The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2000, 09:56 AM   #1
Allen_Raiford

Please follow link and check out my shotgun. http://www.geocities.com/commander45...l?971449166070
I am thinking about selling it to finance another project.
It is NOT a Wilson/Scattergun Tech product.
However, I did pattern it after the Scat. Tech. Border Patrol model.
It is a Remington 870 with the following accessories attached:
Side saddle shell carrier
Ghostring sights (tritium front)
Plus 2 mag extension
Synthetic stocks
Jumbo head safety
Sling attachments
Black phosphate finish

What would be a reasonable asking price?
(it is unfired)
Old October 13, 2000, 12:49 PM   #2
MountainGun44

If I were you, I would find some other way to finance your next project. Pick up cans. Work an extra day. Stand at an intersection with a sign that says: "Hell, I ain't gonna lie to ya'- I just want a new gun."

Do anything but sell that gun.

You will eventually regret selling that shotgun. It looks great, by the way.

Old October 13, 2000, 12:51 PM   #3
Lightsped

Yeah that is definately a bad ass shotgun. No doubt about it. Very mean looking and I am sure it shoots great too.
Hang on to it if possible....
Old October 13, 2000, 01:08 PM   #4
Godspeed

Help me to understand, not just why you're selling this great piece of hardware, but why you're selling it UNFIRED! I do not understand. I agree that you will probaby regret selling it so instead why don't you just give it to me and then any time you want it back I'll send it back to you. If this sounds like a good idea I'll post my PO box.#

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed
Old October 13, 2000, 01:13 PM   #5
Allen_Raiford

I would love to be able to fire the thing, but the range where I shoot won't allow it (except for patterning between the lanes). They have a bird gun mentality. A shotgun with rifle sights simply does not compute with them. Maybe I'll keep it, but if I don't, would $500 be unreasonable?
Old October 13, 2000, 03:00 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Allen, keep the thing, your great grandchildren will thank you. And, I bet a little research will find a more practical range nearby,or at least a place where you can shoot some ground targets.

I've done some good work in sand pits, quarries and so on.
Old October 13, 2000, 06:32 PM   #7
GGGLOCK

I think you should sell it, to me, for $21.95. I will even pay for shipping . In all seriousness, sooner or later you will regret selling such a beauty. One thing I've learned, is that there's always another way to finance projects. Good Luck.
Old October 13, 2000, 07:42 PM   #8
Allen_Raiford

OK...I'll keep it.

------------------
"Pathfinders Light the Way!"

[This message has been edited by Allen_Raiford (edited October 13, 2000).]
Old October 14, 2000, 03:57 AM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Allen, two points - one, when you customize a gun, you can never get the money back through sales. I suspect the best you would get (arond here) would be $350. Two, I had an 870 that ST did for me. A buddy traded me out of it as I wanted a Benelli. I sold the Benelli - and - guess what. I now have another 870. Down the road I go again....

Last point - the older I get, the less inclined I am to sell my guns.

Giz
Old October 14, 2000, 05:50 AM   #10
Allen_Raiford

So... I pay about $350 for a shotgun...put $300 worth of improvements on it...and the best can expect is $350?
To buy the very same gun from ST would run about $800.
That sucks.
Old October 14, 2000, 08:17 AM   #11
PJR

I'd have to disagree on the value of this gun. If it is NIB and unfired I would put the asking price halfway between an ST version and a plain Jane Remington 870 Police. The ST has a "name" cachet and some internal work that makes them more desirable. The custom accessories do have a value particularly the tritium sights but you won't recover what you put into it. My own rule of thumb is that any gun that is customized beyond those things I can take off (e.g. side saddle, extended mag) is a gun I have decided to keep.

Sort of a moot point anyway because you are keeping the gun which is a very good decision.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old October 14, 2000, 09:11 AM   #12
Randy Cain

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJR:
The ST has a "name" cachet and some internal work that makes them more desirable.[/quote]

FALSE!
There has never been internal work done to these guns. (With the exception of a sleeve choke installed in some of the later barrels.) They were entirely assembled from add-on parts which anyone could have done for themselves.

It is true that ST developed some innovative accessories (sights, mag tubes, ABS plastic followers, trigger groups, etc.)

The entire company at ST was created by copying my first Robar built custom shotgun.

Old October 14, 2000, 11:23 AM   #13
PJR

Randy:

I guess it's how you define some internal work. The ST guns I've fired were smoother and had better trigger pulls than the standard 870 that I own. It's true most of their guns were add on parts but they are certainly smoother operating out of the box than a standard Remington in my experience.
Old October 15, 2000, 11:01 AM   #14
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Nope, don't think I would sell her either!!!
As one poster said, Stand in the intersection
with a sign that say's; "Will Work, To Finance My Next Project"!!!

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 15, 2000, 12:09 PM   #15
po boy

Allen
check to see if there is a Issac Walton near you they don,t look at you funny there
Old October 16, 2000, 01:25 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Randy,(rhetorical question alert) just how much smithing is needed on an 870 anyway? I've no idea what Robar or ST does internally, and the couple of mine that have all the bells and whistles were done piecemeal,as time and cash allowed.The only work I had done was stuff an amateur should leave alone, forcing cones and triggers.

Like someone said on another thread recently, pump guns are quite simple mechanically, and little besides abuse and neglect can %^&* them up.