The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 9, 2020, 08:17 PM   #1
rc

Gun Stocks Drop

I believe the election in question, there is still a fear that gun control will reduce the profits of gun companies.
Old November 9, 2020, 09:14 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not related to Law & Civil Rights. Moved to General Discussion.
Jeepaholic
Old November 10, 2020, 01:59 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

That's an odd one. Until at least a new president (and assuming there is a change since that's all up in the air at the moment) could change some laws, I would think that everybody and their dog would be scrambling to get guns on the proposed ban list.

It's not like we haven't seen this before...

Tony
Old November 10, 2020, 03:04 AM   #4
roscoe

The gun purchasing surge was a response to the pandemic and the potential for unrest around the election. Two major pharmaceutical companies announced new COVID drugs today and the election is over (without major civil unrest). Folks are optimistic for the future, therefore the expectation is that gun sales will drop.

I will be glad when it calms down enough so I can get primers.
Old November 11, 2020, 01:18 AM   #5
Ignition Override

roscoe: Nice summary of the present "big picture".

Ladies & Gentlemen: even if Biden continues further down the path to an inauguration and receives the Official Electoral Votes by the required date of Dec. 14th or 15th, let's also remember 2008-2009: Pres. Obama was not About to use all of his "political capital" (potential support) for an antigun bill.

He had already planned for a huge, major healthcare act, and even had to 'buy off' some Senators to receive their critical votes. A huge number of people who 'knew' that he would waste all of his support trying to ban AR-15s or such....were either totally ignorant of Obama's sole objective-- or >>> were Lying to the "gullible herd" <<<. $$$$ Profits were earned then by selling thousands of ARs etc which vast numbers of new owners did not really want.....

Why, logically, would Biden--having a (now) fractured Dem. Party, whether they retain a small Senate majority, or not--want to gamble all of his initial, squabbling Congressional support on an antigun bill which does not Give people anything (nor help our ravaged economy)....? No "bread and circuses" for the anxious masses.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 11, 2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old November 12, 2020, 12:21 AM   #6
5whiskey

Quote:
Why, logically, would Biden--having a (now) fractured Dem. Party, whether they retain a small Senate majority, or not--want to gamble all of his initial, squabbling Congressional support on an antigun bill which does not Give people anything (nor help our ravaged economy)....? No "bread and circuses" for the anxious masses.
I largely agree. Well, except that Dems will hold no senate majority. They MAY get to a tie, but I don’t thing so. Republicans hold 50 seats now. Alaska has been called, and though the AP hasn’t called NC (out of a pipe dream that all 116k outstanding absentee ballots will come back in and be over 90% for Cal Cunningham) Cunningham has conceded to Tillis.

At any rate, there is still the filibuster to block gun control if the pro-gun party can keep their members in line. Several democrat senators are saying they will not agree to end the legislative filibuster. Also, this isn’t the “wave” election they were hoping for. I think major bans is a dead issue, though I could see something like internet sales being messed with.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 12, 2020, 12:33 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gun stocks were down but with fear of civil unrest and a regime change (ain't gonna happen) I'd imagine sales would improve.
Old November 12, 2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

I'd like to see a source. That said, tracking stocks one month to the next is a terrible way to glean data. Gun and ammunition companies are dealing with the same Covid problems as everyone else, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. There are likely other factors at work as well.
Old November 14, 2020, 02:46 PM   #9
Mk VII

I thought this was going to be about the amount of 'drop' you get on your rifle/shotgun's stock.