The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 30, 2020, 07:51 PM   #26
smee78

Thank you for taking the time to help a new shooter. Even if the AR7 is the only gun he is comfortable shooting then its still a win win.
Old November 30, 2020, 07:58 PM   #27
Rangerrich99

I just recently re-watched James Bond's "From Russia with Love," so got to see the little bugger in action again. I forgot that Bond's AR-7 had what looks like a wood stock. Probably that movie is what got me interested in owning an AR-7 in the first place.
Old December 1, 2020, 05:13 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

In the movie, Bond's rifle was said to be a .25 but not specific beyond that, and as I recall he shot down a helicopter with it (which did the classic "crash behind a hill" so offscreen. Helicopters are expensive!)

Bond's PPK .32 was also said to "hit like a brick through a plate glass window" and the CIA guy's .38 special was "a cannon".

Don't get your gun facts from Ian Fleming or any movie based on his works.

I've handled and shot a few AR-7s nice little guns for what they are, though I always found the wrist of the stock to be uncomfortably thick. A result of making the stock big enough to hold the action, I'm sure.

I never tested the claim that the rifle, stowed in the stock would float, but if true, that would be a plus if you're anywhere you and it might go into the water (like a plane crash or a canoe overturninig...)
Old December 2, 2020, 02:56 PM   #29
shurshot

Hey, if Det. Frank Cannon can shoot down a plane with a snub Colt .38, 007 can take out a helicopter with a .25 AR-7!!
Old December 7, 2020, 09:48 PM   #30
langenc

As to the barrels 'getting to hot to handle' no worry.

The friend shot 6 mags--but over what time frame?? I suspect they only had one or two mags w/ 8 or so rounds each. Mine came w/ only one mag. I dont recall that there was space in the stock for another let alone 3 or 4 more.. My wife burned it up along w/ the house and I never got a replacement so
I cant check on those things.
Old December 8, 2020, 06:06 PM   #31
ballardw

Watch out for the Charter Arms magazines. Made for the Charter Arms AR-7 and they have a "bump" that means they will not seat well in Armalite versions. The Henry mags work in the Armalite so suspect the Charter Arms may not.

I think one of the versions of the "La Femme Nikita" movie also used the AR-7 as a take down sniper rifle and I'm pretty sure I've seen it at least one other movie besides the Bond flick.

And don't forget the Charter Arms pistol based on the AR-7 design. They modified the frame/barrel latching system so the barrels couldn't be interchanged. It wouldn't float like the rifle though.
Old December 11, 2020, 05:09 PM   #32
bandur60

Had a Charter Arms model for a short time -- two passes at a gunsmith and it still wouldn't run a magazine without jam(s). Cabela's had a sale on the Henry, for less than I'd paid for the CA (used). The magazines that came with it were better than the CA, still not 100%, and one call to Henry resulted in replacements that have not missed a beat in 2 - 3 years. I'm with the other owners in praise of Henry's CS!
Old February 15, 2021, 02:05 AM   #33
greg531mi

AR7's are great boat/floatplane guns, because they are designed to float!
Old February 15, 2021, 11:01 AM   #34
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie View Post
I've always been interested in the AR-7, but could never figure out how to shoot it. There's no fore end. Assuming you're shooting right handed, where do you put your left hand?
I’ve always just grasped the front of the receiver/magazine area.
Kind of like a vertical fore-grip, finger and thumb opposed on the knurled barrel nut.
I’ve got gorilla hands yet it works good.