The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 09:36 AM   #1
sdclaw

Advice needed: Turning my BPS into a slug gun

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help. I'm getting back into deer hunting after a 10 year absence and I going to turn my old BPS bird gun into a deer killer.

I'm looking at two barrels to replace my 28 inch barrel. One is the hastings with iron sights and one is a browning with a cantilever mount. Since most of my shots will be in brush, snap shots, or shots at running deer at less than 100 yards if I go with the browning barrel I'm leaning toward red dot sights. I've never used a scope before and I just don't feel comfortable getting target aquisition quickly in the conditions i described.

Does anyone use similar set ups to the ones above? Thoughts?
Old September 15, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
hardluk1

I would do the cantalever barrel and put a 1 to 5 power or 2 to 7 power lighted cross hair scope. You will have the best of both by being able to have a lighted site to use and some power for that 100 yards or more in the trees and branch's. It is nice to see a shot around a branch rather than hit something can deflect even a slug and if you practice and see a monster at longer range you do have some power to turn up. Also with a cantalever mount you can change barrels for bird hunting or clays and not change the point of impact when the rifled barrel goes back on. A scoped rifled slug barrel can shoot 150 + yards easliy if you do your job but still see that deer at 20 feet on 1 or 2 power.You can get some scopes for shotguns that have range marks on them to that can help with distance if needed and light the cross hairs in red and green if needed. Give a low magnification scope a try, you loss nothing to a dot scope and only gain the ability to see a deer better at the longer distance.

Last edited by hardluk1; September 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
GeauxTide

I'm Old School

I'd get the IS because of the distance involved. If I'm going to make a 100 yd shot, then I'll have a scoped rifle in my hands. Another benefit with IS is it becomes a compact HD weapon.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
iiwas

Id have to agree, Iron is better if you just want to swap barrels and go, one box and you know where your shot placement is, and if your planning on taking under 100 yd shots you will be fine.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
Mark Twain
Old September 15, 2009, 02:55 PM   #5
hardluk1

Did you guys miss that the browning barrel is a cantilever,means mount is on the barrel ,comes and goes with no regard of the action. It would always stay on target as a slug gun. Iron sites in this age are just a waste at 100 yards.If your never going to shot over 100yards just screw in an open choke and shoot old school slugs or a screw in rifled extention and shoot new type slugs and some rib or barrel mount sites and save some money.
Old September 15, 2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Pahoo

For your shooting enviroment, you will not believe the performance that a Red Dot will give you. If you already have one, then you will know what I'm talking about. Once you get use to using one and anchor at the same or close to the same point ever time, you will get the target aquistion you are refering to. Try it for yourself. I too am "Old School" and shoot a smooth bore with a Red Dot. I have taken running shots and close moving shots. Have to admit that I may be handicapped on shots further than 100yds. Not so that I'm going to change what I'm doing. I talked a fellow into using a Red Dot on his M/L and he took a deer at 80yds. or so he said ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 17, 2009, 04:29 PM   #7
earlthegoat2

I have only ever used Red Dots and Iron Sights on my slug guns. Now I dont use iron sights at all. There is no magnification but the ability to aim with only one point is great and snap shooting is a breeze. I have only ever shot a few deer on stand the rest have been while still hunting and taking fast shots.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:19 PM   #8
sdclaw

thanks for all the advise. I'm 100% confident in getting a red dot. Now it's only a question of what. I'm seriously considering the bushnell trophy modle with adjustible colors and reticules. I've also come across a product by Mueller that is similar in design to the echotechs but for about 1/5 the cost. I've seen some good reviews for it and folks said it had no trouble standing up to 3 inch turkey loads so I don't see why it wouldnt be able to handle 2 3-4 or 3 inch sabots. Anyone have experience with either of these two? I'm trying to keep it under $100