The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 25, 2001, 05:16 PM   #1
a-bolt

I have a new howa 1500 that I've not yet been able to scope. I've heard this rifle was formerly offered as the Weatherby Vanguard but I wondered what you folks could tell me about it. Why, even if they did not want to offer it anymore, would Weatherby let Howa make it off their patent?

Any info apprecitated.
Old March 26, 2001, 06:01 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

A-Bolt:
The Howa is made on the Weatherby Vanguard Patent. Howa also mfg'd these rifles for Smith & Wesson, (I have one in .243) until 1985 and then Mossberg in 1986 and 87. I don't know if they still are, but Interarms was importing them and may still be doing so.

This rifle was pesented in barreled actions also, and I used to stock them with custom stocks, producing a custom stocked rifle. They are a fine rifle and really quite accurate once set up. I have heard that those stocked by Howa are also very accurate.

HJN

[Edited by Harley Nolden on 03-26-2001 at 06:38 AM]