The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Armed_Chicagoan

Used Sig P365, What Parts To Replace?

I just bought a used P365 from the original owner, who reports no problems in the 300 rounds he put through it. It has a May 10, 2018 born on date, a transition period from what I can tell. I know some of the major issues from the early runs, so today I took it apart to see what style striker I had and the condition of the trigger bar spring. I have the old-style striker, so it seems a no-brainer to replace that and I already ordered a new Sig-manufactured one. The trigger bar spring looked solidly in place, I can feel it sticking out of the magwell but it doesn't seem to scratch the magazines. The other end sticks out slightly from the trigger bar, so that end seems long enough as well. The issue was some were cut too short and could become disconnected upon firing, yes? So I'll leave the spring in place.

Besides those 2 issues is there anything else I should replace or should I be good to go after the new striker? Obviously, as 2nd owner I'm not covered by the warranty. But I got a smoking deal on this pistol so there's room for preventive part replacement!
Old July 2, 2019, 01:51 PM   #2
AK103K

Id call SIG and see if they dont cover it. Worth the phone call anyway. Worst they say is no.
Old July 2, 2019, 01:56 PM   #3
TunnelRat

SIG's warranty department can be finnicky as the warranty now only applies to the original owner. If you're the second owner and say as much on the phone they might leave it to you to fix. Although that just leaves you where you are now, as AK said.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 2, 2019, 02:16 PM   #4
AK103K

I would hope if it was a gun that they have upgraded, and this one was not, that they would want to take care of it. But, you never know.

I sent a gun back to Glock that was 9 years out of warranty, and they took care of me.

Its worth the call I think.

If they say no, you can bitch them out.
Old July 2, 2019, 02:31 PM   #5
TunnelRat

I thought only the early ones were upgraded and this was a midcycle model? Does the upgrade apply to this one? That wasn't the impression I got from the OP. This is part of the problem with rolling updates. It's hard to account for the ones in circulation. I know people that just learned about the P320 "upgrade", and others that know but don't want to send their pistols in.

Old July 2, 2019, 02:54 PM   #6
Armed_Chicagoan

Well I already ordered the new striker, it's a $40 part shipped and even considering that I got a great deal on this gun so that doesn't bother me. I was just wondering if there was anything else that I should check for.
Old July 2, 2019, 03:02 PM   #7
davidsog

You can call or email SIG with your serial number. They can tell what rolling updates you have or do not have in that pistol.

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/customer-support/
Old July 2, 2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Armed_Chicagoan

Thanks davidsog, that's a good idea!
Old July 2, 2019, 05:40 PM   #9
davidsog

You are welcome!
Old July 2, 2019, 07:24 PM   #10
Mackie244Bud

Armed_Chicagoa you really need to relax...

My P365 was Born on March 19th 2018..
It has Original Everything except..

* I put a Sig Flat Trigger into it.
* I put Black Rubber Talon Grips onto It

I have over 3,000 rounds without a hiccup...
Same Striker, Same Recoil Spring..I just Shoot IT and Shoot IT and Shoot IT Some More!

I encourage you to do the same!
Enjoy...Shoot Safe...Be Safe!
Oh And...
Congrats on your new P365!
Old July 2, 2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Mackie244Bud

Another thought..
Since you know the original owner.. find out if he ever Registered the P365 with Sig.
If he did not register it then you can and you will have Warranty for Life as the Original owner...
Get some information from him because Sig will ask for it during registration..

* Date of Purchase..Month..Day...Year
* Where it was purchased...Retailer Name
* How much he Paid

That's about it...the rest is information about you..
Old July 2, 2019, 09:31 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

You shouldn't have to replace ANY parts on a gun that new.
Most 50 year old guns still don't need any parts replaced.
Old July 2, 2019, 09:49 PM   #13
AgedWarrior

Armed_Chicagoan,
I bought my P365 last year, and I have been shooting it regularly since, over a 1000 rounds without the slightest hiccup. It has been and still is quite reliable. Nothing wrong with picking up the new striker, but ya might want to just shoot it...a lot. Enjoy!
Old July 2, 2019, 09:51 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
Well I already ordered the new striker, it's a $40 part shipped and even considering that I got a great deal on this gun so that doesn't bother me. I was just wondering if there was anything else that I should check for.
Just go shoot the damn thing - it'll be just fine. I have two that run like tops. If you ever leave Chicago for trips, pick up a few of the 12 round mags - they really make it fit fantastic!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 2, 2019, 11:32 PM   #15
jmhyer

