The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
totaldla

TiteGroup melting bullets?

Just wondering if you folks have seen this. I was using Hodgdon TiteGroup for my 44 mag plinkers. I've used it to push Oregon Trail 240gr bullets. I've tried it twice now and I see the same thing - melted lead deposited on the cylinder face. I don't see this with any of the other powders (see link, I've tried a lot). I've had it happen with the stock sized and lubed as well as .430" sized and lubed with Alox.

It seems to happen with the low-pressure loadings (~900fps - 6.5gr). The lead deposits are a pretty radiating pattern and don't affect the cylinder rotation. I'm a bit concerned about the smoke though, as I suspect there's a lot of vaporized lead.

Has anyone else seen this with TG?
Old May 10, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I use Titegroup in my .41 mag. I cast my own. I tumble lube in liquid allox. The smoke you are seeing is lube burning.
Most of the guys here will ask did you slug your bore, and what size are bullets.
Mine all shoot fine. I clean my gun before leaving the range. I get a few tiny particles of lead on the patch after brushing, after that the bore is nice and clear.
Next I would ask how good did you clean the gun after shooting any jacketed, or plated ammo. Lead will stick to copper in a hurry. Try cleaning the heck out of the gun with a good solovent, and brushing the chambers, and throat very well. Wait a day after that and repaeat. Usualy that will make a world of differance.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Coffeeshop123

I've had this happen with .357 mag loads as well. When they make the jump from the cylinder to the forcing cone, it'll happen. I'd be more concerned about barrel leading; if it's not happening then I wouldn't worry much about it. Anytime you shoot unjacketed lead bullets, you're going to have lead fumes in the air...The smoke could be from the lube or from the powder as well; I haven't tried Titegroup yet but even with Bullseye I get an appreciable amount of smoke when shooting cast bullets.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:07 PM   #4
totaldla

Yea, I'm used to smoke - I've been shooting cast for a long time. As some have noted, the amount of smoke varies with the powder, charge and lube type. For example, I get more smoke from the TiteGroup plinkers than I do with the same bullet pushed with 23.5gr of W296.

But it is the cylinder face leading that I find interesting. TiteGroup is the only powder I use that does it. I only get a small amount of Forcing Cone leading with the TiteGroup load. Thanks for the inputs.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Dave R

When I used TiteGroup with Laser Cast bullets (which are supposed to be pretty hard) in .45acp, I had a LOT of leading. When I went to Unique with Laser Cast bullets, I had more soot, but much less leading.

Then I tried TiteGroup with Barry's plated bullets, and again, not much leading.

So I'm inclined to believe that TiteGroup was melting the lead. That TG/Lead bullet combo leaded my bore probably 3x as much as the other combos I tried.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:41 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Anytime you shoot unjacketed lead bullets, you're going to have lead fumes in the air...
hmmmm....really. I can see lead from the primers, but lead from the bullets?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 11, 2010, 03:07 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

me personally

I don't use any powders 'faster' than Universal/Unique in the 44 Magnum; my IPSC loads uses Universal.
Know what I mean?
Old May 11, 2010, 08:44 PM   #8
laytonj1

Quote:
hmmmm....really. I can see lead from the primers, but lead from the bullets?
Some of the lead from the base of the bullet will vaporize from the hot gasses.
If you ever recover any of your lead bullets after shooting you will see the erosion on their bases.

Jim
Old May 12, 2010, 01:14 PM   #9
totaldla

Good point. I need to dig one of these out of the dirt and check the base. Oh well - ain't reloading fun?