The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 13, 2020, 06:11 PM   #1
stan5677

New Rifle

I am back in the market for a new bolt-action. Sold my last one due to falling on hard times any recommendations on brand and model? $1100 is my maximum.
Old October 13, 2020, 07:18 PM   #2
jmhyer

You didn't state your purpose, but, for my money, I would look at a Browning X Bolt model or a Bergara B14 model.

If your budget needs to also include the scope, then I'm looking at a Tikka T3.
Old October 13, 2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Double K

If your looking at long action cartridges I like the Sauer 100 and Tikka T3, short action cartridges 700 Remington is tough to beat.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880249475
Old October 13, 2020, 08:20 PM   #4
jmr40

A stainless Tikka is $750; blue can be had for $600. Leaves plenty of money for a better scope. Tikka will most likely outshoot anything out there if you don't mind unconventional looks. That is the way I'd go.

I wouldn't touch a Remington new or used anymore. Bergara is good, but overrated and over priced. I've had 2. They weren't bad, but my $350 Ruger Predators shot better. At the same price point Tikka was a lot better.

I can't comment on the Browning, no personal experience.

If looking for something with a little more class Winchester 70 Featherweight or Ruger Hawkeye. Both should be in your budget but finding one right now could be a problem.

Winston Churchill
Old October 13, 2020, 09:38 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

Well, if you were me, you'd be shopping for a model 70 Winchester and not get hung up on the idea of, "brand new". Not when you could get a Classic Sporter or pre-64.... Heck, there's even an attractive pre-War on Gunbroker right now that hasn't hit your budget ceiling: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880667172
Own the legend.
Old October 13, 2020, 09:59 PM   #6
stan5677

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhyer View Post
You didn't state your purpose, but, for my money, I would look at a Browning X Bolt model or a Bergara B14 model.

If your budget needs to also include the scope, then I'm looking at a Tikka T3.
Mainly a hunting rifle.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Old October 13, 2020, 10:13 PM   #7
stan5677

Are Savages still any good?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Old October 14, 2020, 09:25 AM   #8
musicmatty

Just to inject a variant because it’s not a bolt action, but it fits your price range and it’s offered in different chamberings. Great reputation for high-quality and 100% American made.

https://youtu.be/o3-eWkKp4Oc
Old October 14, 2020, 04:23 PM   #9
stagpanther

Today was one of those days--I reached far back in the cabinet and grabbed a rifle I haven't shot in a long time--but an absolute classic in a caliber that is very persuasive in hunting although it "get's no love."

I talking about my special edition 24" barreled Ruger Hawkeye in 35 whelen. It is my favorite cartridge of the 30-06 family, and I've never understood why it isn't more popular.
Old October 14, 2020, 07:06 PM   #10
Scorch

I have had customers walk in and ask methis very same question, and I will tell you what I tell them. Go shopping, look at as many rifles as you can, try them for feel and fit and aesthetics. Once you find the rifle you want, keep looking to confirm and solidify your choice. Now, having said that, I really like controlled round feed actions, so that limits your choices to Ruger, Winchester, Kimber, Mauser, and CZ, perhaps others I am missing. If controlled round feed is not important to you, then there are literally dozens of push feed rifles on the market, fewer in your price range but still many to choose from. I would urge you to look at Weatherby, Remington, Sako, and whatever others as strike your fancy. You wouldn't let someone on a forum choose what pants you should wear, don't let someone on a forum choose what rifle you buy.

And don't forget to top your new rifle with a good quality scope. To many, this means as cheap as possible. To others it means as expensive as possible. To me it means as clear as possible with a good warranty. Leupold, Zeiss, Burris, Vortex are a few of my preferred options, but you choose what you like.
Old October 15, 2020, 04:28 PM   #11
hounddog409

Check out the Bergara B14 wilderness series. Its everything a M700 should be.
Cerekote. Performance trigger. Very nice stock.
All M700 rings, bases, etc, bolt right up.
Old October 15, 2020, 04:32 PM   #12
hounddog409

Dude, you have bad luck.

I have a bergara b14 wilderness terrain in 308. It shoots better than 1/2 Moa out to 500 yards.

They cost more than a t3, but do not use assinine proprietary mags, dont have to upgrade the stock, and the trigger is outstanding.

And it's cerekote.

Worth the couple more bucks. The cerekote for a hunting rifle is a no brainer.
Old October 17, 2020, 04:36 AM   #13
std7mag

I have 2 Savages (Stevens 200 originally 7mm-08, reamed to AI, now rebarreled to 250 Savage, and a model 111 in 7mm Rem Mag) 2 Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem & 257 Roberts.
Push feed, controled round feed, unless dangerous game hunting doesn't really matter.
All of my rifles have been purchased, used.
$259, $299 on the Savages. $400 each on the Rugers. All are capable of sub MOA if i do my part.
Saves a ton of money to get decent glass, and buy some hunting tags.

I've handled & shot a Tikka T3. Smooth action! Very capable accuracy wise. Just can't make the jump to spend $600 on a plastic stocked rifle.

