bear. (Ref. Psalm 1911: " And yea, though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for I go cocked and locked. My Hydra-Shoks and my Black Talons they comfort me.") I can't pack at work, so the best I can do there is a S&W tacticool folder that I can shave with. Besides you never know when you might be charged by a rabid squirrel.
Old June 10, 2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Digital Falcon

Taurus PT140 on the desk when I am home, Bersa Thunder 380 in the desk drawer in case I forget to bring the Taurus out of the bedroom with me in the morning. I carry most of the time. I am not quite up to bathrobe carry though.
Old June 10, 2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Manedwolf

The thing is, you are FAR more likely to need it at work than you are in your home with the windows and doors locked and lights on, security system armed and people moving around. A workplace can always have an office rampage happen. If your workplace bans it, choose to work someplace that doesn't ban it. I decided that back when a tech company in MA had a rampage that included one NH CCW holder, unable to carry there, among the casualties. It's your choice, your life.

I do carry at work, but not at home. I don't quite understand the opposite. It's sort of like being armed in the trench but leaving it behind to run across the field, to me. YMMV.
Old June 10, 2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Corik Jasra

Quote:
Who, why and what do you carry at home?
Who? Sometimes I carry my wife around the house just to show her that I am a hulking stud.

Why (do you carry at home)? Because there are some bad guys out there that specialize in home invasion... not to mention crazy people that might not follow normal logic (like my inlaws), drugged out lunatics needing cash for their next fix (like my inlaws), and general bad guys that like to wreak havoc to get their jollies (like Democrats).

What (do you carry at home)? Generally, I carry a concealed 45. I also have two 380 autos in a safe by the bed.

Finally, I have a P22 concealed beneath my toupee. It doesn't print in the least and since the toupee generally sticks to the gun when I draw, you have the surprise advantage, since no one expects to be shot by a guy holding a toupee in a modified isosceles stance. Though, it tends to lower the effect of an old standby like, 'Go ahead, make my day.'

DISCLAIMER: No democrats or bald men were harmed during the production of this post. And okay, the last paragraph is not true, but I have had a large quantity of Celestial Seasonings herb tea and cannot be held responsible.
Old June 10, 2007, 02:11 PM   #11
AK103K

I'm in the pants on, gun's on category too. I usually have my boots on all the time too.

I may take it even one level higher and say my pants, with gun attached are right next to my boots, right by the bed at night too.
Old June 10, 2007, 05:24 PM   #12
gamboolman

If I am up out of bed the G-26 is on my person. Either in Smart Carry if in shorts and t-shirt or in Tucker Cover UP IWB if in jeans or slacks.
Makes no difference if I am at home or not, inside or outside, - As my crime predicting crystal ball is not reliable !!

One note, while at home and working outside in the yard or barn. I do carry OWB with a shirt untucked. I do not open carry but I don't worry or care if it shows - as I am on my own property. OWB is more comfortable especially when I am working and sweating and doing a lot of heavy work.
Old June 10, 2007, 05:32 PM   #13
springmom

Who? Well, I used to carry my babies around, but given that they're now 34, 24, 21, and 18, I'm trying to break the habit.

What? Going out of order...either my S&W m37 or my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Same ones I carry outside.

Why? Skirt or slacks go on, gun goes on. I don't spend my life in "condition orange", I just get on with life, the gun is there, and actually, because it's there, I relax. It's back when I felt like I had no recourse in a burglary or home invasion that I was tense.

It just becomes an everyday part of your routine and you don't spend your life all knotted up when you carry. You just carry.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old June 10, 2007, 05:36 PM   #14
mlandman

The Immortal, do you have a spare tire in your car every day, or do you put in the trunk when you know you are going to get a flat tire?
Old June 10, 2007, 05:56 PM   #15
Hallucinator

Glock 23 in my back pocket.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old June 10, 2007, 06:05 PM   #16
The Real Wyatt

We don't have any children at home any more. After the last one left the nest we moved and, so far, they haven't found us.

I don't carry in the house, but wherever I am in the house, even in the bathroom, there's a gun within arms reach. Right now as I type this, I can, without moving from my chair, grab either of two guns. If I need to go answer the door, I answer it with an unholstered gun in my right hand. Most people never even notice it. Whenever I step outside the house, even if its just a trip to my reloading shed, my carry gun goes with me.

Now, in 67 years of life, I've never needed to point a gun at another human being and I fully expect to go to my grave without ever having to ... but you just don't ever know; there are some really evil people in this ol' world.
Old June 10, 2007, 06:13 PM   #17
dralarms

Ok, you guys are gonna think I'm nuts but here goes.

When I get up my Xd-40 sub goes on (or since that one is in the shop It's currently my M&P 9C)

When I "disrobe" my alarm system is armed and I only disarm when it's time to SSS for the night.

In my bathroom is a Bersa 380 with 2 extra mags (used to be a Bersa thunder 45 with no extra mags), sitting on a shelf, in addition in a hidden spot is my taurus PT140 fully loaded with an extra mag.

When I "retire" for the night I have my Para Ord. 14.45 LDA in a wall safe by the head of my bed (open, not closed) with 3 extra mags.

