The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2002, 01:45 AM   #26
sm

Good Thread,

Sounds like gun fit to me. As suggested someone qualified to check fit would be beneficial. Trying other guns (fit) might be a good idea.

Brister's sanding rim and a bit more toe rounded - well have seen results and shot gun- yeah one can tell a difference.

Loads: partial to the old superlight loading, 1 1/8 at 1145, depending on targets/distance 8 and 7.5 shot.

Is the recoil bothering her shoulder or cheek ? recoil pads suggested are good ones, if comb a bit low, maybe moleskin applied might help with fit, and felt recoil on cheek, if abrasive, cover with electrical tape.

My .02
Old June 15, 2002, 07:25 PM   #27
vertigo7

I caught up to my lady friend today and gave her all the great suggestions everyone kindly provided. She told me she'd gone out to one of the clays / skeet ranges in this area to check things out and ask questions, and the local gunnies there that day gave her such a hard time she left in tears. She didn't even get a chance to shoot a single clay pigeon. Please note I wasn't present for any of this, I'm just relaying what she had to say about her visit to the club.

I felt awful for her. She's a nice lady and didn't deserve to be treated like second-class trash just because she's a newbie shooter who wants to learn and asks questions. I invited her to go shooting with me anytime she wanted to, and assured her that not everyone in the shooting community is as crude and foul-mannered as the people she dealt with.

vertigo7
One Sharps .52-caliber buffalo rifle. One Remington .45 120 rolling block. One Henry repeater rifle. Smaller caliber, but impressive rate of fire. One eight-gauge Remington, Derringer. One L.C. Smith 10-gauge stub twist coach gun. And this! A two-inch bore punt gun!"
--Hiram Gummer, Tremors 4
Old June 15, 2002, 08:56 PM   #28
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Time to find a new club if possible. That's just asinine.
Old June 15, 2002, 09:50 PM   #29
C.R.Sam

That is SICK !

Sam
Old June 16, 2002, 08:43 AM   #30
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

7, that's a fine example of the Bozo Factor.

"It only takes one clown to #$%^& it up for everyone".

And this kind of churlishness is rarely found among the best shooters. The sort of discipline and dedication needed to get best often smooths and helps people skills.

I suggest you attend the next club meeting at that range and report to the members what she told you. And if it's not received well, tell them what they can kiss.
Old June 16, 2002, 12:10 PM   #31
vertigo7

I'm thinking about taking a ride out to that club myself, and playing the part of the clueless newbie who's full of questions. It'll be convincing, shotguns aren't my forte, much less skeet / clays. Then maybe giving them an earful about being so harsh to newbies, remind them they were newbie shooters once too, and that the only way you will learn anything is to ask questions of more experienced shooters. I'm curious to see if I'll receive the same treatment she did even though I'm a guy. Will post back with an after-op report.

vertigo7
One Sharps .52-caliber buffalo rifle. One Remington .45 120 rolling block. One Henry repeater rifle. Smaller caliber, but impressive rate of fire. One eight-gauge Remington, Derringer. One L.C. Smith 10-gauge stub twist coach gun. And this! A two-inch bore punt gun!"
--Hiram Gummer, Tremors 4