The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 16, 2019, 04:31 PM   #26
BBarn

I enjoy 44 caliber revolvers. Full power 44 Magnum loads are more than I enjoy in a Blackhawk with the regular grip frames, but those same loads are fun in a Bisley Blackhawk or Redhawk.

Beyond cleaning the cylinder and barrel, revolvers seldom need to be stripped for cleaning, perhaps every 5K to 10K rounds or even more. So I wouldn't be too concerned about any difficulties that might exist with stripping the Blackhawk.

I would suggest that the screws of the Blackhawk be checked every 100 rounds or so. Some of the screws have a tendency to loosen fairly quickly, which can result in wear, damage, or lost parts if left loose.
Old June 17, 2019, 04:35 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
My opinion.

I'm making up numbers, here. Do not believe them.

If you load 11.0 of Unique under a 240 grain JSP, you might get 1100 fps out of your 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. Shoot the same load out of your 20" 1894 Marlin and you get 1750, because of the longer barrel.

BUT, if you use a powder picked to make the best use of that 20 inches of barrel, you might can push that 240 grain JSP 2000 fps. Howsomever, if you fire those loads in your Super, you don't get 1100 fps, but instead only get 950 fps, and a HUGE fireball, since you don't have enough barrel for all the powder to burn.

So, if you just have the 44 rifle, then choose a "rifle load". If you've got both pistol and rifle, then pick a good pistol load and shoot it in your rifle too.
My best 44 fireballs were with lil'gun.
Old June 17, 2019, 05:23 AM   #28
Mobuck

I own a carbine chambered for every caliber of handgun I have.
Old June 17, 2019, 10:19 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
and why is that ?
I added some powder from left-over fireworks.

Just Kidding--don't do that anyone lest you blow yourself and everyone around you up!
Old June 17, 2019, 08:57 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So, if you just have the 44 rifle, then choose a "rifle load". If you've got both pistol and rifle, then pick a good pistol load and shoot it in your rifle too.
What???!!??
I've been doing it all wrong!

I shoot everything in the rifle and revolvers, except for one box marked, "Rifle Only - Probably safe in SBH, too, but sketchy" and one box marked, "SBH Only - Too long for 1894".
My favorite is a 790 fps load with swaged 240 gr SWCs. They're even slower out of the rifle. They're quieter than my .30-06 with a suppressor on it.
Quiet, gentle, and sublime... Did I mention that they're accurate? It's a pop-gun load, but it sure does work.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:51 PM   #31
lordvader

I would. I have a 629 classic 44 that doesn't get fired much. Bought it for hunting, so I don't really get to shoot it much. In your situation you would get a lot of use out of your 44, if you purchased one. Mine gets taken out of the vault maybe twice a year. So I would say yes get the 44 if you really want it, and enjoy it at the range.
Old June 18, 2019, 01:30 PM   #32
stagpanther

The 44 mag is my all-around favorite cartridge to reload--easiest to do and brass lasts forever. Can't go wrong either way.
Old June 21, 2019, 01:25 AM   #33
ballardw

Lever action rifle and SA revolvers in .22, .357, .45 colt and .41 magnum. I say go for it.

Someday may add .32-20 to the collection.
Old August 27, 2019, 02:29 PM   #34
BillSussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post
If you must buy a Ruger revolver, avoid their single action pieces. If you insist on one, DO NOT disassemble further than removing the cylinder. You would be much better served by the Red Hawk models. Just my $.02
Why do you say that?
Old August 27, 2019, 02:34 PM   #35
stagpanther

It is a bit tricky--but I did it and my super Blackhawk has suffered no ill effects from a trigger change. I'm a knucklehead when it comes to revolvers.
Old August 27, 2019, 05:38 PM   #36
rodfac

I've got a cpl Marlin carbines in .44 Magnum that are the cat's paws for deer hunting in the woods surrounding our farm...and also have 4 .44 Specials and a pair of .44 Magnums...I've enjoyed finding loads that were accurate in each of the .44's. In .44 Magnum, you'll find that the rifle/carbines use a different bullet diameter which affects the bullet seat and groove dia. Rifles are 0.431" and handguns are 0.429". It doesn't make a difference with jacketed bullets but is a major concern accuracy wise with the handguns. YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 27, 2019, 05:50 PM   #37
MarkCO

If you have to ask...YES.
Old August 27, 2019, 06:58 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you must buy a Ruger revolver, avoid their single action pieces. If you insist on one, DO NOT disassemble further than removing the cylinder. You would be much better served by the Red Hawk models. Just my $.02
I think Ruger SA revolvers are the best SA revolvers on the market, for the money. No, they aren't Colts and they don't pretend to be (New Vaquero excepted )

Not disassembling any revolver past removing the cylinder is fair advice, but few people will follow it.

Better served by a Redhawk? Maybe, if you don't mind the larger size, greater weight, different grip shape, trigger reach and a DA system that I neither like, nor need.
Old August 27, 2019, 07:17 PM   #39
Pathfinder45

The Super-Blackhawk is a great gun. If they made it in 45 Colt, I would have one. If you're a 44 magnum guy, it's a must-have. Black-Hawks and Vaqueros are also nice.
Old August 27, 2019, 07:37 PM   #40
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Own a 44Mag Rifle, should I buy a Revolver
There is no good reason not to!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 28, 2019, 09:09 AM   #41
rodfac

Quote:
Better served by a Redhawk? Maybe, if you don't mind the larger size, greater weight, different grip shape, trigger reach and a DA system that I neither like, nor need.
I've quoted 44AMP, here but might add, in the spirit of good humor and totally "in the eyes of the beholder" ... referring of course to the Redhawk: fugly as all get-out!