You may want to consider Sightron for optics also.
I have Vortex & Burris, Sightron in same class but less expensive.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 17, 2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
All of my rifles have been purchased, used.
$259, $299 on the Savages. $400 each on the Rugers. All are capable of sub MOA if i do my part.
All rifles will shoot under half MOA when the person aiming them does their part. Sometimes under a quarter MOA, or smaller

Ballistic engineers have studied this phenomenon. Their conclusions are, for example, if the bullet is destined to shoot low and left, it gets aimed high and right when it leaves the barrel.

If you're the only person shooting the group, you do your part for every round fired.
Old October 17, 2020, 10:13 AM   #15
Nathan

Winchester 70 Extreme Weather.....The weakness in most factory rifles is the stock. This rifle comes with a Bell & Carlson stock.

Some factory rifles have models with the Bell & Carlson, HS Precision or McMillan stocks. This is a huge upgrade. Laminate is also a nice upgrade.

Winchester, CZ 550, Weatherby, Howa, Rem 700, Ruger Hawkeye and Savage can all be found with a better stock. Winchester 70 just happens to be my favorite action due to the safety and trigger.

You may have to bed them to get great accuracy, but they will all shoot.

Tikka is a great rifle, but doesn’t make my list due to the high force of a 3 lug and the stock.

Quote:
Are Savages still any good?
yes, with the right stock. Trigger replacements are generally so-so.

Last edited by Nathan; October 17, 2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old October 17, 2020, 11:34 AM   #16
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Winchester 70 Extreme Weather.....The weakness in most factory rifles is the stock. This rifle comes with a Bell & Carlson stock.

Some factory rifles have models with the Bell & Carlson, HS Precision or McMillan stocks. This is a huge upgrade. Laminate is also a nice upgrade.

Winchester, CZ 550, Weatherby, Howa, Rem 700, Ruger Hawkeye and Savage can all be found with a better stock. Winchester 70 just happens to be my favorite action due to the safety and trigger.

You may have to bed them to get great accuracy, but they will all shoot.

Tikka is a great rifle, but doesn’t make my list due to the high force of a 3 lug and the stock.

yes, with the right stock. Trigger replacements are generally so-so.
If I am not mistaken, the Tikka T3 is a 2 lug bolt.

To the OP, my very favorite are Winchester model 70 and Browning X-Bolt. The Begara action as stated above is what the Remington 700 should have been
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old October 17, 2020, 12:26 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...Mainly a hunting rifle..." Deer and other large game? You want BNIB? The $1100 to include sights?
Where and how you hunt will matter too. Lotta 'up' in the West.
Do not discount buying used. You can sometimes get a higher end rifle with a scope right after deer season. Lotta guys will miss a shot and blame the rifle instead of them not sighting in etc. and will sell the rifle after deer season.
Mind you, it's very hard to beat a Savage(an Axis is an entry level rifle) for out of the box accuracy. Their 'Combo's' do not come with low end junk scopes any more either.
"...may have to bed them..." Very few, if any, factory rifles do not require a trigger job and bedding.
Old October 17, 2020, 01:17 PM   #18
stan5677

I hunt out East and deer is on the menu here but I eventually want to an elk hunt.
Old October 17, 2020, 04:10 PM   #19
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Tikka is a great rifle, but doesn’t make my list due to the high force of a 3 lug (bolt).
What's bad about 3 lug bolts?

Some match rifles have 3, sometimes 4 lugs.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 17, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old October 17, 2020, 08:38 PM   #20
Chaparral

Wow for $1100 so many great things run through my mind. Of course being an older shooter I have had the question many times of ," If you had a choice of one gun and one caliber....?" A few things play into that choice. But living in Texas and mainly hunting the plains I love the older Remington 700s in .270 and .308. And give me a good old Leupold Vari x II in 3-9x40. Today yes Tikkas are great as everyone has mentioned. I also love the older Weatherbys, Sakos, & Rugers. Never been a big fan of Winchesters. And i really don't know why. I just really love pretty rifles with high gloss bluing, fancy wood, you older shooters know what I mean.
Old October 17, 2020, 09:10 PM   #21
Nathan

Quote:
What's bad about 3 lug bolts?
High cocking force
Old October 17, 2020, 10:19 PM   #22
stagpanther

Weatherby's have 6 and 9 in-line lugs on their bolts--I don't notice any difference between them and any 2 lug bolts I have.
Old October 18, 2020, 07:46 AM   #23
Nathan

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, the Tikka T3 is a 2 lug bolt.
Thanks. I stand corrected....hmmm.
Old October 18, 2020, 07:53 AM   #24
hooligan1

Give the Mauser M18 and go. They have good reviews good ng for them.
Old October 19, 2020, 01:22 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

"...I eventually want to..." Hard to beat a .30-06 or .308 with a 165 grain hunting bullet. A 165 will kill any game in North America. Including big bears.
Mind you, a .270 or any other .25 and up calibre will do it too. The advantage of the .30 cal is mostly about availability. Both .308 and .30-06 are everywhere.
Which commercial hunting rifle really doesn't make much difference. They're all pretty much the same. Go to your local shop and see which one 'speaks' to you.