My theory is "if I can hold you off long enough to get to my SHTF bag (glock 22, keltec sub 2000 40 S&W, about 20 loaded mags, plr 16 with 8 loaded 30 rounders, plus what else I have with ammo close" I might have a chance of surviving a zombie attack.

No I'm not paranoid I just believe in being prepared for life's little misadventures.
Old June 10, 2007, 09:14 PM   #18
Corik Jasra

Quote:
I've never needed to point a gun at another human being and I fully expect to go to my grave without ever having to ... but you just don't ever know; there are some really evil people in this ol' world.
I could not have said it better.

Quote:
It just becomes an everyday part of your routine and you don't spend your life all knotted up when you carry. You just carry.
Agree, I forget I am carrying often. It is just part of the get ready routine.

I just have to ask those that think this is 'overkill' (*snort* no pun intended): if you are not prepared for an emergency, then what is the point of having a weapon in the house for home defense?

Quote:
When I "retire" for the night I have my Para Ord. 14.45 LDA in a wall safe by the head of my bed (open, not closed) with 3 extra mags.
Now, that's what I am talking' about. Ditto, though my Para Ord. has a lower capacity, it is in a safe at the head of my bed too. Love that weapon.

Quote:
I might have a chance of surviving a zombie attack.
Let us know any tips? I feel that this topic cannot be covered enough! Eeeeek! Look out, here they come!

Old June 10, 2007, 09:38 PM   #19
rantingredneck

Who do I carry? Well two kids most of the time

What do I carry? Typically a .45 or 9mm on my hip (As I sit here typing it is the Ruger P90 with the P345 within reach as well).

During the day/evening my carry gun goes with me everywhere. At work it stays in my truck, but otherwise it is on my person with the exeption of those times where I have to go to a "no carry" zone, then it stays in the truck. At home it is the same. I come home, take off work pants, put on home pants, put gun back on. I even sleep with a belt on. I get up in the middle of the night I just slip the nearest Fobus on with whichever gun is occupying it. I go out to the car to get something, gun goes with me. I go out in the backyard to the pool, gun goes with me. I've got a little hideaway on the pooldeck where I tuck it while I'm swimming.

At night there's a handgun on a shelf beside the bed (One of three Ruger P-series), another tucked in a holster hanging in front of the safe, another on a shelf in the safe (door open) along with all the long guns and my .32NAA.

Why? I'm not good at guessing.
Old June 10, 2007, 10:30 PM   #20
ok41

I only have one 'carry' weapon, a 642 smith. I know it well, am familiar with the procedure and always felt that having several different types of locked and loaded weapons near by might get confusing in an excited confrontation.
As to the pants on, gun on theory. When I am awakened in the night by strange noises, I usually respond with gun and surefire lite only. Most times in skivies. Neighbor backed over his trash can last month, causing me to rise with gun and lite and nothing else. When I realized there was no threat, I returned to bed smiling at the situation. An intruder would be shaken up if discovered by an armed occupant in jammies and robe. But a buck naked half scared hippie with a gun...you draw your own conclusions.
Old June 11, 2007, 12:01 AM   #21
skeeter1

On two occasions, I've looked out the window to see LEOs with guns drawn wandering carefully among the houses. The first time it turned out to be an escaped con that they later found hiding under a shed. The second time turned out to be a false alarm, but I didn't know that at the time.

In both cases, I slipped my .38 snubbie in my pants pocket, locked the doors, and stayed in the house. I don't think I was being paranoid, just being careful.
Old June 11, 2007, 12:18 AM   #22
SatanzBountyHunter

I have a loaded Colt King Cobra .357 and some extra rounds loose in a kitchen drawer for something that might happen before I could get back to my bedroom where my Para Ordnance P14 and Remington 870 Police Magnum wait patiently. My teenage daughter has an XD-40 in her room as another option.

I also have a SOG fixed blade easily accessible by where I watch T.V.

Anyone else have a knife stashed for just such an occasion?
Old June 11, 2007, 12:23 AM   #23
obxned

I would take my time fetching a firearm if a problem invaded my home. Let the dogs really get to know their new chew-toy.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 11, 2007, 12:33 AM   #24
FM12

Depends on how paranoid I am, anyway, why? What have they been saying about me THIS time? No, really, you can tell ME!
Old June 11, 2007, 01:41 AM   #25
MacGille

As I read some of the posts here I find myself wondering" what kind of world do these people live in?" I have a 12 ga loaded with #7 for the first two and 00 for the next three. It is in my bedroom closet. In my nightstand I have a 10" dagger. All of the rest including my .22 pistol and my .50 Muzzleloader are in my safe.

Why on Earth would I carry a gun in my own house? No one I know of has had a home invasion, and none have happened in my part of town. I know that BGs do exist, and that no one is exempt from being a crime victim. But, a reasonable and prudent man has nothing to fear in his own house. I will not live in a state of fear, and I will not allow fear to dictate my life.

If I am at home and need to defend myself, I'm sure I can reach the shotgun in time. If I can't, well then a kitchen knife or a 3 lb hammer will have to do. Those of you who carry at home enjoy your paranoia.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><