YMMv and probably should. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 28, 2019, 11:44 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

While I'm not a fan of the style of the Redhawk, it is much more appealing to me than the Super Redhawk.

I have had personal experience with Marlin, Ruger and Remington .44 Mag rifles, and own a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a S&W M29, Desert Eagle and a T/C Contender in .44 Mag. Each of them does something better than the others and none of them does everything better than the others.

My experience is that while you can find a load that works tolerably well in everything, it is very rare to find the best load in one gun also being the best load in others.

Get a .44 Mag pistol, get what ever floats your boat. If its not to your liking, sell it.

If you want a pistol to teach you how good a shot you aren't, get a Contender. Just don't let it wack you in the face!! (NOT kidding!!)
Old August 28, 2019, 12:01 PM   #43
stagpanther

Quote:
it is very rare to find the best load in one gun also being the best load in others.
Especially between the handgun and rifle.
Old August 28, 2019, 02:27 PM   #44
SIGSHR

Yes, it's one of those fun things that really can't be defined or explained.
Old August 29, 2019, 06:34 AM   #45
jetinteriorguy

Yes, definitely get a revolver. I like combos, I have Henry's with matching revolvers in both .357 mag and .41 mag, and a JustRight carbine and semi auto pistols in 9mm. If you hand load and restrict the range to 50yds or less it's not totally difficult to find loads that work reasonably well in both platforms. HS-6 works well for 9mm, 700x in .357, and Greendot in the .41. These have worked well for me, haven't tried 2400 yet but I'd guess it would work well in both of the magnums. My loads are always based on accuracy only, for this use I'm not concerned with highest velocity or how clean they shoot etc.
Old August 30, 2019, 10:39 AM   #46
Crunchy Frog

Since you don’t hunt and you don’t need the power of a .44 Magnum revolver, another option is to purchase a revolver in .44 Special. It will be less heavy and bulky than a SBH. I have a .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk and like its proportions. If a DA revolver appeals to you the GP-100 comes in .44 Special.

There are some fixed sight .44 Special SA revolvers but they are harder to find than a .357 or .45 Colt. Try Cimarron; someone there has a liking to that cartridge.
Old August 30, 2019, 12:08 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

.44 Special is a fine cartridge, but its more of a cult round these days. If you're not packing the gun as a defense pistol, why limit yourself to a lighter "less bulky" gun??

The two problems I have with .44Spl guns is #1) there is not much room to load up, if you have the need, or want for more, and #2) the resale market is much smaller.

Ammo?? If you're looking to buy it off the shelf, you'll find a lot more choices in .44 Mag. If you handload, there little use for the .44 Special round as .44 Magnum can easily be loaded down. Factory .44 Special is loaded in the mid 700fps range, which does limit the usefulness a bit.

If there is a .44 special pistol that catches your eye, meets some need where a .44 mag won't, then by all means get a Special. If you get a magnum, and shoot specials (or better special level loads in magnum brass) and later decide you need or want to shoot magnums, you don't need to get another pistol.
Old August 30, 2019, 02:10 PM   #48
stagpanther

Well, firing a 44 mag handgun is a whole different ballgame from the Big Boy--carbines take a lot of the bite out of even the hottest 44 mag loads. I never would call shooting my 44mag SBH "fun"--more like "a challenge." Your palm/wrists are going to feel it.
Old August 30, 2019, 10:23 PM   #49
Andy1

If you hunt with a .44 magnum rifle I think it's pretty much a no brainer to get a handgun to match. I shoot a .44 mag Handi Rifle and have a 7.5" Super Blackhawk in a bandolier holster. I use Double Tap 225 grain XPBs in both guns. I've had deer come in on my right and can draw the SBH instead of trying to get my body turned around in a tree stand to get a shot.
Old August 31, 2019, 12:07 AM   #50
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I never would call shooting my 44mag SBH "fun"--more like "a challenge." Your palm/wrists are going to feel it.
Everybody is a bit different about that. My Super Blackhawk is the old 7.5" and wears Pachmayr rubber grips and its the 2nd most pleasant to shoot of the 4 that I own. And, i'm talking velocities 1200fps and above.

The most punishing .44 Mag I own is a 10" Contender. Even with the Pachmayr grip that octagon pencil barrel makes it light. Muzzle climb is extreme!

Next least pleasant is my S&W M29. Again, Pachmayr grips on the 6.5" gun tame it a bit, with the stock wood grips it is painful. With the rubber its just sharply unpleasant.

Most comfortable to shoot, as far as recoil is concerned is my .44 Mag Desert Eagle. Not so good to hold up, and the grip is huge, too big for some folks, but the near 4.5lb loaded weight and gas operation tames the recoil to about the same felt level as a GI .45 auto. Blast, on the other hand, is something else!

some people act as if you're a wimp if you can't shoot several hundred rounds of .44 Mag every few days. OF course, THEY would never do it.

Shoot too much, and too much of something that kicks hard, and you're headed for nerve damage. You can do enough damage to pretty much end your handgunning career before you realize it. Don't be a macho fool, if it hurts, DON'T DO IT.

(or, don't do much at any one time, and HEAL in between! )

If shooting for recreation, load to about 1100fps or so, or slightly less. Lots of "boom" and enough recoil to tell you there's plenty of "thwop" but not so sharp as do be damaging to your nerves if you shoot a couple boxes, or more..