Keep the new striker as a spare for if/when the current one breaks. No need to swap it out now.
Old July 3, 2019, 10:07 AM   #16
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
If you ever leave Chicago for trips, pick up a few of the 12 round mags - they really make it fit fantastic!
It actually came with 5 12 round mags, and 4 10 round mags. Plus a Vedder light tuck holster (with claw) and an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. And for $100 less than what a new one costs. So considering the $300+ in accessories it came with I think I did pretty good! Will be calling Sig a little later today, I'll let everyone know what they say.
Old July 3, 2019, 11:11 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
You shouldn't have to replace ANY parts on a gun that new.
Most 50 year old guns still don't need any parts replaced.
Defects happen. You shouldn't have to replace the airbag on a new car, but look what's happening now. I feel confident in saying that many if not most of the airbags being removed today would likely be fine. However, the percentage of problems found in those made means that they are preemptively replacing the ones in circulation as a precaution.

Quote:
Keep the new striker as a spare for if/when the current one breaks. No need to swap it out now.
I think it depends. If a person thought that the newer striker was significantly more robust and replacing the striker with the new one gave him/her some piece of mind, maybe it's worth $40. Sure you could always replace it when it breaks, but if it breaks at a critical time you could have a problem.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 3, 2019, 11:47 AM   #18
wild cat mccane

If you are getting parts from Osage, consider a future recoil spring.

My 365 manual says replace every 2,500 rounds...
Old July 4, 2019, 11:51 AM   #19
RickB

I called SIG about a new extractor spring for my P938, and they suggested a "tune-up", which seemed reasonably priced, other than the next-day shipping.
They go through the gun, updating and tweaking as necessary, and recommend doing it at 5000 rounds, which made me happy, knowing they expect the gun to last more than 5000 rounds.
Old July 4, 2019, 12:13 PM   #20
AK103K

If you have a good relationship with a local shop, you can save a bit of money by having them ship it, if SIG (or whoever) wont send you a label.

The shop I deal with a lot sent my Glock back for $25, vs the $50-75 what overnight seems to cost. All I had to do was drop it off too. He packed it up and sent it.
Old July 4, 2019, 12:18 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Yeah any FFL can use USPS as opposed to the private shippers, which is usually cheaper.

Old July 4, 2019, 12:35 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

Shoot it before you do anything.
You should be able to read SIG USA's warrantee on-line somewhere. Look for who it applies to. There's probably a line about the original owner as very few, if any, used firearms come with a warrantee.
"...condition of the trigger bar spring..." You can't tell anything about a spring by just looking at it. However, coil springs do not lose temper by usage. Neither do flat springs, but they can work harden at the bends.
Old July 4, 2019, 02:13 PM   #23
pblanc

I do not believe that SIG ever offered any type of "upgrade" for the P365. I have read posts from owners of P365 pistols with the original striker design who had to send their pistols in for repair of a problems unrelated to the striker, who asked SIG if they would install the latest iteration of striker, and were refused.

To my knowledge, if the striker broke or the trigger bar spring came off under warranty, they would fix it, otherwise no dice.
Old July 6, 2019, 12:31 PM   #24
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...condition of the trigger bar spring..." You can't tell anything about a spring by just looking at it.
Oh but you can in this case! The issue wasn't springs breaking, but the ends were cut either too short or too long so that they would either pop out of the hole they're stuck in or sticking so far through they scratch the magazine in the magazine well. So in this case I just verified that the spring ends were cut to the proper length and it won't pop out or scratch the mags.

And oh, calling customer service late in the afternoon the day before a holiday... not a good idea lol. New striker came yesterday, very easy 5 minute installation. $40 is well worth the peace of mind!
Old July 6, 2019, 10:53 PM   #25
Ibmikey

I received a Sig P 238 from a friend in a trade, it was one of the first made and subject to a recall. The pistol is about 14 years old and I am the second owner I contacted Sig and was given a label to send it to them. As the night sights were worn out I asked they be replaced and billed for the cost. When the pistol was returned a scant ten days later instead of the worn pistol I sent I received ostensibly an updated new pistol with sparkling night sights and finish. The old parts had not been refinished but were new including the frame which had the same serial number, however the scratch and dent where it had been dropped were not there ( metal was missing from the original frame) which leads me to accept it as new. There was no charge from Sig, I am sold on their service.

Tags
p365