The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Ed_

Hornady Powder LNL case actviated powder drop problem

When loading .223 About 1 out of every 10 cases get smashed in the case activated powder drop station. [See Attached Picture]. I have triple checked to make sure I am using the proper drop tube with the correct orientation. The measure insert is not jamming up against the top of the slot.
The rotor has been lubricated with one shot dry lube and appears to operate smoothly but It must be hanging up occasionally and forces the case mouth into the funnel . The biggest nuisance is when this happens powder spills all over the place and my case is ruined.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Note: I have loaded thousands of pistol cartridges and this has never occurred.

Ed_

Old December 28, 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
PAdutchman

I would say either your powder measure adjustment is too low, or more likely your case lengths are not the same with some being longer and getting smashed. The 223 is the cartridge I have to watch the most for trim length especially when shot out of an AR.
Old December 28, 2010, 09:33 AM   #3
thesheepdog

You have over lubed your cases or your powder drop is too low. I have the Hornady LNL and experienced this problem one time.
The case activated powder drop comes set at a factory height and is not a useable height for every cartridge. If it's too low, you'll tear up your brass, and if it's to high, you'll not get a full powder charge.

You can fix those cases if you just run them through your resizing die-this usually fixes it.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:14 AM   #4
jbrown13

I agree with the other 2 posters. Your powder drop is set too low, and the tapered insert in the drop tube is rolling the brass inward. Adjust the powder drop so it gets to the top of its stroke when the press ram reaches the top of its stroke. Been there and done that.
Old December 28, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Ed_

Thank you all for the input. I was able to fix thoses case by running back through the sizer die [I dug them out of the trash can to take the pictures]

As far as adjusted to low. I already left an 1/8" on the top of the travel to prevent the metering insert from slamming the top of the slot. The cases are all new unfired and measure below the maximum case length.

I called hornady and they said to graphite the thing again. I am almost thinking that the powder "Varget" causing it to bind from cutting.

Anyway I am going to disassemble, clean and re-adjust and see what happens.

Happy New year

Ed
Old December 28, 2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Bob Knizner

Ed-

I had the same experience with .223 and Varget powder. On my LNL AP, I could feel a distinct CRUNCH when the Varget was being cut by the rotor.

I switched to 335 and no more CRUNCH and no more mashed cases.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Old December 28, 2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Ed_

Bob,
Yes I heard the crunch also. Thank you.... I am not losing my mind.

Note : My speer manual says to use magnum primers with H335 is that really necessary. I hope the answer is no.

Last edited by Ed_; December 28, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old December 28, 2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Bob Knizner

Ed-

I usually use the Hornady book, which does not require magnum primers when loading .223 with 335.

These loads have worked well for me.

Bob
Old December 28, 2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Ed_

Thanks for the info. Luckily I only have a little varget left and was needing to replace anyway.
Old December 29, 2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Chinny33

not your fault.

I had the EXACT same problem with my 223s.

I called hornady and they overnighted a special powder funnel insert just for this issue. Fixed my problem immediately.

of course the powder drop will work better with ball/spherical powder.
Proverbs 27:12
Old December 29, 2010, 05:41 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

Can you describe what this special insert looks like on the business end?

I have in mind a design that registers off the case shoulder, but still has a funnel area above the neck to make sure the powder goes into the case.

Andy
Old January 11, 2011, 07:41 AM   #12
Ed_

Resolved

I thought I would follow up on this post just in case someone in the future may experience the same problem :

Since changing to H335 the problem disappeared. Thank you Bob.

ED
Old January 11, 2011, 08:21 PM   #13
pre64win

I had the same problem. I discovered that when I deburred the case neck I would thin the brass and make it weak then when i charged the case it did not take much pressure to roll the top in. Be sure to just taper the inside of the neck enough to accommodate bullet seating. If you do not taper the inside of the neck when you seat a flat base bullet it will hang on the case mouth and collapse the case where the neck hits the shoulder. Be sure there is a small amount of free travel in the powder measure rotor when the case is at the top of the stroke. I like to leave about 1/16 inch clearance between the powder adjustment stem and the frame of the measure. I have used the LNL for a while and have discovered several of the little tricks that help it run smooth.