The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Bridgeman65

Help

I.m new to the forum. I'm here because I need help in reloading 147 gr hp 9mm with WSF. The data I find says OAL 1.169 but it jams in the magazine. I am at 4.15 gr WSF at OAL 1.155 but it varys to 1.150 if you measure every cartidge off the press. I have shot Winchester 147 grain factory. Trouble is they measure 1.115 OAL but their website lists 1.169 for the powder load listed. Am I going to get in overpressure trouble with this powder and OAL load? I have see loads on other webites that use much lower OAL lengths with different powders that burn faster. I'm trying to work up my reload to match the factory load slowly so that it functions for my wife in her Glock 17.
She can run the 147 gr factory stuff no problem but 115 gr factory jams and stove pipes on her. She is 67 and is excercising to build hand strength but for now I need a workiing 147 gr. She can run +Ps but at $1 a round that is out of the question for plinking at the range.
Old March 12, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

You should be ok. Do not seat shorter than the minimum number for the load. Seating too short especialy in high pressure small cased rounds like 9 mm can spike pressure greatly.

Ok that said if they are hanging on the feed ramp going from the magazine, and the gun hangs kind of open. Chances are the round is too short and you can seat longer up to the lenght that your magazine will handle. If the slide does not go into full battery, and it hard to extract the round then that can be an either/or both scenario. Too long, then seat a couple of thousandths deeper. Not enough flare removed. If so then screw the seating die in 1/4 turn increments till the rounds chamber, and extract without gumming up the action, just be sure to back the seating stem out a tad when you do.
Old March 12, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3
oneounceload

MY G17 seemed to have the best accuracy with 124 gr bullets - a smidge shorter and feed perfectly every time. You might want to look into those for her gun as they are a great SD/HD bullet and seem to work well....just an additional thought to consider
Old March 12, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Bridgeman65

More Info

My basic problem is my wife not being able to hold the light Glock 17. I have installed a 15 lb recoil spring to help her out. Myself, I can run anything through the gun with out a problem. So far the 147 gr factory load is working for her and I'm just trying to duplicate it without getting into trouble. It's been 20 years since I've reloaded anything but she has gun fever and wants to go to the range every week. Her not being able to run a mag with out a stove pipe or a feeding problem with the 115 gr factory stuff lead me into reloading the 147 gr as it works for her. Going out tomorrow with the latest reloads. I'm getting closer as last time out she only had three malfunctions in 40 reload rounds.